Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB(F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL) overclocking/timing help

Hi all,

So i'm new to the site but have been looking around, researching, trying, etc. to overclock my RAM.

my build

So i've had mixed success OC'ing the CPU anywhere past 4.3 which is where it's at and stable. I can get it to boot and somewhat usable at 4.4 @ 1.3v but beyond that i' haven't tried so i reduced it back down to 4.3. I've also been able to get my GPU OC'ed to a stable 1400mhz.

Now, my RAM was just set to the XMP profile 1 which is 1866mhz @ 1.5v, I've overclocked it to 2000 using same 9-10-9-28 timings but what i need help with is pushing it past that. I can get it to boot at 2133mhz but the timings are no longer 9-10-9-28 and based on the research i have been able to find, which isn't satisfying, tells me that might not be any better so any help or clarification will greatly help here. Welcome any further questions because i really want to get the most out of every component and with my corsair H100i cooler I know it can handle it. Thank you!

That link for your build does not work for me, can you please list the components?

Other than that just try if DDR3-2133 11-11-11-28 and DDR3-2400 11-13-13-31 at 1.6V are stable and compare the performance with your previous settings yourself. For LGA1155/LGA1150 a higher memory ratio offers bigger performance gains than tighter timings, at least up to DDR3-2400 (DDR3-2400 11-13-13-31 is faster than DDR3-2000 9-10-9-28).
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

please let me know if this link doesn't work but if not it's the F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/johnfenuccio/saved/xqYTwP via @PCPartPicker

Comment

update for G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4gb 1866mhz DDR3 CL9 series

so i've reset the advanced timings to auto and set the DRAM frequency to 2133 and rebooted so now i just need help applying the best stress test towards it, i've seen everyone talk about memtest86 or 64 but i must be doing something wrong because every time i download it, it looks to burn a cd/usb soo any help on that one too would be great to hopefully determine if this is stable.

Also, the timings are 10,11,10,32 hopefully this pic. shows
        Attached Files

Comment

basically what i'm looking to find out because it's unclear based on my research is essentially, for haswell i5 4670k cpu, gtx750 ti ftw acx cooler, and F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL RAM (ripjaws x 2x4gb 1866mhz) is it better to have my RAM running at the 9-10-9-28 cl9 timings its XMP profile uses, or the 2133 mhz i can get it to run using auto timings which inevitably end up looser, basically is it CL or mhz that is king for me?

Comment

MHz, your settings in that first picture looks good. Did you test and see what's better?

Comment

do you mean the one that shows it running at 2133mhz? I haven't tested in with Memtest because i ironically haven't figured out how to exactly get that test to run but i was playing my games and what not using the 2133mhz overclock, i just wasn't sure if increasing the timings removed any positives for increasing the voltage, hopefully that makes sense

Comment

by the way, this is my setup w/ it back to 2133mhz, can i adjust or should i adjust the timings manually? currently they're set to auto with the 2133mhz overclock

Last edited by Jabes; 03-26-2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

"..increasing the timings removed any positives for increasing the voltage.."

I thought about it for a minute, still not sure what you mean.

If those are AUTO settings, the BIOS did a great job. Those are the exact settings I would tell you to input. May be best to manually set them in BIOS so they don't change.

Comment

yeah i guess what i meant was while i can set the frequency to 1866mhz w/ 9-10-9-28 just fine and when i set the timings to auto, and crank up the frequency to 2133mhz, you're correct, those are the auto timings that loaded upon boot-up. So if you're saying those are actually ideal then i'll go ahead and manually enter those so they don't change. What i didn't know was essentially is 186mhz @ 9-10-9-28 better or worse than 2166mhz @ 10-11-10-32? Should i try bumping the 32 to 31 as i thought the 4th number was supposed to be the combination of the first 3?

Appreciate the help, just trying to establish the preferable settings as far as my RAM goes

Comment

Use a benchmark test to see what produces the best result.

For that CPU, I think you will find the higher frequency to win. Post some pics of the result

Comment

Working...
                      X