Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So this is the story all about how, my RAM got turned right upside down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this is the story all about how, my RAM got turned right upside down.

So tldr, got a dead stick and the other stick dead RGB

I bought myself the F4-3200C16D-16GTZR kit to go along with a brand new Ryzen build. Installed, perfect RGB perfect clock speeds. 1 month 4 days in (conveniently 4 days past Newegg warranty), I started messing around with the RGB software, setting specific LEDs to different colors... Then 1 day 1 of them decides to kick the bucket, and when i tried to turn on the comp, no POST. At first i didn't know what the heck to do, but luckily I have a debug screen on mobo, and found that it was my RAM causing the problem. Started troubleshooting by switching slots. Took out stick 1, tried stick 2 in every slot, still no POST. Took stick 2 out, put stick 1 in, runs well able to POST in every RAM slot. Decided to try a BIOS update to see if it was just a compatibility issue but im up to date, even to the highest Beta bios and no improvement.

System was perfectly stable, no OC, before I started messing with the Beta software.
    Stick 2's LEDs don't work anymore, and the RGB software does not detect any modules anymore.
    Ive tried everything short of reinstalling windows. Uninstalled CAM/RGB Fusion/LINK reinstalled/uninstalled TRidentZRGB about 1298 times.
    Debug code is 03

So my question to you is, is this just a bad kit?
    I mean it can happen right?
    Is this a software glitch?
    RGB coding broke the RAM is plausible I guess.
    Or is this Ryzen playing foul?
    I've heard it has compatibility issues, but the fact that it was working before hand makes me skeptical.

Rig:
    Ryzen 1700
    Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 r1

note: Ive already submitted an RMA, awaiting a response.
    Attached Files

Well, we'll have to analyze the modules to find out what went bad, and possible causes of this. Please request an RMA replacement, and once we get the kit back, we'll have our engineering take a look at it.

Thanks!

Comment

Ive already requested one, been 48 hours waiting for the number.

But I was just asking in a matter of opinion tbh

Comment

Actually update, received my numbers late last night.

Comment

try on different ram slots
          Intel i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz 1.36v 53c Max Temp
          Asrock Z270 Extreme4
          16GB Trident Z RGB 3000MHz
          Galax GTX 1070 Hall Of Fame
          Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W
          ID Cooling Frostflow 240L-W

Comment

Originally posted by botee View Post
            try on different ram slots
            All RAM slots work with Ramstick 1, Zero Ram slots work with Ramstick 2.

Comment

How's RMA going?

Comment

Originally posted by Saturnus View Post
                How's RMA going?
                Successfull RMA! They declined to refurbish the Ramsticks, and replaced them instead. This mightve been a case of just a faulty set honestly. But at the same time, Ryzen is/was killing a lot of TridentZ's for people. Dont know what the cause was, the RMA took just 5 days, I got the confirmation numbers 2 days after i requested them, and just 3 days for shipping both ways.

Comment

i could literally copy your problem and just replace that i have a c14 kit and a 1700x

same Mobo, same problem, first all was great, except for ram speeds coudn'T get it to 3200, but that was fine, then after a reboot the pc wouldn't go post boot. i think my error was 0d.

after messing around and inserting the rams in different slots, i took one out, and pc would start, the leds were fine, then they remained in this position

so here a picture of my working ram in terms of ram with broken led
                  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...1cwX0dGamx0dU0

and here's a video where both sticks worked (but the stick which would say bye had led problems)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...2tXU1AtZHJmV1U

Comment

Originally posted by joschi View Post
                    i could literally copy your problem and just replace that i have a c14 kit and a 1700x

same Mobo, same problem, first all was great, except for ram speeds coudn'T get it to 3200, but that was fine, then after a reboot the pc wouldn't go post boot. i think my error was 0d.

after messing around and inserting the rams in different slots, i took one out, and pc would start, the leds were fine, then they remained in this position

so here a picture of my working ram in terms of ram with broken led
                    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...1cwX0dGamx0dU0

and here's a video where both sticks worked (but the stick which would say bye had led problems)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...2tXU1AtZHJmV1U
                    I tried to reply to your message yesterday but the forum said your inbox was full or something Idk.

I had my sticks at 3200. But im still not sure what the actual problem was. Ive seen reports about Either the mobo or the BetaRGB software, overwriting the SPD of the ram, even though its Read-only. Which seems impossible but idk, also dont know how accurate that is. But technically the TridentZRGB is the only Trident Z series not officially supported by the Gaming 5 mobo.

Right now, after my RMA I uninstalled all the beta software, and im up to date on BIOS and ive decided not to overclock the RAM speeds whatsoever, and all seems fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X