X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring RAM

Hi

I just bought some new memory ram called G.Skill F3-2133C9D-16GTX

My motherboard is the Gigabyte Z68 D3 B3 and I am using i5 2500k, it says my motherboard supports 2133mhz DDR3 ram though I was told by one guy that I will be lucky to get 1866mhz.. but now I been told by someone else that infact no, if my support supports 2133mhz I should be able to get 2133mhz. He told me to just use XMP profile but it doesnt work. I googled this problem and found a forum where someone suggested a few tweaks to the profile, so I did that and yes it booted up using the profile 2. I am just unsure now and being cautious so I have taken some photos of what I feel are the important pages in my BIOS and I am kindly asking for some experts to take a read through it all for me and inform me of anything that needs/should be changed.

Performance Enhance - Standard

DRAM Timings Selectable - Expert

Looks good, make sure tRFC is maximum value. Also, manually input main DRAM settings to avoid any change.

Comment

What do you mean by manually input main DRAM settings, which settings do you mean exactly?

This might be what you are relating too but I had a question:

When I have selected XMP Profile 2 at 2133mhz.. It says 2134 on the left but still says 1600 on the right.
      Why? And is this what you mean I need to change manually, so match the 1600 to the 2134(3) ?

Comment

Also just so you know, the performance enhance other option is standard/turbo/extreme. Still choose standard for this yes? By default it was on turbo.

Comment

The main timings and primary timings should be input.

Performance Enhance Standard is perfect

Comment

Which page are these timings you are talking about on? I dont know what you mean

Comment

I dont understand CPU Z readings either. Is my RAM running at 1600mhz or 2133mhz?

Comment

Somehow I lost it all.
                Duno what I did but I managed to get on with CPU @ 4.2ghz and RAM @ 2133mhz, it worked... Then I got cocky and googled the best DDR3 timings for 2133mhz and changed it to them, failed to boot. Defaulted back, now it wont boot up in 2133mhz again. Just spent an hour trying, cant get it back to how it was when it worked. Absolutely gutted.
                Stuck back on 1600mhz now

Comment

Originally posted by DStruct View Post
                  Somehow I lost it all.
                  ... Then I got cocky and googled the best DDR3 timings for 2133mhz and changed it to them,....
                  Google is NOT your friend in this instance.

What works on mine, that I posted specs on, chances are likely will not work on yours.

Be your own friend, relax and don't expect to reach the peak in one night. Plugging away at it with constant trips into the BIOS and frequent reaching around to press the Clear CMOS button is how to learn of YOUR systems capabilities. Googling is simply following from behind, with nothing "learned'.

Comment

I know what you are saying but I havent got a clue what I am doing, Theres like 20 different numbers and I wouldnt know where to start.. I was hoping XMP would work but it doesnt, are there no normal values that this ram SHOULD work on at 2133mhz on my motherboard?
                    Maybe if someone can show me what XMP SHOULD be setting the timings too so I can compare with what mine are being adjusted too, to at least see if something is going wrong.. that would help, if they are the same then something is wrong in another kind of way too

Comment

G Skill have told me to RMA the ram but I dont think its faulty, I just have a feeling my motherboard is not setting up the XMP properly some how, Ive read somewhere that that can happen sometimes, timings arent what they are meant to be etc...

So can anyone tell me what the timings SHOULD be please? So I can try doing it all manually (Yes copying/not learning I know)

Comment

Please look through this. This is the best I can do on my own. With XMP enabled but I have to downclock the speed. I want to be able to not downclock it, last time someone told me to change some of the timings and it worked.. allowing me to leave the XMP overclock as it should be, but I forgot what the timings were.

Comment

Have you tried Profile 1?

Main timings are the ones you see on the RAM, 9-11-11-31 1.60V

Which slots are you using on the motherboard?

Comment

I am pretty sure a tRFC of 22 is way off, so this one you probably need to correct. Everything else looks reasonable enough. You can get the full timings from Aida64 > Motherboard > SPD. The tRFC is probably 200+ for 8GB modules at DDR3-2133. So if the actual value is higher then what you can set, just try for the maximum possible value the bios accepts (usually 255 for P67 and early Z68 models).
                            Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Working...
                            X