Memory Chip Architecture Used In Modules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Chip Architecture Used In Modules

Is there a source of information on the memory chip depths and widths (ie memory chip density) used in G.Skill memory modules?

If there is no information (readily) available, then it is requested that memory chip depth and width details be added to module specifications. This is needed as an aid in determining memory compatibility with motherboards/systems not included in the G.Skill Memory Configurator.

Actually an email was sent to customer service many months ago requesting that memory chip details be added to module specifications. But I never received a response, and memory chip details are still not shown in module specifications unfortunately.

My guess is density will probably not be added to specs, because it does sometimes change with IC availability. For example many older 2x4GB and 4x4GB DDR3 models were transitioned from then phased out 2Gbit ICs to more current 4GBit ICs. This will likely also happen with several DDR4 models, that were built from 4Gbit ICs originally, but will eventually have to be transitioned to some 8GBit IC if that is possible at their specs.

Yes, it would sometimes be very helpful to have have IC density information beforehand, but on the other hand it wouldn't really help you if there were dozens of SN ranges stated in the specs with their respective densities. In most cases when ordering online, you wouldn't be able to order from a specific SN range anyways. While most actual stores let you check the density before buying if thats important to you, at least if they consider themselves somewhat customer-friendly.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

The density for a specific memory module I would expect to remain the same, regardless of the source of the memory chips, in order to maintain compatibility for that specific module throughout its lifetime.

The issue is that if there is no listing for a motherboard/system in the Memory Configurator, then it is down to guess work as to what memory is or isn't compatible. This is where knowledge of memory chip density (actually memory depth x width would be preferable) would almost guarantee that memory of interest has the appropriate specifications to work with the motherboard/system of interest.

In my case, and for many others also probably, there is no local computer store available that (might) allow you to try different modules until compatible memory is eventually found. So we have to purchase memory from online stores.

So the problem will most likely arise that if having to chose memory based on guess work only (with no information on memory chip depth x width), then it is likely that a lot of time and money will have to be spent trying to find compatible memory. This means having to pay for return postage and possibly a restocking fee as well until compatible memory is found. This is of course a waste of time and money; not an ideal situation at all.

I don't really see any difficulty in just adding memory chip depth x width details to memory module specifications. There may be hundreds of memory modules available that need to have their specifications updated, but it only takes a few keystrokes to add the chip depth x width details.

Comment

This information can vary over the lifetime of a specific model so we do not want to cause confusion or have more models for the same item.

Comment

The chip depth and width of memory chips used in specific modules changes over the lifetime of that module? That could make the same module become incompatible with systems that previously worked with memory chips that had different memory chip architecture originally. That doesn't seem to be a logical move.

So if one wants to find compatible G.Skill memory for certain motherboards that are not listed in the Memory Configurator, what would be the suggested quickest and cheapest procedure for determining compatible memory?

Comment

It's not necessarily a move we decide on, but chip supply can drastically change over time and we have no option. We only sell new RAM so we must follow new supply based on new manufacturing standards.

For compatibility questions, contact us directly with hardware specifications and we can make sure you get the correct RAM for your system.

Comment

So if I had a motherboard that was not listed in the Memory Configurator, and I want to know ALL compatible G.Skill memory for that motherboard, would that be OK? And would the current memory chip architecture details be provided as well?

Also, as I often research compatible memory for motherboards/systems on behalf of others, could I request details of ALL compatible G.Skill memory for each of the motherboards/systems (note that there may be up to six or seven motherboards/systems for checking for compatible memory during a week)?

Comment

Yes, you don't need to know all compatible memory, you need to know the best memory for the motherboard/computer.

Yes, you can contact us with any questions, multiple times per week. We can help to the best of our ability.

Comment

Working...
                X