Trouble with F4-4133C19D-16GTZKW booting to Windows on Z270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with F4-4133C19D-16GTZKW booting to Windows on Z270

I purchased this 2x8GB set based on my motherboards QLV memory list here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z270%20Taichi/#Memory

It's the ASRock Z270 Taichi.

Im not able to get the F4-4133C19D-16GTZKW kit booting to Windows at anything over 3733Mhz. The best timings I can get from the kit are 19-19-19-39 at 3733Mhz. At this speed and timings the voltages in H/W Monitor show:
    DRAM Voltage = 1.376v
    VCCIO = 1.224v
    VCCSA = 1.280v

I tried these voltages, as well as bumping them up a little to try to get the 4133mhz to boot to windows, but it seems there is no configuration I can choose to get me there. Both sticks are in slot 2 and 4 in the mobo as that is considered "Priority 1" in the mobo manual.

At this point, im on the verge of returning the kit, and picking up the 3600CL16, ot 3600CL15 kit instead since it seems more likely I'll be able to run them at rated spec.

Any other suggestions that might get me to be able to run at 4133mhz?

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Need much higher VCCIO and VCCSA. Or maybe your CPU can not support it.

Also, we only have the motherboard certified for DDR4-3866, so the rated spec of the RAM may not be possible.

https://www.gskill.com/en/configurat...859&model=2881

No point in swapping for lower performance RAM, you can just run at a lower frequency with lower timings. Save time and money

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have the latest bios which for my board is 1.30. It's a little frustratinng that my mobo manufactures website RAM QLV list shows this 4133kit is supported, while GSkills data indicates it isn't. I can understand the miscommunication between companies as either is obligated to confirm with the other. However the XMP Profile does exist for this RAM and it is set in the bios.
      So, if 3866 is confirmed by GSkill with what looks like 18-19-19-39 timing for most 3866 kits.. hypothetically I should be able to set my RAM speed and timings to match and expect a bootable result?

You mention my voltages are low.. I did bump them up to the point my bios showed they were in the "red zone" I think 1.4v DR, 1.25v IO and 1.35v SA is where I decided to stop trying. Can you give an example of ample voltage for these setting and what it typically takes to get the rated specs to boot at these frequencies?

I also understand i may be CPU limited, and that limit may be 3733mhz. As far as mentioning switching to a "lower performing ram". My thought on this is 3600 16-16-16 is going to provide as much bandwidth (if not more) and lower latency results than 3733 19-19-19.. based on some other data I have been looking through, I could be wrong, but I'm seeing it as a boost to performance.
      Thanks for the help.
      Last edited by AtomicRon; 03-30-2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I purchased the DDR4 4000 kit, and it also is on the QVL list for my board (Asus ROG Code)

I also can't get it to run at anything over 3600 without errors... And that is setting the RAM voltage to 1.49

I think there are still a lot of unknowns about this high frequency DDR4 and I sure wish G.Skill or some of these board makers would tell us exactly how high these voltages can go for safe every day use. VICCSA, VICCIO, and VDIMM voltages are somewhat all over the board when you read through all the different forums and manufacturers....

Comment

Each company conducts their own tests based on their standards. For example, G.Skill QVL means the RAM can work with XMP enabled alone (using a fully capable CPU), whereas motherboard QVL may mean the motherboard is capable of it with additional tweaking.

You are correct, the RAM will have no problem with 3866 settings of a lower frequency kit. The benefit of having a higher rated kit is you can lower timings if you choose to operate the 4133 kit at 3866.
          This is also the reason you do not need to switch to a lower kit, I think any money saved would be spent on sending it back anyway (maybe even cost more), whereas you could just enjoy lower timings with the existing kit.

Comment

Sedril,

The RAM is guaranteed at the rated specs, so it definitely does not need higher than 1.40V if you are attempting near it's rated specs.

There's plenty of information, it is all very known and really the same concept as previous generations. ASUS even has an OC Guide, you may find the Voltage values inconsistent because it varies with each CPU (even of the same exact model). It is also known as the silicon lottery. Each i7-7700K CPU will have different slightly different results and needs. One may reach DDR4-4000, the other may only reach DDR4-3600. One may need VCCSA 1.35V, the other may only need 1.30V. For this reason each user needs to understand the concept and test for themselves. These extreme frequencies are technically for extreme OC and highly advanced users. Luckily with XMP and manufacturer capabilities it's much easier these days but for the upper range there is no average Voltage that will work across the board. Intel recommends DDR4-2133/2400 for these CPUs, so for DDR4-3200 (+33%) to run smoothly with no additional tweaks is already very good. You can't expect the max of a platform (eg. DDR4-4000+, +100%) to be that easy to set up.

For easy set up and the best compatibility to reach your target, always follow the G.Skill QVL or RAM configurator on the website.
            Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 03-31-2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I do understand that each setup will have different needs. I'm very experienced with OCing both RAM and CPU's... What I mainly was referring to was what the max recommended voltages are for each so we at least have a ceiling where we would stop. For instance, the kit I bought is rated DDR4 4000. It's on the QVL list from G.Skill as well as ASUS for my board. I've only been able to get to 3600 so far stable and that's with 1.49v on the RAM. Anything higher and I have to crank up the VCCIO and VCCSA and I'm just not sure what the max would be there, when to stop and say that's the best it can do without killing it... I also have another 7700k that I will be testing this weekend to see if I can achieve higher freq. with it... I know I'm betting toward the top with the 1.49v since I don't want to kill the RAM sticks, and I'm only using two sticks of a 4 stick kit. So basically I paid for 32GB of DDR4 4000, and I am ending up with 16GB DDR4 3600... Hopefully the other CPU will do better, if not I'd have to assume the RAM just can't do it...

Comment

I don't see why you would increase DRAM Voltage to 1.49V. That's not effective because the RAM doesn't need it.

VCCIO and VCCSA can be 1.35V and even higher, just make sure the system is attempting to use the Voltage, and not just for no reason.

The RAM is guaranteed at the rated specs, so if it is a problem with RAM you can send them in for RMA and get a new kit.

Comment

Well, I've been trying to dial in this new system and the RAM has only been stable once I started giving it higher voltages... I have it at 1.45 now with SA at 1.35 and IO at 1.33 and I can get 3866, but 4000 is still a no go even at those voltages.. I'm going to try another CPU this weekend and see if it helps. I appreciate your input! It'd be great to get this dialed in to it's rated 4000 setting. I've got my CPU running at 5ghz with great temps (Custom water cooling).. We'll see how it goes with the other CPU, crossing my fingers it goes higher than 3866 with less voltage hopefully...

Comment

Ok, so different processor and still same issues. Can't get it to 4000, and can't use all 32GB once I'm up at 3866 like I am now. Still occasionally get the "55" (no ram) error upon restarting the computer too.

Is it possible it's the RAM? Should I RMA them just to make sure?

Comment

That is the max of that motherboard. We are only able to achieve DDR4-3866 as well with that combination. You can test each module to verify they have consistent results, and if they do, the RAM should be fine.

Comment

I have finally been successful at reaching DDR4 4000.

Can you tell me what timings you used for 3866? I am still concerned about perfect stability at 4000 so I may decide to drop it to 3866 just to be safe and would like to know what timings would be best.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X