Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I just RMA these for a non-RGB set of RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I just RMA these for a non-RGB set of RAM?

This is actually insane.

Just looking over threads for MONTHS you see that we are no closer than we were back then to having a resolution. It seems to be a very common trend that either the software doesn't work, doesn't detect or potentially corrupts data. This isn't alarming to anyone else?

I purchased this RAM because on the retail page it leads you to believe that you can change the colors. I have not been able to do that. I have lurked here for a while and just recently taken the dive. Nothing else in my system has an LED control functions. I have other components that could have the software, but have not used it - mostly in fear of issues with the RAM.

I have a clean install of Windows. Have no other LED controller programs. I have a motherboard that is now (Z370) supported. I download and install the software, I am greeted with the infamous "lol u dont hav ramz" error and unable to do anything about it. Both Windows and my BIOS are fully updated. I've gone through dozens of threads and completed endless amounts of troubleshooting and wasted plenty of my time. I really don't want this rainbow. If I had known this software was either awful or would never be released in a functioning capacity, then I would have purchased a set of RAM that was a solid color.

Maybe the rainbow wouldn't be so bad if the chips actually stayed in sync, but they cannot even manage to do that. I am so utter disappointed in this purchase. I never though I'd be so pissed off over RAM. At least they function at the appropriate speed, so it isn't a total loss... for now.

Originally posted by Powerful Wizard IRL View Post
    This is actually insane.

Just looking over threads for MONTHS you see that we are no closer than we were back then to having a resolution. It seems to be a very common trend that either the software doesn't work, doesn't detect or potentially corrupts data. This isn't alarming to anyone else?

I purchased this RAM because on the retail page it leads you to believe that you can change the colors. I have not been able to do that. I have lurked here for a while and just recently taken the dive. Nothing else in my system has an LED control functions. I have other components that could have the software, but have not used it - mostly in fear of issues with the RAM.

I have a clean install of Windows. Have no other LED controller programs. I have a motherboard that is now (Z370) supported. I download and install the software, I am greeted with the infamous "lol u dont hav ramz" error and unable to do anything about it. Both Windows and my BIOS are fully updated. I've gone through dozens of threads and completed endless amounts of troubleshooting and wasted plenty of my time. I really don't want this rainbow. If I had known this software was either awful or would never be released in a functioning capacity, then I would have purchased a set of RAM that was a solid color.

Maybe the rainbow wouldn't be so bad if the chips actually stayed in sync, but they cannot even manage to do that. I am so utter disappointed in this purchase. I never though I'd be so pissed off over RAM. At least they function at the appropriate speed, so it isn't a total loss... for now.

I feel you man. I built my PC in February and have a lot of RGB stuff going on. An RGB motherboard, RGB graphics card, I opted for solid color LED fans, RGB mechanical keyboard, and even an RGB Razor Orbweaver mechanical gaming keyboard. All my RGB stuff works fine... except the ram, that has the potential to be the most impressive part of the whole set-up. But you know, my PC is about a year old now and I've always had this odd not playing well with others RGB ram that has kept my best ever PC from being the masterpiece I envisioned when I bought this RAM. I'll most likely have this PC for another year, but then I'll be looking to do another build, and I highly doubt I ever get this RAM working the way it was advertised.
    Gigabyte Z270 Gaiming 7 (GA-Z270X Gaiming 7) BIOS F4
    Intel i5 7600k
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 (GV-N1070G1 GAIMING-8GD)
    4x G.Skill Trident Z RGB (DDR4 2400 - PC4 19200)
    1TB Samsung 960 EVO
    Win10 Home 64bit

Comment

Possible Fix?

Hi there,

This may not help you, but I was able to get around the issue of RAM not being detected on version 1.00.28 on Windows 10. Maybe it won't work for you, but since I've done this it has worked fine for me.

1. Download the zipped v1.00.28 installation files from the support page (do NOT extract yet)
      2. Navigate to the folder where you saved the zipped folder. Right click on the folder and open up Properties
      3. In the General tab of the Properties window, the last section of the tab is the Attributes section. In here, look for a checkbox that is labeled "Unblock". If such a checkbox is not present, then unfortunately my fix won't work for you. However, if the box is there, check it then click "Apply". Once you've done that, click "Okay" to close the Properties window. If you want to be extra safe, re-open the Properties window and verify that the "Unblock" checkbox is now gone.
      4. Proceed to extract the files from the zipped folder as you would normally, then install. When I next ran the software, it was able to detect my RAM and I was able to control the LEDs

IMPORTANT NOTES:
      1. As you've probably seen elsewhere, I do not recommend using other LED control software simultaneously with the G.Skill software. I personally am using a Gigabyte board with RGB Fusion, and I can simply open up task manager and force kill the application there before running the G.Skill software to control the RAM. Once I'm done, I can then use task manager to kill the "LightingService" task and then reopen RGB Fusion if I need to. ASUS Aura might be fine but I don't know anything about that, personally.
      2. Unfortunately, one or two of the sticks can forget its/their setting(s) when the PC powers on after a shutdown or restart. This can be easily resolved by just opening up the G.Skill software and re-applying the settings. Again, if you're using another LED control software package, you should probably kill that process as described above before attempting to reset the RAM lighting.

I hope this helps! In my case, it appears that this issue was actually caused by problems with Windows 10 rather than G.Skill's software.

Comment

Holy crap!...that worked for me! Awesome. Thanks.

I'm running Asrock x399 Taichi with F4-3200C14Q-32GTZRX
        Last edited by wilsonc945; 12-04-2017, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreDormin View Post
          Hi there,

This may not help you, but I was able to get around the issue of RAM not being detected on version 1.00.28 on Windows 10. Maybe it won't work for you, but since I've done this it has worked fine for me.

1. Download the zipped v1.00.28 installation files from the support page (do NOT extract yet)
          2. Navigate to the folder where you saved the zipped folder. Right click on the folder and open up Properties
          3. In the General tab of the Properties window, the last section of the tab is the Attributes section. In here, look for a checkbox that is labeled "Unblock". If such a checkbox is not present, then unfortunately my fix won't work for you. However, if the box is there, check it then click "Apply". Once you've done that, click "Okay" to close the Properties window. If you want to be extra safe, re-open the Properties window and verify that the "Unblock" checkbox is now gone.
          4. Proceed to extract the files from the zipped folder as you would normally, then install. When I next ran the software, it was able to detect my RAM and I was able to control the LEDs

IMPORTANT NOTES:
          1. As you've probably seen elsewhere, I do not recommend using other LED control software simultaneously with the G.Skill software. I personally am using a Gigabyte board with RGB Fusion, and I can simply open up task manager and force kill the application there before running the G.Skill software to control the RAM. Once I'm done, I can then use task manager to kill the "LightingService" task and then reopen RGB Fusion if I need to. ASUS Aura might be fine but I don't know anything about that, personally.
          2. Unfortunately, one or two of the sticks can forget its/their setting(s) when the PC powers on after a shutdown or restart. This can be easily resolved by just opening up the G.Skill software and re-applying the settings. Again, if you're using another LED control software package, you should probably kill that process as described above before attempting to reset the RAM lighting.

I hope this helps! In my case, it appears that this issue was actually caused by problems with Windows 10 rather than G.Skill's software.
          This. Sticky this. I've had one hell of a time making it work on my MSI gaming pro carbon x370.

Other than that. Why not just make it work with Mystic Light, so we can skip this buggy software.
          Last edited by elvarg; 12-09-2017, 08:31 AM.

Comment

After getting it to work "Sorta". I choose to sell them and get some Corsair Vengeance RGB. Due to the hassle and headache aren't worth it. Each time my systems starts up again do i have to open the program and change mode and then back again in order for them to show the mode and color i set them to before reboot.

Comment

Working...
            X