Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to enable XMP/manually overclock G.SKILL memory with ASUS X79 & SB-E or IB-E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its currently stable at 4.2Ghz, with CPU-Z showing 1.328V for VCore, so I'll probably leave it at that for the moment, see how she gets on. CPU-Z is showing DRAM Voltage at 1.650v, and appears stable running 4.2Ghz, so since VCore - for the moment - is staying at 1.328, I'll leave DRAM at 1.65v.

The 3960x I have seems to be less power hungry than most - I'm certainly not complaining about that (!) - a fact that others have commented on in the past. I have not had any adverse reaction from the BOINC applications I Crunch, and if the change to 4.2Ghz needed further VCore and DRAM voltage on mine, it would - Very - quickly show in the running of the CPU Work Units, it hasn't yet over the last 24hrs.

So my thoughts are to leave the voltage(s) as is for the current 4.2Ghz setting. All that seem logical, or am I missing something ?

Comment

GPU-Z shot of current setup:

Comment

Sounds like a plan, monitor temps for a few days to check that for stability and keep us updated

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm having a problem with idle CPU temperatures after setting XMP in Bios. My temps go from ~40C to 55-60C after setting XMP to profile 1. That's the only change I make in bios. XMP correctly sets the ram to 1866mhz, and the CPU VCSSA is set to 1.200. Would the either of those/anything cause my temps to raise 20C?

Sabertooth X79
          i7-3930k
          F3-14900CL10Q-32GBZL
          Hyper 212 Evo cooler

Thanks

Comment

Try manually lowering the VCCSA to 1.15

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks, I tried, it didn't help. I'm guessing XMP is overclocking my cpu as well?

I took pics of CPU-Z, the majority of them with XMP off, I circled the CPU tab in red that has XMP on.

http://imageshack.com/a/img198/15/vlmm.png (Too big to embed in post)

The core speed is much higher, in the ss the XMP off core speed is 1200mhz, but actually it jumps between 1200 and 3500 mhz. Which is why idle temps are unreliable? I'm not sure if the core speed jumps the same with XMP on or not.

I do want to overclock this machine at some point anyway so the temps will go up, but the only previous time I OC something was 10+ years ago (I've had laptops since then) and it was quite unstable as I remember it. I started reading your X79 MB OC guide, and it sounded like I should leave OCing ram until I get the machine stable first anyway so maybe I'll just do that.

Thanks
              Last edited by EvanVanVan; 07-13-2013, 04:36 AM.

Comment

That would be a good idea

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X