Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot get XMP to work using DDR4 PC4-24000 (F4-3000C15Q-32GRK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get XMP to work using DDR4 PC4-24000 (F4-3000C15Q-32GRK)

This is about Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4-24000). It's rated at 3000 but I could never pass 2666. I am running the following system.

I7-5960x @ 4.3HGhz (1.28v)
    F4-3000C15Q-32GRK (@2666 v1.35)
    Asus rampage v extreme
    water cooling both CPU/GPU (no issue with heat)
    Win 7 Ultimate x64

I was able to boot once with XMP @3000 with default CPU setting @3.0/3.5ghz but the system wouldn't stay running. It was very unstable.

Is this bad ram which I need to return?

While I cannot get the XMP frequency to work at rated @3000 I was able to lower the latency to 13-13-13-30 and voltage to 1.30 volt @ 2666.

This is very expensive ram which I want it to work. Is this bad ram or was it just over- stated of its frequency?
    Last edited by dhc0329; 09-21-2014, 07:21 PM.

If DDR4-2666 was completely stable, try a slightly higher DRAM Voltage 2 DDR4-3000 to see if that works better. The set voltage and supplied voltage may slightly vary so that can be a potential issue. Also, make sure the VCCSA Voltage is set, the correct amount is necessary to reach the high frequency. DDR4-3000 is usually around 1.25V-1.30V

Keep us posted on the result.

Comment

Here’s my test result of each stick.

XMP enabled (3000 MHZ 15-15-15-35)
      Bclk 125
      Multiplier 28
      CPU i7-5960x @ 3.0/3.5Ghz
      Vcore Auto
      DRAM voltage 1.35v

Stick 1: freeze at “starting windows”screen
      Stick 2: able to see windows login screen but froze after log in
      Stick 3: able to boot to windows @ default 3.0/3.5Ghz but cannot boot @3.625ghz with 1.33 vcore
      Stick 4: able to boot to windows @ default 3.0/3.5Ghz but froze at windows login @3.625ghz with 1.33 vcore

I am back to 2666mhz (13-13-13-30) with 4 sticks.
      CPU i7-5960x @ 4.3Ghz (1.28v)
      DRAM voltage (1.30 v)

Comment

I also tried CPU (1.35v @3.625) BClk125 x 29 and DRAM (1.4v @ 3000 MHZ). Boot to windows once with all four sticks but froze shortly after. What do you mean VCCSA. There was no such thing in Bios, are you referring to VCCIO CPU /PH, I al so raised that a bit.

Anything above default 3.5Ghz will fail with this RAM.

Comment

CPU System Agent Voltage

This should be around 1.25V

Can you post pictures of CPU and memory settings?

Thank you

Comment

Manual mode with vccsa 1.20 finally worked @ 4.25Ghz and Ram @ 3000 but I have 2 issues now.

1. is vccsa 1.20 too high? (I am reading on other forum this must be below 1.15?)
            2. how to convert back to adaptive mode and configure the vccsa offset value? I tried 0.15 ~ 0.3 as offset but failed.
            Last edited by dhc0329; 09-23-2014, 07:39 PM.

Comment

1. No, that is normal. It is recommended to be below, but that is only possible with low speed like DDR4-2133/2400

2. For adaptive mode, voltage does not scale once turbo ratio is surpassed, so make sure to configure voltages properly.

Comment

After two days of trying just about everything on rampage v extreme I can safely conclude that this RAM doesn't run under adaptive mode, but only on manual mode with VCCSA voltage adjusted up to 1.25v.

This may be a good ram but definitely not practical for RVE + i7-5960x user as you need to have your CPU run at full speed all the time even at its idle to use this ram at rated speed.

Comment

It's the same for any build, extreme performance will require any power saving features to be disabled. Many people think it's a problem with hardware when they can't overclock high, but actually it's because they don't know how, and they don't know all the features need to be disabled to reach another level of OC. You can't overclock with energy efficiency or economy mode in mind. Max performance means max power. I'm sure you did not purchase a 400W power supply in hopes to save a couple dollars on electricity each month with this build..
                  It's a 140W CPU, if you built the system for internet browsing, it's not practical.. If it's for professional work, it's very practical.
                  Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 09-25-2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I can agree with your view point in some degree but not entirely. As you may aware DDR4 is introduced at transfer rates of 2133 MT/s but estimated to rise to a potential 4266 MT/s. For now 3000 MT/s may be considered as a high speed but it is way below its full potential. If DDR4 goes to its full potential, your statement may not hold. It is only matter of time DRAM vendors start introducing 4000 MT/s ram but I don't think these MBs will magically work at any condition then.

Comment

You're right, because at that time of DDR4-4000, it will be many years later and several DDR4 platforms down the road. Right now, we're talking about Haswell-E and X99.

For DDR3, first generation was P45/55, latest generation is Z87/97, the performance capability is much different.

In any case, my view point will stand. To this day, Intel supports DDR3-1333/1600 even for high end i7-4790K CPU. This will be the same for DDR4, DDR4-2133/2400. Anything higher is enthusiast level, so you can not expect power saving features that are designed for DDR4-2133/2400 to work properly at DDR4-3000+
                      Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 09-26-2014, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Sorry to bump someone else's thread, but I am also having the same problem.

F4-3000C15Q-32GRK RAM kit
                        i7-5960X
                        MSI X99S XPOWER AC motherboard.

My symptoms are somewhat random. They could be any of the following:

Not all RAM is detected. Only 28GB detected one time, another time only 20GB detected. Always detects 32GB in 2133MHz mode.
                        Computer powers on, then powers off after 8 seconds. Requires CMOS reset.
                        Computer powers on, and loads fully, or partially into BIOS settings screen, freezes, and powers off.
                        Computer powers on, but hangs at some point during Windows loading screen before desktop comes up.
                        Loads fully into desktop, but BSODs quickly into a "page fault in nonpaged area".

Weird thing is when I first built it not even 24 hours ago, it booted up right away, no problems, with the DDR4-3000 XMP profile. I have no idea why it's failing now. There were no dangerous voltages applied to my knowledge since everything was left on auto. I later tried manual VCCSA once the problems started happening (Started tweaking timings. I got as far as setting the command rate from 2T to 1T successfully then started increasing the TREFI timing up to 23400T, or 7.8μs, up from the default of 8320T or 2.773μs since I got excellent results bandwidth and performance increases from my DDR3 platform increasing the TREFI timing to 15.6μs so figured it would also apply to DDR4. Started having problems when I started doing that and I've been unable to get it stable since.)

Here is my BIOS settings. If I use default memory settings instead of XMP, it works flawlessly (same 3.5ghz core and ring, bclk switches between 125.03 and 100 or xmp/non-xmp. all voltages remain on auto except vccsa which is set to 1.25). How do I get this stable at rated speeds? Is my ram broken?

Last edited by ssateneth; 09-28-2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Not sure how MSI board works but under Asus RVE board, the ram would only works at rated speed only if I set the OC mode to manual (i.e., fixed CPU frequency @ 4.375ghz) with VCCSA voltage : 1.20v.

Under the manual mode my CPU will run @ 4.375ghz all the time even at its idle. Make sure you are not at adaptive or offset mode. It seems to require constant supply of necessary voltages to keep the stability @ 3000. It would not tolerate fluctuation of voltage having any type of power saving mode.

Mine can run stable at cpu @ 4.375 Ghz (voltage 1.28v blck 125 multiplier 35) DRAM @ 3000 15-15-15-35 (voltage 1.35v and VCCSA 1.20v). All done at manual settings.

Comment

I just threw a plethora of manual voltages above stock at it (much like throwing a handful of darts at a dartboard, hoping one would stick) and I've booted into DDR4-2750. VCCIN, core, ring, SA, VCCIO, PCH 1.05 and 1.5, and both RAM channels. After some linpack runs, priming, and aida bandwidth benchmarks, I'll try the DDR4-3000 and fingers crossed. After that, if it does run, I'll narrow down what exact voltages requires 3000. I couldnt get it running at 2666 before, so was likely some voltage not behaving.

I am not using XMP at this point. Also, voltage and frequencies are fixed at this point as far as I'm aware (all power saving disabled, but i'd like to re-enable them if at all possible since I hate being in a hot room)

edit: DDR4-3000 did not work. It just made it so it froze the BIOS or froze immediately upon trying to load OS. I had a hell of a time trying to get back to 2750. The BIOS is probably immature, not clearing or setting settings when it should. I cant directly set to the working settings. I have to do weird things like reset cmos -> apply voltages and disable power saving and set CPU/Ring frequency -> reboot -> disable hyperthreading -> reboot -> change bclk strap from 100 to 125 and adjust multipliers so CPU + ring is the same -> reboot -> finally apply memory timings -> reboot.

Either my RAM has been broken in by being operational 24 hours and now it no longer is stable at ddr4-3000, or my BIOS has remnant settings in it that makes it run at the wrong settings and needs a BIOS update. I am not a happy camper. I've been faithful to MSI for many years, and this is the first doodie product I've received from them. But all manufacturers have faulty products from time to time so it's no reason to jump ship yet.

GSKILL TECH, if you have any words of wisdom for my problem, I would appreciate them.
                            Last edited by ssateneth; 09-28-2014, 08:34 PM.

Comment

For missing capacity, check fitment of CPU cooler. Too tight or too loose can cause missing capacity. Also, incorrect DRAM Voltage / VCCSA Voltage can also cause this.

Do you have the latest BIOS? Continue checking because companies are releasing and tweaking fairly often to solve bugs. The technology is very immature due to the timing of things. Sounds and looks like you have most things configured correctly. Can you post a picture of Advance DRAM Configuration?

You can test one module at time to make sure each can pass DDR4-3000. This can help determine whether the issue is with the motherboard or RAM.

Keep us posted.
                              Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 09-29-2014, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X