KM780 - Lighting causing noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KM780 - Lighting causing noise

Anyone else having the problem that a high pitched noise is coming from the right side of the keyboard when the lighting is turned on?
    I just noticed it yesterday and now I hear it all the time unless there's some background noise.

i get it with the KM780 RGB when using the audio bypass built-in to the keyboard.
    if speakers or headphones are plugged in it causes a very annoying whine when the RGB reaches certain colors.

is something like this or a more constant noise?
    MSI Z97 KRAIT | i7-4790K 4.6GHz \ Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme | G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2400 2x4GB | PCS+ 8GB R9 290X | SSDs: 720GB | HDs: 11TB | beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750w | Anidees AI Crystal | Logitech G600 \ Corsair M95 | G.Skill KM780 RGB (Red) | Corsair Gaming VOID 7.1 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Lenovo IdeaPad G780

Comment

Constant noise. Color, brightness or connected devices don't matter, it's always there unless the lighting is turned off.

I also just found a German review which mentions this problem ("Beleuchtung fiept"):
      http://www.computerbase.de/2015-10/g...80-rgb-test/4/

Comment

Coil Whine

I can confirm the noise. My KM780 RGB (MX Brown switches) also made this noise. It was located around the number pad / print key on the right side. Sounds like a coil used to control the LEDs. The tone changes a little bit if you switch all lights to Red color but the noise is always there. I have returned my keyboard to Amazon as this seems to me like a design or production issue.

Comment

I hear noise too. Had Gskill replace it. The replacement still has noise. My Logitech G710 nor my Corsair K70s make noise like this Gskill does.

Comment

Hi guys,

We understand that some users may hear a humming sound from our KM780 RGB keyboard. We are trying ways to minimize or reduce the noise, but results may vary depending on your operating environment and your hearing abilities.

We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Comment

I don't notice a noise from the keyboard itself (and my hearing range is wider than most adults) so I wonder if it might be hardware rev specific. I do get a lot of noise when using wireless headphones powered by usb unless I turn the lights off. I might try again from a different power source. Powering the keyboard via USB makes this issue pretty hard to get around. All that rapid switching is going to make noise on anything powered by usb, as generally none of it is isolated in a computer. In fact, the front audio jack typically shares the same ground as USB which makes it relatively useless. Plug headphones into the back. I'd also plug the keyboard audio cable into the back.

edit -

I checked my keyboard out when I got home. Noticeable whine from the upper-right corner with my ear a few inches away but almost inaudible at normal distance.
              Last edited by jepeit77; 05-19-2016, 03:02 PM. Reason: noted in post

Comment

I didn't realize these were available:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703JTTR...1798025&awdv=c

Expensive, especially for two of them for this keyboard, but it would probably keep the noise off USB and connected devices. I don't know how much it would help sound generated by the keyboard itself.

Comment

Mine is totally silent.

Comment

definitely not a consistent problem, i have zero noise coming form the keyboard itself. any with this issue should submit an RMA or refund with retailer or G.Skill.

my KM780's audio passthrough is totally useless with the noise being produced through it as the colors cycle. that along with the lack of RGB function is a joke.

have a Corsair Gaming K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE on the way to replace this thing.
                    MSI Z97 KRAIT | i7-4790K 4.6GHz \ Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme | G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2400 2x4GB | PCS+ 8GB R9 290X | SSDs: 720GB | HDs: 11TB | beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750w | Anidees AI Crystal | Logitech G600 \ Corsair M95 | G.Skill KM780 RGB (Red) | Corsair Gaming VOID 7.1 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Lenovo IdeaPad G780

Comment

Hi Gobonzo,

Might want to hold on the RGB thing for a few more days. Our resources have been diverted to preparing for Computex, but a new software version is being prepped with the functions you're looking for. Check back in about 36-48 hours for a new available update.

Comment

I'm having this issue too when the leds are on (not when disabled). There is still on the to-do list to try to reduce it?

I don't care about the noise coming from the keyboard, the problem is that noise are heard too on audio pass through.
                        Last edited by Rafa; 10-30-2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X