Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident Z RGB AM4 Compatibility

Greetings,

I guess everyone already knows that AM4 Ryzen has memory compatibility issues at the moment. I'm sure board makers are working very hard to fix the issue.

Due to that issues, I am very concern and worry about the memory compatibility issues.
    Soon I'll build my first desktop PC with 1700X and Asrock X370 Taichi.

My RAM choice goes to Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (2x8GB)
    Here's the motherboard QVL
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Taichi/#Memory

Trident Z RGB 3200 is indeed listed in QVL, but with F4-3200C16-8GTZR serial number.

1. Are those RAM identical each other? I couldn't find that serial number in QVL anywhere in google or G.Skill website.
    2. Will those RAM work fine with Ryzen, especially this particular board? I am so afraid of the possibility that it won't give me a POST at all.
    3. Higher memory speed seems to have issues with Ryzen. If I just leave the RAM running at stock speed (2133 or 2400), will it work just fine? (I'll ignore XMP profile).
    4. Do I need to tweak the RAM at first boot? Or the motherboard will automatically downclock the RAM to its default speed?

I do understand this issues will be fixed in the near future, so I'm fine with 2400 or 2133 for now.
    I'm a newbie in OC and RAM tweaking. Your technical support and expertise is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Regards

At the moment, we can only recommend Flare X and FORTIS series for the AMD Ryzen platform. Other series have been tested on the Intel platforms, and we're still working with AMD on memory compatibility.

1. We're not sure which kit ASRock had for testing, but that particular way of writing the model number is the info from the SPD, where it would list the model for that specific module without the "D" or "Q" designation for the kit module-quantity. Based on their website, we're guessing it to be the 8GBx2 kit, but we can't confirm that. You might want to ask ASRock directly.
    2. Unfortunately, we can only say that only Flare X and FORTIS will work on Ryzen platforms at the moment. Other memory kit series aren't guaranteed right now.
    3 & 4. If you use high speed memory (like 2800+MHz) on a Ryzen system, and there's issues, you can always drop it down to 2133MHz and there shouldn't be any problems. Typically, on first boot when the BIOS isn't set for any particular memory settings, the motherboard BIOS will automatically use the default SPD speed, which is usually programmed at DDR4-2133MHz. So as long as you Clear CMOS and not use XMP, then it would boot using the 2133MHz speed.

We hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Comment

We just asked engineering, and if you're looking to use Trident Z RGB on the AMD X370 chipset motherboards and Ryzen 7 series CPU, then you can consider one of the following:

F4-2400C15D-16GTZR
      F4-2400C15Q-32GTZR
      F4-3200C14D-16GTZR

Please note that 3200MHz CL14 is only compatible with the 8GBx2 capacity configuration, and 8GBx4 is not recommended.

Thank you!

Comment

Hmm...picked up the 3200C16's. Are the 14D's the B dies everyone talks about?

Comment

"I can neither confirm nor deny details of any operation without the Secretary's approval."

Just kidding. We really don't know, since we don't have access to those details here. And since we use various different chips in production, it'd be hard to say.

If you're using those 3200Mhz CL16s on an AMD Ryzen platform, you might have trouble getting compatibility until it's improved on the AMD side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by G.SKILL View Post
            "I can neither confirm nor deny details of any operation without the Secretary's approval."

Just kidding. We really don't know, since we don't have access to those details here. And since we use various different chips in production, it'd be hard to say.

If you're using those 3200Mhz CL16s on an AMD Ryzen platform, you might have trouble getting compatibility until it's improved on the AMD side of things.

I've been following a thread on Overclock.net I recieved a Email saying Rest assured that the modules aren't damaged, from running them in Ryzen Systems.

But people have had modules Destroyed now and no longer function beyond the LED's ceasing to function.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1625238/h...emory-problems

These are all people running on the Gigabyte motherboard, attempting to Enable XMP. This also Effected EVGA 3200mhz memory. (youtube comments section of video in thread)

Comment

For what it is worth I put the 3000mhz RGB 14-14-14-14-34 memory in an Asus Crosshair VI motherboard with overclock to 3200mhz with SOC at 1.05volts and dram voltage at 1.375volts. Using the latest 0905 bios and it is rock solid. I used timings of 15-15.15.15-37.

Comment

I know that the F4-3200C16D-16GTZR kit doesn't seem to play nice with the AM4 platform, specifically on my MSI x370 titanium board. This kit contains the SK Hynix ram chips, which from what I have heard, is known to have issues with the Ryzen platform.

Comment

Stuck at 2133 so far

I have a B350GT5 biostar board with 2 single rank 8 gig sticks of F4-3200C16-8GTZKY Trident z
                  , so far I have not been able to budge them from 2133 without a three beep post code, anyone have any feedback? It`s a 1700 processor

Comment

Biostar B350GT5 does not support 3200MHz CL16 speed memory kits yet. We would recommend specs that are the same as the ones offered in FORTIS or Flare X series.

Comment

I have this kit running at 3200 14-14-14-14-34-1T 1.352v, GSkill F4-3200C14-16GTZR.

Bios 1002 Settings:
                      Asus C6H Ryzen 1700
                      Blck 100.
                      Multiplier 38
                      D.O.C.P. - Standard
                      Vcore Manual Offset + 0.1625
                      VDDSOC Manual Offset + 0.1625
                      DRAM 1.365
                      Everything else on Auto

Comment

I have the F4-3200C14D-16GTZR kit and cannot run at 3200MHz on my Ryzen 1700.

I have the G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 kit with part number F4-3200C14D-16GTZR. These are running on my ASUS C6H board with a Ryzen 1700. Memory modules have the serial number where digit five starts A500 so supposedly they are Samsung B-Die.

So far I have been unable to get 3200MHz stable with any timings, voltages, 1T/2T, and every beta UEFI released to date (including 1001, 1002, 0079, 0081, 0082, 0083).

I have reset UEFI to defaults, no other overclocking, and tried to set memory both via DOCP and manual. Also tried setting DRAM voltage & boot voltage to 1.45v, SoC to 1.2v, loosened memory timings to 18-18-18-38, tried ProcODT up to 80, etc. I have tried one change at a time and then multiple changes together. Nothing works for 3200MHz -- the system just attempts training, fails with code 0d, reboots, and resets to 2133MHz.

Running the kit at 2933MHz with its rated timings of 14-14-14-34 and 1.35v works great -- no issues at all.

Comment

Hi Tyrluk,

You can try an RMA replacement kit, but if the same occurs with the second kit, then you'd probably have to explore possible RMA with either motherboard or processor.

So far, our test setups passes with the latest BIOS. We usually recommend all default + manual DRAM Frequency/Voltage/CL timing (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and command rate to 2 if it's available.

Maybe you can also try out one module at a time with just the rate settings in manual, and see if each of the modules can get to 3200MHz CL14.

Comment

Originally posted by G.SKILL View Post
                            Hi Tyrluk,

You can try an RMA replacement kit, but if the same occurs with the second kit, then you'd probably have to explore possible RMA with either motherboard or processor.

So far, our test setups passes with the latest BIOS. We usually recommend all default + manual DRAM Frequency/Voltage/CL timing (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and command rate to 2 if it's available.

Maybe you can also try out one module at a time with just the rate settings in manual, and see if each of the modules can get to 3200MHz CL14.
                            I have already tried running one module at a time but that made no difference. Already emailed G.Skill tech support and that was the first thing they suggested.

Over on the 850+ page overclock.net thread there are quite a few people who are having the same issue with getting this same memory working at 3200MHz.

I did get a response from G.Skill which may lead to something here with the 1700 just being unable to do 3200MHz memory reliably. See the question and response from my email with G.Skill below --

Tyrluk: Are you aware of any issue with the Ryzen CPU integrated memory controller where they would *not* be able to run the memory at 3200MHz?
                            G.Skill: Yes, generally the 1800X or 1700X is required for DDR4-3200.

But then when I talk to AMD and ASUS support they both say that the Ryzen 1700 integrated memory controller can easily handle well up to DDR4-3600.

Would be great to know what the root cause of this memory issue is -- for both G.Skill support and their customers.

Comment

We'll double check with the engineers on this. Seems like something might have changed recently on the motherboard or CPU side that may cause this issue.

So you're using the 1700, not the 1700X?

Comment

Working...
                              X