Has anyone had this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had this problem?

First off here is a link to my current setup...
    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/pLsZxr

I have one stick that just won't cooperate with either Asus aura or gskill led softwares. It is stuck in the default rainbow animation. It is seated in the far left dimm slot closest to the processor. I have run memtest and it returned with no errors. I have also purchased Thaiphoon burner and read each stick which returned "crc ok" for all 4. I even used Thaiphoon burner to write the spd to each stick. I don't have cpu-z or cam installed currently as I know they conflict with Asus aura or Gskill's led software. All the other 3 modules work perfectly. Currently I just have the latest Asus Aura software installed. What else can I try at this point? I assume RMA is not an option as I have read thru the forums and Gskill doesn't want to own up to their mistake. Kinda sad if you ask me...

Hey, i had this problem and tried everything, but RMAd them finally because i could not get that one to work. I would recommend to RMA via your retailer not GSkill.

Comment

Have you tried stopping then restarting the lighting service in task manager? If not just open task manager go to the services tab, find lightingservice and stop it and then restart it. I have to do that once in a while when one of my sticks stop working.

Comment

Yes I have. Even while it is restarting the one stick remains on thru and after the restart.

Comment

Below is an email I received from Gskill support a few days after I sent them this...

Dear Gskill,

Like many of your valued customers, I have entered into the realm of "RGB" I invested over $400 into the Tridentz RGB series of ram. 4 x 8GB 3200mhz c14 to be exact. Also like many of your valued customers, I have ran into the infamous lighting issues. No one person seems to have a permanent fix to this problem yet and 7 months have gone by. I have read thru the forums over and over and even purchased Thaiphoon Burner to check for corrupted spd. I have followed the instructions you have given thoroughly thru and thru and I still have the same lighting issue. It seems at this point, all my efforts were in vain. Also reading thru the forums seem to suggest that requesting and RMA for lighting issues results in the customers not getting their refund. If this is the case, why not address the problem publicly and give frequent updates of any progress being made to remedy the problems people are having. The last patch was back in May. When can we expect another? Is anything else in the works to at least fix the issue temporarily? Please feel free to reply. Any positive feedback would be a godsend. Thanks!

My current ram issue:
          So as of now the only lighting issue I have is that one stick is stuck in the default rgb setting and the Asus Aura software doesn't even detect that DRAM slot in its program. I don't have any other programs installed or running services in the background that could conflict with the smbus. I have ran memtest and thaiphoon burner and neither came back with any errors. Any more suggestions that you could give would be awesome. Thanks

-Insuruto-

Here is their reply:

Hi Insuruto

We don't offer refunds as we do not sell RAM. Users must contact the original place of purchase to set up any refund. Through G.Skill, we will cover manufacturer defects, so if a module is defective we can replace it with a new one.

With regards to the software, we are working on a solution. It can be difficult as there are many factors that can alter compatibility. Not all motherboards are produced the same, so that is a problem as well. Due to the fact there is no stand alone controller for the lighting, the RAM heavily depends on motherboards compatibility for RGB control.

Any updates will be available on the Official G.Skill Download page.

https://www.gskill.com/en/download

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

So what do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by insuruto View Post
            Below is an email I received from Gskill support a few days after I sent them this...

Dear Gskill,

Like many of your valued customers, I have entered into the realm of "RGB" I invested over $400 into the Tridentz RGB series of ram. 4 x 8GB 3200mhz c14 to be exact. Also like many of your valued customers, I have ran into the infamous lighting issues. No one person seems to have a permanent fix to this problem yet and 7 months have gone by. I have read thru the forums over and over and even purchased Thaiphoon Burner to check for corrupted spd. I have followed the instructions you have given thoroughly thru and thru and I still have the same lighting issue. It seems at this point, all my efforts were in vain. Also reading thru the forums seem to suggest that requesting and RMA for lighting issues results in the customers not getting their refund. If this is the case, why not address the problem publicly and give frequent updates of any progress being made to remedy the problems people are having. The last patch was back in May. When can we expect another? Is anything else in the works to at least fix the issue temporarily? Please feel free to reply. Any positive feedback would be a godsend. Thanks!

My current ram issue:
            So as of now the only lighting issue I have is that one stick is stuck in the default rgb setting and the Asus Aura software doesn't even detect that DRAM slot in its program. I don't have any other programs installed or running services in the background that could conflict with the smbus. I have ran memtest and thaiphoon burner and neither came back with any errors. Any more suggestions that you could give would be awesome. Thanks

-Insuruto-

Here is their reply:

Hi Insuruto

We don't offer refunds as we do not sell RAM. Users must contact the original place of purchase to set up any refund. Through G.Skill, we will cover manufacturer defects, so if a module is defective we can replace it with a new one.

With regards to the software, we are working on a solution. It can be difficult as there are many factors that can alter compatibility. Not all motherboards are produced the same, so that is a problem as well. Due to the fact there is no stand alone controller for the lighting, the RAM heavily depends on motherboards compatibility for RGB control.

Any updates will be available on the Official G.Skill Download page.

https://www.gskill.com/en/download

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

So what do you guys think?
            Return the ram if you can from where you bought it from. Problem solved.

Comment

Unfortunately I am no longer eligible for a refund. I purchased the ram thru newegg back in late March. Waiting for the promised patch that would fix the led issues have proven cumbersome.

Comment

Update!!!

So I contacted newegg knowing my standard return policy has expired 6x over. They told me that the manufacturer has a lifetime warranty and I should be able to replace thru them. So I told them that Gskill told me that they don't return RAM as they don't actually sell it. I would have to do all returns thru the place of purchase. So the person I spoke with said they would send in a formal request of approval after I answered a 6 question survey regarding my returns issue. Hopefully it gets approved and I can replace the one faulty stick I have for a working one!!! Fingers crossed. There's a little light at the end of the tunnel. Better than none...

Comment

I am having a very similar issue. I have two sticks of the same RAM you do, one seems fine, the other is stuck in the default rainbow mode. I've been scouring the forums and I've tried all the tricks I could find that won't violate my warranty.

I tested both of my sticks in Thaiphoon burner. The one that seems fine has a lot of SPD data that looks correct, but returns "CRC: error"! The one stuck in rainbow mode has "undefined" for most of the SPD data and does not have a CRC report.

The "rainbow" one looks like it might be a good candidate for rewriting the SPD data via Thaiphoon, but I don't know if Thaiphoon can correct bad CRC and I don't want to ruin my warranty with something that might not work.

Comment

Back up both modules to rewrite to see if that can solve it. If not, feel free to send them in for RMA exchange.

Check to see if you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard. Also, which motherboard and which slots are you using?

Comment

Check to see if you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard. Also, which motherboard and which slots are you using?
                      I have a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5, I've got my RAM in slots 2 and 4, and I am using the latest bios (F5a).

I forgot to mention, I tried booting with one stick by itself. The responsive stick booted fine. The computer would not boot with the "stuck" stick. Clearly that stick is in a bad way.

Thanks for responding quickly. I will try backing up the sticks and rewriting them from a profile. Could that fix the CRC issue?

Comment

I backed up my spd's and then rewrote them even though all 4 read crc "ok" before rewriting. Gskill will rma them, they emailed me a blank rma forum. I just have to take the ram out so I can get to the serial number.

Comment

I used Thaiphoon Burner to rewrite the sticks, and now both of their LEDs are properly responsive and are CRC ok! HUGE SUCCESS! Thanks everybody!

Now my next struggle is to get my first and second set of sticks to run at 3200 together...

Comment

Working...
                          X