Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enable XMP (is it safe?) or set the timings manually

Hello,
    I have an MSI BigBang Xpower II X79 motherboard with a 3930K cpu & 1.2 BIOS.
    I've had the system for about 3 months and have changed my memory 3 times (now I'm on my fourth). All the times I had XMP enabled. The system would run fine for a couple of weeks and then blue sceen with Memory_Management error. I would run memtest and find one of the sticks is faulty (can not retain data). I've been running my old memory (G.Skill 1333 9-9-9-24 1.5v) 4GBx4 with no XMP (the motherboard reads all timings correctly) for almost a month & not single error. My new memory is the 4th replacement of G.Skill ARES1600 (9-9-9-24 1.5v) 4GBx8 and I want to install it but I'm worried about the above happening again.

Kindly advise on the best practice of installing the memory to get its correct timings & speed and then not worry about them for years (like my old GSkills ).

Thank you & apologies for the long email

Ehsan

P.S.: My old 1333's on CPU-Z showed CR 1T, and the 1600's showed CR 2T (XMP enabled) on the same platform if that helps. And everything is stock speed.

XMP should work w/ no problem and CR is normally 2T...a lot can depend on if the BIOS sets things up correctly - however if you've had problems with numerous sets there may be a problem with the mobo itself i.e. it might have a bad slot(s) or is fluctuating the voltage to the DRAM

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The 1333's worked perfectly with no change in the Bios.
      The 1600's are the ones giving me the problems and they all had the 'XMP enabled' in common. That was the only change I did in the Bios.
      I heard that some motherboards have very/too agrressive timings for the XMP profile.
      What do you recommend, enable XMP or set the timings and speed manually?
      Thank you for the quick response.
      Regards,

Comment

I normally set the timings manually, so here I'd go with the stock, 9-9-9-24, 1.5, 2T, 1.5 - and with your mobo might go 1.53, from the sounds of things, might have had a bit of a problem with voltage regulation to the DRAM so a tad extra might counter that - and it's perfectly safe

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X