Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5, not on any G.skill compatability list???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5, not on any G.skill compatability list???

Hello G.Skill forums.

These are my current system specs
    MB: Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
    CPU: AMD 1090T - Noctua NH-C14
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 2GB x 3 - Corsair generic 2GB (1333mhz 9-9-9-24 @ 1.52v)
    GPU1: Gigabyte HD-6970
    GPU2: HIS HD-6970
    SC: Asus Xonar D2X
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB (OS)
    HDD1: WD 1TB
    HDD2: WD 600GB
    PSU: SilverStone Strider 1000W

I'm having the occasional memory dump blu-screen every 3 days or so (the system runs 18hrs a day) and memtest is filling up with errors at an alarming rate whenever its run. I know that this is due to to the mish-mash of memory (3x2gb + 1x2gb).

I need this system to be 100% stable, but I also need between 8 and 16gb of memory to be 100% stable (dont ask), preferably at 1600mhz sticks but I wouldn't mind running them at 1333 if it helped stability (only if I cant get a stable OC).

I'm thinking about purchasing two of these G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL kits however, I've been told by PCCG that because they are not on the gigabyte QVL list, nor is the 890FXA-UD5 on the G.Skill support list, that if they arived DOA or If two of the sticks where incompatable with each other, or if it was as simple as that the sticks just would not work with my motherboard, that PCCG would not RMA them for me as my board is not on any of the QVL lists. UNLESS, I could take the sticks to someone with a board from the G.Skill QVL list and test it on that.
    My 890FXA-UD5 board is also not on G.Skills RAM Configurator list.
    My reasoning behind buying two of them would just be so that if I did have a problem with one of them, I'm less likely to have the same problem with the second kit (and if there isn't a problem with either then I could use both! hopefully)

Could a G.Skill forum Administrator please tell me if these sticks would work (QVL list's aside) and if your of the opinion that they would not work at all, could you please recommend a kit from this list.

As this would be my first G.Skill purchase, I'm hoping it will be a good one. I do system builds for people every month or so (for cash on the side) and I use corsair memory. But to me the price gap between brands is starting to become unjustifiable. So if G.Skill could help me with my question then maybe you might have a new regular customer.

PS: I'd prefer to have 4gb sticks rather than 2gb sticks.
    Last edited by alex8337; 05-22-2011, 08:29 PM.

Gskill will be in Monday, but I'd say that would be a good choice, going the 2x4GB is the best option as s sticks will put less load on the MC than 4 sticks would. Other Ripjaws and Ripjaws X sets should be fine also, but may want to be careful w/ higher performance sets i.e. 1600 at CL8 or CL7, or 1333 @ CL7, the MC in the 1090 is far better than earlier model but still on the weak side when trying to to run low CL at high speed

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

You have an 890 board, just like my Crosshair IV, which is a definite plus.
      Now, I've done a good bit of testing with memory the past month or so.
      I highly recommend going with 2x4GB modules to start with.
      This will put much less stress on the IMC versus populating all dimms.

I'm running 2x4GB RipjawsX PC3-14900 CL9@ 1887MHz on a 24/7 basis (see my sig).
      Running above 1600Mhz with lower latency modules can be a challenge.
      2x4GB RipjawsX PC3-12800 CL8 set is being used in my backup comp (with a 965).

I would opt for the RipjawsX over the standard Ripjaws, better over all compatibility & stability in AMD builds.
      AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
      Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
      ASUS Crosshair V Formula
      2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
      SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
      Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
      Corsair HX850W Modular
      Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
      2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
        Gskill will be in Monday
        Funny how Australia is 10 hours ahead, I'm just about to start cooking dinner (its almost 4pm Monday afternoon).

the 2x4GB is the best option as 2 sticks will put less load on the MC than 4 sticks would.
        Originally posted by NemesisChild View Post
        I highly recommend going with 2x4GB modules to start with.
        This will put much less stress on the IMC versus populating all dimms.
        This is the same problem I've had with allot of system builds, which is why I'm so happy to be seeing 4gb sticks as I'd prefer to use no more than 2 unless its 100% stable.

Other Ripjaws and Ripjaws X sets should be fine also, but may want to be careful w/ higher performance sets i.e. 1600 at CL8 or CL7, or 1333 @ CL7, the MC in the 1090 is far better than earlier model but still on the weak side when trying to to run low CL at high speed
        I'd probably start by running the kit at 1333 CL9, tighten the timings untill I see ONE single error after a few memtest runs. Save those settings to a bios profile.
        Then I'd start again at 1600.
        But that's way into the future, I wouldn't even be able to start thinking about that until I know these two sticks will work side by side.

Originally posted by NemesisChild View Post
        I would opt for the RipjawsX over the standard Ripjaws, better over all compatibility & stability in AMD builds.
        I'll wait until this can be confirmed by a G.Skill professional but I'm definitely interested in that series now that you've mentioned this.

Comment

Based on what has been said so far, this is probably the kit you want:

F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

or F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Both should work well for your system.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            Based on what has been said so far, this is probably the kit you want:

F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

or F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Both should work well for your system.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH
            Excellent! thank you for your reply GSkill Tech support its greatly appreciated. I don't mean to be rude by asking another question which wasn't asked previously. But would there be any difference between getting a 2 stick vs 4 stick set, would I be better off getting a 4 stick set? Just encase as a failsaife? so if all 4 dont work together theoretically I can just remove 2 from the 4 stick kit and use just 2? (testing the 4 sticks on my 890FXA-UD5 to see which 2 work together obviously). Yea?

So the G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3 is what you've recommended for my 890FXA-UD5.

G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL (4x4GB) DDR3 and this is what I'm looking at buying (just to have 4 sticks rather than 2, encase 2 of them don't work for some reason.

Last question! Just to put my mind at ease because I worry too much. Both of the kit's you've recommended say Designed For 2nd Generation Intel? Core™ Processors on the G.Skill website, should I disregard this and buy the kit anyway? So that and which one should I get, 4 or 2 stick set?

I'm also thinking that I can use this thread as a way to prove to PCCG that this ram is GSkill recommended, considering they told me that If my board or the ram is not on a QLV list, I cannot return it via RMA if it doesn't work because its unsupported by my board. This puts my mind at ease because I don't like sinking $200+ on a product I might be unable to easily return if faulty.

Once you've replied then I'm going to put an order in at PCCG and hopefully many more for other systems in the future too.
            Last edited by alex8337; 05-23-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

A four stick kit guarantees that they can work together in the same computer, whereas a two stick kit only guarantees two sticks to work together. If you only need 8GB installed at a time, then two 8GB kits is fine. It is like having a back up set, and you save a couple dollars over the 16GB kit.

The memory is designed for Intel, but it will work just fine for your motherboard.

Actually, I just checked, 8GB and 16GB is same price, so just get the 4 stick kit.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

The 4 stick kit it is! Thanks for helping and reassuring me about the purchase. I'll post back as to weither it was a successful install or not when I get the kit next week.

Cheers from Alex in Australia.

EDIT: Order placed Tuesday night 24/5/11, it should be here by Thur/Fri
                Last edited by alex8337; 05-24-2011, 03:08 AM.

Comment

We'll be looking for you

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

All four sticks seem to work perfectly at the moment but I'll still be skeptical until its survived the next few months of my gaming habits.

The memtest picture below was my first memtest run @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-28 T2

Currently passing repetitive memtest testing at stock settings 9-9-9-24 T2 1600mhz

All in all I'm pretty damn happy with this purchase but only time will tell. This thread is bookmarked on my spare pc so if anything happens you'll be the first to hear about it.

Thank you G.Skill Also, I have to mention that I'm very pleased with the quality of your product too. It looks like Corsair have been bumped down a notch on my ram ranking ladder :P

I do have one final question tho, why wasn't the 890 chipset listed on this memory's support list?

Last edited by alex8337; 05-27-2011, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Mobos/chipsets are added as they are available and have been tested - this year has been rather hectic with the new mobos out, new lines of DRAM and in particular the P67 Cougar debacle, playing catchup can take a bit

Tman

Comment

Also, not all AMD CPUs can support the memory, so it's difficult to list that.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                        X