X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misconceptions from CPU-Z

Items and misconceptions about DRAM and CPU-Z:

There are two tabs in CPU-Z that primarily relate to DRAM, the Memory tab and the SPD tab, the Memory tab identifies the "Type" i.e. DDR3, "Channels #" i.e. the number of memory channels run " 1-Single, 2-Dual, 3-Tri, 4-Quad, and "Size" i.e. total amount of DRAM, say 16384 for 16GB. Next it goes to a window it refers to as "Timings" and starts with probably the most misinterpreted item, that being "DRAM Frequency", many people see what's shown in the box and get all upset, i.e. they may have 1600 DRAM and it shows 800, or they have 1866 and it shows 933 or 933.6 (yes odd ball fractions often show up) The reason for this is that it shows the DRAMs true frequency, but since it is DDR (DOUBLE Data Rate) that freq is has to be multiplied times two to find what the sticks are truly running at or with the above examples 800 x 2 = 1600, 933 x 2 = 1866.

The other most common misconception comes in the SPD Tab of CPU-Z. In addition to other info provided, CPU-Z has a window they call "Max Bandwidth" which is one of the biggest misconceptions/myths/whatever there is on DRAM. Many people swear up and down that the software identifies the actual chips as being of a certain speed (most common 1066, 1333 and 1600) and identifies the sticks by the actual chips, and go on to say that if they are sold as 2133 they are really only 1333 or 1600 and have been OCed. NOT TRUE!, what shows up in the Max Bandwidth, comes from the SPD on the sticks and is the default boot designation for the sticks, that is the section of the SPD the BIOS looks at and tries to correspond to upon initial boot up or after a BIOS/CMOS rest. It has nothing to do with the actual chips used. If not for this area of the SPD, higher freq sticks wouldn?t be able to boot up by themselves, i.e. no mobo has a default of 1866, 2133, 2200, 2400, 2600, so if not for these default SPD settings you couldn?t ever get into the BIOS.

If this isn't clear to anyone, give a shout and I will try and explain it better.
    Last edited by Tradesman; 02-11-2014, 05:46 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Thanks Tman, good to know about the Max Bandwidth number.
    I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Comment

Nice explanation, this is a major misconception that even many IT professionals are unaware of.

Comment

Very good explanation. Well done.
        i7-5930K - Asus X99 Deluxe- 16GB G Skill DDR4-2800 - EVGA GTX 980 Classified -Corsair AX 1200i -4 X Samsung 500GB SSD - XSPC RX360 - Alphacool UT60 360mm - D5 Pump - Phanteks Enthoo Primo Case

Comment

Nice post...I found those all out the hard way a long time ago
          AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
          Noctua NH-U9B SE2
          Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
          G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
          Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
          XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
          Corsair HX850
          Antec 900
          Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Just one of my many pet peeves, though it amazes me you go to some of the other forums and there are still tons of supposed 'Pros' that still think that is the actual freq of the ICs and that the manufacturers are pushing/OCing them.....that would be outstanding if one could take a stock IC rated 1333 and run it at 2800 w/ just an extra 0.15 or so voltage wise....oh well, we will keep trying to educate people

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

About cpu-z

i have 2x8 gb 1866 MHz pc3-14900 and i saw ur explication but what about MAX BANDWITH information in SPD tab menú cpu-z it says pc3-10700 ( 667mhz) =/ . . . . however in the bios settings menú it seems to be all okay with correct frequency 1866mhz but . . . i cant find yet where to configure in the Bios settings the spec of PC3-14900 ( have maximus vi formula ) sorry for my spanglish im from Peru :v answer me plss x)

Comment

what about MAX WANDWITH information?? it says pc3-10700 667 MHz =S however in bios settings it seems to be all okay at correct frequency 1866 MHz and how can i configure correctly in bios my pc3-14900 ( i have 2x8 gb ripjawx 1866 MHz , maximus vi formula )
                pd: how can i add images from my snapshoot?? it request for an url =S

Comment

Originally posted by ElChicoMasLindo View Post
                  what about MAX WANDWITH information?? it says pc3-10700 667 MHz =S however in bios settings it seems to be all okay at correct frequency 1866 MHz and how can i configure correctly in bios my pc3-14900 ( i have 2x8 gb ripjawx 1866 MHz , maximus vi formula )
                  Max Bandwidth from Tradesman's description
                  what shows up in the Max Bandwidth, comes from the SPD on the sticks and is the default boot designation for the sticks, that is the section of the SPD the BIOS looks at and tries to correspond to upon initial boot up or after a BIOS/CMOS rest. It has nothing to do with the actual chips used.
                  Basically all that is, is telling the computer what to boot with before you have had a chance to set the correct timings and frequency in BIOS. To set your timings,in advanced mode, in Extreme Tweaker set AI Overclock Tuner to XMP and it should set everything for you, or you can set it to manual and set everything yourself. Under Dram timing control, set the timings that are on the sticks of ram, in memory frequency set them to what yours state. You said 1866, set them at that and under dram voltage set the voltage which is also on the ram sticks as well as the package they came in.

If you want a picture of the bios screen, put a USB flash drive in the computer, boot into BIOS and on any page, press F12 and it will put a picture of what you are looking at on the USB flash drive.

To put an image in a post here, use a photo hosting web site like Photobucket or image shack and put the picture there, then get the URL and place it here.

I'm pretty sure those things work the same on the Maximus VI as they do on the Maximus V.
                  Last edited by essenbe; 02-10-2014, 06:39 PM.
                  i7-5930K - Asus X99 Deluxe- 16GB G Skill DDR4-2800 - EVGA GTX 980 Classified -Corsair AX 1200i -4 X Samsung 500GB SSD - XSPC RX360 - Alphacool UT60 360mm - D5 Pump - Phanteks Enthoo Primo Case

Comment

Originally posted by ElChicoMasLindo View Post
                    Ignore the MAX BANDWIDTH information, it only shows the DEFAULT boot configuration of your RAM.

If your BIOS is reading 1866 go to the "memory" tab and under "timings" it will show 933Mhz.

I am not familiar with your particular motherboard + BIOS but you should be able to use the XMP setting for your RAM to achieve 1866 as per manufacturer spec. Otherwise you will have to manually overclock the RAM using the "tested latency" or timings (find the right set here).

You may have to refer to your motherboard manual as well to find the right place to adjust your RAM timings.
                    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
                    Noctua NH-U9B SE2
                    Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
                    G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
                    Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
                    XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
                    Corsair HX850
                    Antec 900
                    Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Well. Damn. Guess I don't even know a quarter of what I should know still. Does the misconception happen based on what the cpu/motherboard is capable of then?

Comment

No, only the RAM. Older modules prior to ~2012 had a standard of DDR3-1333 (PC3-10700) 667MHz. The latest modules have increased in standard, so they are DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) 800MHz.

The motherboard and CPU detects memory values based on the RAM installed and attempts to boot and work with the standard specifications. Then if performance RAM is used, it is up to the user to enable the enhanced memory profile or manually input settings for the system to operate at above standard specifications.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

The other most common misconception comes in the SPD Tab of CPU-Z. In addition to other info provided, CPU-Z has a window they call "Max Bandwidth" which is one of the biggest misconceptions/myths/whatever there is on DRAM.

Comment

Working...
                          X