This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD CPU + G.Skill DDR3-1866

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

[Phenom II CPU]

1. CPU Host Frequency will need to be 233 for DDR3-1866. CPU can natively support DDR3-1333 max, but does have an 8X memory multiplier for DDR3-1600, so that is the one you will be using. 233 * 8.00 = ~DDR3-1864

Note, this will also overclock your CPU Frequency, so you should lower the CPU Ratio if this is not desired. If you would like to keep it, make sure to find the sufficient voltage it needs to be completely stable.

2. CPU-NB Frequency should be 2800MHz, or 12X (233 * 12.00 = ~2800MHz).

Then set DRAM Timings tCL - tRCD - tRP - tRAS - Command Rate/Timing (that the memory is rated for).

3. DRAM Voltage (that the memory is rated for)
    Even if the memory is 1.50V, default, it should still be manually set.

4. Lastly, CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V. This will help the CPU fully support DDR3-1866 since AMD technically supports 2 modules of DDR3-1333/1600 only.

5. F10, save, exit, and everything should be ready to go.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

[Non-Black Edition Phenom II CPU]

If you have a non-Black Edition CPU, you can attempt DDR3-1600 using Method #1 in this guide:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

or

manually inputting DRAM Frequency DDR3-1333, DRAM Timings tCL 8 - tRCD 8 - tRP 8 - tRAS 24, DRAM Voltage 1.50V

These are fail proof settings that should work with any DDR3-1600 CL9 or better memory kit. It is commonly used to determine whether the problem is with the RAM or the BIOS settings.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

[FX or A Series CPU]

Method 1.

A. Enable DOCP/EOCP in BIOS.
    a. If unstable, raise CPU-NB Voltage in addition to the above.

B. Set CPU-NB Voltage +0.05V to +0.1V depending on stability

C. F10, save, exit, and everything should be ready to go.

Method 2.

A. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1866

B. Set DRAM Timings to tCL - tRCD - tRP - tRAS - Command Rate
    (that the memory is rated for)

C. Set DRAM Voltage to what the memory is rated for.
    (Manually set even if default 1.50V)

D. Set CPU-NB Voltage +0.05V to +0.1V depending on stability

E. F10, save, exit, and everything should be ready to go.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH
    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM.

Great, clear, concise summary! Thanks Skill Tech
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
    Noctua NH-U9B SE2
    Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
    G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
    Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
    XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
    Corsair HX850
    Antec 900
    Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

I followed all the steps given for Phenom II and am still having problems.

I have a 4 core AMD 965 BE and my mobo is a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H.
      RAM is G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Everything was set as auto originally for the RAM settings but I experienced multiple crashes.

When I apply the giving RAM and voltage settings and save it, my computer fails to boot at all and I have to remove the CMOS battery until the memory clears. It seems to be doing this whenever I make any changes to voltages. I've tried applying the settings multiple times with the same result of no boot. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

I normally suggest the 965 Rev C as entry for 1600, to run 1866 it takes a Strong 965, and generally will need a fair amount of DRAM and CPU/NB voltage (a little extra vCore on the OC doesn't hurt either)....if you can't hit 1866, might try 1600 with 8-8-8-24 timings for near same performance though slightly less bandwidth than 1866

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by sircrisp View Post
          I followed all the steps given for Phenom II and am still having problems.

I have a 4 core AMD 965 BE and my mobo is a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H.
          RAM is G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Everything was set as auto originally for the RAM settings but I experienced multiple crashes.

When I apply the giving RAM and voltage settings and save it, my computer fails to boot at all and I have to remove the CMOS battery until the memory clears. It seems to be doing this whenever I make any changes to voltages. I've tried applying the settings multiple times with the same result of no boot. Any help would be appreciated.
          I have a very similar setup and could not get 1866 to run, but 1600 is rock solid, give it a go. if you are still having issues, test each stick individually to check if a bad stick is contributing to the problem
          AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
          Noctua NH-U9B SE2
          Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
          Corsair HX850
          Antec 900
          Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

I tried switching to 1600 with 8-8-8-24 timing and with the above settings, the settings from the DDR3-1600 thread, and with auto settings (cb-nb @2000, ht link freq@2000, DRAM voltage at 1.5 and CPU 1.4)

The only one that even boots is letting it run with everything but timing to auto but then it either freezes at the post screen or while loading the OS. I used Microsoft's included memory tester on the Win 7 disk and it detected no errors.

Any more advice you can give me?

Comment

What is your CPU/NB Voltage? Did you test each stick individually to make sure you dont have a bad stick? Try run MemTest.

Reset the BIOS to optimized defaults...and see if it will run properly. If this does, the raise it to 1600 and use the base 9-9-9-28 settings CPU/NB Voltage +0.1V.
              AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
              Noctua NH-U9B SE2
              Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
              Corsair HX850
              Antec 900
              Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

You mean you tried DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24? Those are the fail proof settings, not DDR3-1600.

For DDR3-1600, CPU-NB Frequency should be ~2400MHz, and CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V

For DDR3-1866, CPU-NB Frequency should be ~2800MHz, and CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V as well.

Make sure to complete each step of the guide!

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Originally posted by sircrisp View Post
                I tried switching to 1600 with 8-8-8-24 timing and with the above settings, the settings from the DDR3-1600 thread, and with auto settings (cb-nb @2000, ht link freq@2000, DRAM voltage at 1.5 and CPU 1.4)

The only one that even boots is letting it run with everything but timing to auto but then it either freezes at the post screen or while loading the OS. I used Microsoft's included memory tester on the Win 7 disk and it detected no errors.

Any more advice you can give me?

Comment

AMD A10 Trinity CPU + S.Skill DDR3-1866

I'm looking to purchase G.Skill RAM for a PC I'm planning to build this weekend. I already own a Zalman TNN500AF case which is passively cooled throughout so I've opted for an AMD A10 5700 (65 Watts) and an Asus F2A85-V PRO motherboard. However, I'm stumbling on what RAM to buy to go with the CPU and motherboard. I think I may have identified G.Skill 16GB TridentX DDR3 Dual Channel kit, 2x8GB modules (part# F3-1866C8D-16GTX) as fitting the bill nicely but I can't be certain as the part is not listed in the Asus qualified vendor list on their web site. Can anyone tell me if the TridentX are definitely a suitable choice?

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Highfield View Post
                    I'm looking to purchase G.Skill RAM for a PC I'm planning to build this weekend. I already own a Zalman TNN500AF case which is passively cooled throughout so I've opted for an AMD A10 5700 (65 Watts) and an Asus F2A85-V PRO motherboard. However, I'm stumbling on what RAM to buy to go with the CPU and motherboard. I think I may have identified G.Skill 16GB TridentX DDR3 Dual Channel kit, 2x8GB modules (part# F3-1866C8D-16GTX) as fitting the bill nicely but I can't be certain as the part is not listed in the Asus qualified vendor list on their web site. Can anyone tell me if the TridentX are definitely a suitable choice?

Many thanks.
                    The TridentX shouldn't be a problem, you may not be able te get the RAM to run at 1866 though. However even if you cannot get the RAM to run at 1866 (sometimes those quoted faster speeds are for one slot of RAM only - my Asus board for example) you will be able to run it slower with tighter timings.
                    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
                    Noctua NH-U9B SE2
                    Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
                    Corsair HX850
                    Antec 900
                    Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Thanks for your input, aim54x. I've read on several web sites that have tested AMD's Trinity CPU's and they suggest that the iGPU part of the processor is particularly sensitive to RAM inasmuch as it will perform best with high speed RAM. As the Trinity A10 supports 1866mhz natively, I'm going to plummet for a pair of TridentX. Thanks again.

Comment

Just had a look at the motherboard manual....looks like it should not have any issues with running 1866, so some TridentX looks like it will fit the bill nicely. There is a very good note about QVL Memory lists (http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566) basically in a nut shell they test what is readily available to them within the allocated testing time period.
                        AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
                        Noctua NH-U9B SE2
                        Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
                        Corsair HX850
                        Antec 900
                        Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                          __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
                          [FX or A Series CPU]

Method 1.

A. Enable DOCP/EOCP in BIOS.
                          a. If unstable, raise CPU-NB Voltage in addition to the above.

B. Set CPU-NB Voltage +0.05V to +0.1V depending on stability

C. F10, save, exit, and everything should be ready to go.

Method 2.

A. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1866

B. Set DRAM Timings to tCL - tRCD - tRP - tRAS - Command Rate
                          (that the memory is rated for)

C. Set DRAM Voltage to what the memory is rated for.
                          (Manually set even if default 1.50V)

D. Set CPU-NB Voltage +0.05V to +0.1V depending on stability

E. F10, save, exit, and everything should be ready to go.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH
                          Hi, I have G.Skill F3-2133C9D-16GXH, DDR3-2133 CL9-11-11-31 1.6V 8GBx2 kit. MY system is in my signature. I tried it with no dGPU, running the IGP, no HDD or ROM plugged in, barebones to see if it would work. Memory is in Dimm1 and 2.

I cannot get the system to even POST when I set it to 1866 speed. It runs great, starts up at 1333, and I can set it to 1600 no problems. I have done as described above, even set the timings as it would be for 2133. Tried upping DDR voltage to 1.65V, and CPU-NB up to +0.1. Disabled Spread Spectrum. I tried many different settings and updated to latest bios, but still can't get it to 1866. I do not have any overclock on anything, and 1866 is just a simple setting already available from the FX memory controller, no overclock needed, except on the 1333 RAM of course.

Any ideas? With my huge cooler that covers the RAM its a PITA to remove or swap them, but may try 1 stick, or other Dimm sockets if it comes to that.

Thanks
                          MSI 890GXM-G65 uATX mobo, AMD FX-6300 CPU, Cooler Master GeminII heatsink with dual 120mm Evercool Aluminum fans, Gigabyte Windforce HD7850 dGPU, G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3-2133 1.6V CL9 8GBx2, Plextor M5S 128GB SSD, Seasonic X650 Gold PSU, APEX TX-381-C uATX tower; Win7 Premium 64. Future Update: AMD HD8870 xfire

Comment

Your 6300 may not be able to handle 1866 and/or may need additional voltage to DRAM and CPU/NB to try and run them at 1866. The FX CPU's are rated UP TO 1866 AT 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL (and that rating came about from testing with 4GB sticks and with more towards the top of the line FX CPUs. For 16GB or more and say your CPU i'd look to try and run at 1600....or for 1866 may need to take CPU/NB up to about 1.35-1.4 voltage wise.
                            Here's AMDs freq guide:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...encyguide.aspx

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank You for that. So, I will run at 1600 for now, or maybe try to bump it up by FSB to 220-233 and drop CPU multiplier, and keep RAM ration at x4. Setting RAM ration to 4.66 appears to just disable the CPU completely. When I set the higher RAM ratio, the screen just stays blank, I get nothing and it wont even reset itself like its supposed to after failures.

At 1600, seems to do fine at CL8-8-8-24, is this F3-2133C9D-16GXH kit likely to be stable down to 7-8-7-24 @1600 with 1.65V?
                              MSI 890GXM-G65 uATX mobo, AMD FX-6300 CPU, Cooler Master GeminII heatsink with dual 120mm Evercool Aluminum fans, Gigabyte Windforce HD7850 dGPU, G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3-2133 1.6V CL9 8GBx2, Plextor M5S 128GB SSD, Seasonic X650 Gold PSU, APEX TX-381-C uATX tower; Win7 Premium 64. Future Update: AMD HD8870 xfire

Comment

Working...
                              X