Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three faulty DIMMs in kit of G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10Q-16GTX

Hi,

I believe I have three (3) faulty modules in a kit of G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10Q-16GTX memory and have tested thoroughly to come to this conclusion. Below is my testing methodology and results - any assistance to resolve this issue is appreciated.

Platform details:

Intel Core i7 4770K
    GIGABYTE Z87X-OC
    G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10Q-16GTX
    Corsair AX1200i
    Intel X25-M

Notes:
    • The RAM kit has only ever been used with XMP profiles - no manual overclocking; that was meant to happen on this platform!
    • The CPU is new, first use, fresh out of the box and cooled by a Noctua NH-U12P with a push-pull 2-fan configuration
    • RAM is on motherboard QVL found here: http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileLi...ga-z87x-oc.pdf
    • Motherboard was received from Dinos22 (GIGABYTE Technical Marketing Executive ANZ & Team.AU member) and was tested and found to be fully functional prior to handing over to me
    • Corsair AX1200i is new, first use, fresh out of the box and works on X58 platform

Initial Setup & Testing

System initially setup with 2x DIMMs in slots 1 & 2 (orange DIMM slots) which returned a beep code of consecutive beeps and froze on POST code 15.

I removed the memory and tested individual DIMMs starting in slot 1 (orange slot closest to OC Gear area).

This resulted in the following finds:

1x DIMM boots @ CMOS cleared defaults (1.5v) and passes MemTest using both XMP Profile 1 and Profile 2 @ 2400 10-12-12-31 with vDIMM manually set to 1.65v. Tested to work in every DIMM slot.

3x DIMMs won't boot at either CMOS cleared defaults (1.5v) or with 1.65v vDIMM pre-set with the good DIMM. Tested in every DIMM slot and same result for every slot.

An error during POST at code 15 can indicate a number of issues including an incorrectly seated CPU (leading to incorrect contact between socket pins and CPU pads), faulty memory or faults within the connections in the DIMM slots.

Upon further discussion with Dinos22, he suggested getting some electronic circuit board cleaner to clean out the socket, DIMM slots and nearby areas of any possible contaminations/debris causing poor contacts. I used the same cleaner as used by Dinos22 and Youngpro.

Actions Taken
    • Pulled down system
    • Using electronic circuit board cleaner (Jaycar Servisol Cat. NA-1008) sprayed CPU socket (front and back), DIMM slots (front and back), bottom of CPU (it was brand new/first use, cleaned regardless) and contacts on DIMMs (both sides)
    • Dried thoroughly with hair dryer
    • Tested each individual DIMM in all four memory slots

Note: went all-out and used a whole can of cleaner to be thorough.

Tested based on the following layout:

DIMM1 = Orange slot closest to OC Gear
    DIMM3 = Black slot closest to OC Gear
    DIMM2 = 2nd Orange slot
    DIMM4 = 2nd Black slot

Results from testing with F5m BIOS

Module #1 testing post-clean:

DIMM1 = boots, launches MemTest, full pass with zero errors.
    DIMM2 = boots, launches MemTest, full pass with zero errors.
    DIMM3 = boots, launches MemTest, full pass with zero errors.
    DIMM4 = boots, launches MemTest, full pass with zero errors.

Module #2 testing post-clean:

DIMM1 = consecutive beeps (beep-beep-beep etc) @ code 15, no progression past this.
    DIMM2 = consecutive beeps (beep-beep-beep etc) @ code 15, no progression past this.
    DIMM3 = consecutive beeps (beep-beep-beep etc) @ code 15, no progression past this.
    DIMM4 = consecutive beeps (beep-beep-beep etc) @ code 15, no progression past this.

Module #3 testing post-clean:

DIMM1 = beep @ code 15 then power loop repeat @ code 15.
    DIMM2 = consecutive beeps (beep-beep-beep etc) @ code 15, no progression past this.
    DIMM3 = beep @ code 15 then power loop repeat @ code 15.
    DIMM4 = beep @ code 15 then power loop repeat @ code 15.

Module #4 testing post-clean:

DIMM1 = consecutive beeps (beep-beep-beep etc) @ code 15, no progression past this.
    DIMM3 = consecutive beeps (beep-beep-beep etc) @ code 15, no progression past this.
    DIMM4 = consecutive beeps (beep-beep-beep etc) @ code 15, no progression past this.

Results from testing with X05 BIOS

Module #1 testing post-clean:

DIMM1 = boots, launches MemTest, full pass with zero errors.
    DIMM2 = boots, launches MemTest, full pass with zero errors.
    DIMM3 = boots, launches MemTest, full pass with zero errors.
    DIMM4 = boots, launches MemTest, full pass with zero errors.

Module #2 testing post-clean:

Module #3 testing post-clean:

DIMM1 = begins POST and freezes on error code 15 - fans on heatsink and PSU keep spinning, no beep code from speaker.
    DIMM2 = begins POST and freezes on error code 15 - fans on heatsink and PSU keep spinning, no beep code from speaker.
    DIMM3 = begins POST and freezes on error code 15 - fans on heatsink and PSU keep spinning, no beep code from speaker.
    DIMM4 = begins POST and freezes on error code 15 - fans on heatsink and PSU keep spinning, no beep code from speaker.

Module #4 testing post-clean:

Next Steps

So there it is. Everything points to three (3) faulty DIMMs in this 4x4GB kit.

I haven't made an RMA request for two reasons:
    • The G.Skill website said to come here to trouble shoot before lodging an RMA request
    • I no longer have a receipt/invoice/proof of purchase for this kit - kit purchased 2 months prior to obtaining the rest of the platform and paperwork has been misplaced

Can I proceed to make an RMA request based on the information provided here?

If so, will I get Samsung based ICs again? The 5th-8th digits in the serial number are 1500, which leads me to believe the modules are using Samsung ICs (obviously, haven't been able to confirm this through testing). I have not tampered with the heat spreaders etc.

Thanks for reading.

Definatly sounds like bad dimms... however there is NO way on earth 3 would go bad without some sort of terrible handling. Did YOU use them prior to obtaining them or someone else? They do have a lifetime warranty so I'm sure you can do an RMA and get a set back, but this sounds like someone either pawned a bad set off on you, or you I don't know wore socks and intentionally shocked them dimms, repetedly lol
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Mate, I was as surprised as you when I found three (3) faulty DIMMs in a quad channel kit.

I have 10 years experience building and modifying computers, have worked as head technical writer/reviewer for a nationally published computer magazine and I'm a member of Team.AU (www.facebook.com/teamauoc). I know how to handle hardware, specifically memory too. I can say in confidence that no mishandling or misuse has occurred as I wouldn't inquire about RMA otherwise.

Believe me, it's been a pain in the rear not having memory for my system and having slowed down the creation of content for Team.AU, forums, websites and magazines. It's frustrating to say the least.

Any word from G.Skill employees? I'd really like to get the RMA process going as soon as possible - down time isn't good!

Comment

I wasn't juding your tech ability but when you said

"The RAM kit has only ever been used with XMP profiles - no manual overclocking; that was meant to happen on this platform!"

That made me think you purchased them second hand. Have you tried this memory in another board? I assume it was working when it was taken out of the old build (if by you). Like I said wasn't judging you just going by what info I was provided.

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma <---- RMA form Suggest email: rma@gskill.com
        When you complete said form if u decide to go that way

Request an RMA if you're sure the memory is bad. Additionally if they are new sticks, they were still handled likely three times after they left Gskill's hands (shipper/retailer/shipper) so you never know what someone might have done with them.
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Follow through with the RAM process and we can have them replaced right away.

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          Are you an overclocker? Have screen shots of your OC results? Please post and share your OC experience!

The new G.Skill Overclocking Section!

http://www.gskill.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Comment

Just an FYI (I sent this in a PM a few days ago)

The RMA links are all broken, the actual form takes you to main GSkill page, Other two links are completely busted "file not found"

Comment

Working...
            X