/swap on SSD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Further...

You are right on the fact that there is no performance increase. With respect to the dump, the only advantage then of the swap is so that you can read and learn why it happened. It doesnt do anything other than providing storage for the file.

Myself, I haven't had a crash since I dont know when, the early days of Vista before i turned off all that crap really. On my system, Indexing, pagefile, hibernate, restore, superfetch and prefetch are all off. My system has run like a charm since vista.

Comment

Wow, I think you are the only one that has had a good experience with Vista! lol I have been on Linux for about 4 months and love it. Things are so much faster and smoother than I ever had with MS. I can't wait to see how the SSD flies. And we are only talking about 8GB on a 240GB drive. Not too worried about that space. Perhaps swap is vestigial at this point, but it certainly won't hurt anything.
      Current: Dell Latitude D820 - Centrino Duo T2400 1.83GHz, 2GB 667MHz RAM, 80GB HDD, CD/DVD RW, Win XP
      On Order: Sager 5135 - i7 640M, 8GB G Skill 1333MHz RAM, Intel Centrino 6400 b/g/n, 240GB Phoenix Pro (maybe), NVIDIA 425M with Optimus, BluRay Read DVD RW, Dual boot W7 and FreeBSD.

Comment

Further...

With all toys loaded, my laptop starts at around the 12 second mark from push of the button until desktop enabled for use. I can get that down to 7 seconds and have topped at 7.2 seconds best.

My ssds even from 3 years ago are still all top performers with no degradation. I believe the problem lies in the way that system restore affects ssds and have not had system restore on for 3 years. I seem to be the only who does not experience performance degradation with age.

My proof is strictly from experience and not scientifically based. Right now, I have my Sammy 64Gb that I originally tests in Q1 08 and it does not have trim or GC. It runs as good today as it did back then.

Comment

Working...
        X