Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with Performance and IRST Drivers Pro Phoenix

Hi Gabe or other Admin,

My issue is that I have done a clean install on a Pro Phoenix 120gb drive and since I did not know about the IRST drivers I only enabled AHCI in my BIOS prior to installing Win x64. I am showing the intel drivers in Device Manager.

My WEI showed 7.3 and I was not happy with this so I downloaded the IRST drivers (not the F6 method since I didn't want to reinstall) and then it prompted me to reboot. Upon reboot I re-ran WEI and my score dropped to 5.9, so you can imagine I was pretty worried. I rebooted, and ran it again and it came back up to 7.3.

My question is multi-part: Why is my score so low? Why did the IRST drivers not improve my performance; is it because I did not do a clean install of Windows? This is too bad because I have already installed all my apps and I will not have time to redo my setup soon, and furthermore, I don't even know if it would benefit me, or if there is something else going on.

Finally, when the new firmware comes out, will I need to re-install to get that, and will that increase my performance?

Thank you, I appreciate you answering these questions and I know they will be helpful to some other people I have been talking to on Tom's and elsewhere who have the same drive.

My Setup:

MSI p45 Platinum
    Intel q9550
    8 gigs Corsair ddr2 ram
    EVGA GTX460 1gb
    Corsair 850w PSU
    3 HDD's
    Win 7 Ultimate x64

My drive seems to be getting slower by the day and it has only been four days since I loaded Windows on to it. Besides WEI I haven't run any benchmarks on it, but it seems like it is degrading...

Any response to my above questions?

Comment

Hi refried
      Sorry.
      Our engineers are trying to rebuild a model like you.
      They need some time to test.

Comment

Hi refried
        Our engineers

Our engineers have completed the test
        IED mode we only get 7.3 score
        Switch to AHCI mode score increased to 7.8

What is your IDE Controllers in Device Manager, which device is the IDE or ACHI device

Comment

I have

Intel (R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller

and I have

Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller

Am I supposed to have both of those? I did have AHCI turned on in BIOS when I installed Windows.

Thanks for getting back.

Comment

Originally posted by refried View Post
            Am I supposed to have both of those?
            It's normal ,because your motherboard has two SATA controllers.
            I think your SSD should be connected to purple SATA port.

Comment

Thanks for your help, my score is up to 7.7 now. Here's what happened:

I had been using the blue SATA ports because I couldn't get to the purple ones easily when I installed it, and I didn't realize they were any different.

However, I do not know if this fixed it or not because when I did that I was forced to do a clean install of Windows. Apparently (maybe you can verify this), when you change your drives to different SATA ports on your motherboard your computer will require a clean install. I was not able to repair the problem and my computer just kept coming up with "boot manager missing" so I finally just reinstalled.

When I reinstalled I formatted the drive in Windows setup (I didn't use HDDerase) and then I used the F6 method to install the IRST drivers.

Now I am at 7.7, up from the original 7.3. I'm satisfied with that. Any thoughts on this? I guess I'll never know what the problem was since I basically did 2 different things at the same time.

Thanks for your help, and to the guys at Tom's who helped me too! (RetiredChief)
              Last edited by refried; 10-23-2010, 11:23 AM.

Comment

About the blue SATA that are use JMicron? 363 Controller
                Maybe is Controller Data transmission or Driver is not faultless.

Comment

Hi, this is just some thoughts from a related setup:

maybe make sure the reg to enable ahci also sets the correct ladable drver for the given controller type. ie,you rst drver doesn't have support for the other onboard controller(s) that have bootable hdds connected, and maybe a reg key s loading only drivers that support ahci and you haven't installed an ahc capable drver for the ther controllr prior to image creation/restore, r phy loc swap. could make image backup on extra hdd, then install drvers from mb webste for other onboard controller, and if sdd is still as fast, make another image backup on extra space of ext hdd, and this will also verify ext drve functionality if on ext sata port, then just image on any extra wipeable hdd, and test(pwr down, unplug ssd, plug inwipeable hdd to easily-accessed nternal sata port&pwr. it just seems to me that from your description, if ahci is set true in reg,win7 wll refuse to load an de drver, classifying it as "not capable of performng certain commands required by the system confg, probably minorly ensure some security

pp2 120g, gb ud4p-p55,w7 64 home prem

Comment

Working...
                  X