X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaks for Phoenix/Phoenix Pro SSD

Dear Users,
    I post this thread to guide some tweaks for Phoenix/Phoenix Pro SSD.

1. Phoenix/Phoenix Pro SSD generally would get better performance in AHCI mode.
    You can set AHCI mode in BIOS, where the option is vary on different motherboard.
    Check this information in your manual of your motherboard.

2. Align partitions to 4KB boundaries.

3. Don't run Benchmark such as "CrystalDiskMark (CDM) "、"AS SSD" so frequently. Test filesize don't set too large with so many cycles. Because such behavior would create temporary uncompressible data that will "dirty" the NAND flashes. With more tests, the performance get worse.

4. Thanks svg , he give us his experience that his BIOS settings could decrease the access time. See his post here

If you have any other tweaks or your personal experiences that could drive Phoenix/Phoenix Pro SSD better, we will be glad to see the information shared to each other in this thread.

Thanks~

Just want to give credit where credit is due.
    When I was looking for performance-related issues for SSDs, I found this article which led me to discover the substantial performance increase when turning off some/all of the bios power settings. I was surpised by how much of a difference it made with my speeds. YMMV.

Conclusion: Power Saving Can Reduce SSD Performance

However, our findings are significant, as they can affect users who may not even know they are running an SSD with the brakes on. In short: really fast SSDs that can deliver 200 MB/s or even more of throughput become limited by CPU performance due to power saving mechanisms?or more precisely, they are bottlenecked by a limited availability of CPU time. This became obvious by switching the various power saving options on and off.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...er,2170-6.html

Comment

Kewl... Let me chk

Comment

Drivers?

Should we use Intel Matrix Storage Manager and/or Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver still???
        Last edited by jjmIII; 08-16-2010, 11:19 AM.
        Intel i7 920@3.67 | Asrock X58 Extreme | 24gb G.Skill DDR3-1600 | EVGA GTX 550 Ti 1GB | G.SKILL Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-120GBP2 120GB SSD & Samsung F4 2TB & Hitachi 3TB | Samsung & Lite-on DVD-RWs | Antec NSK6580 w/ Corsair TX850W | Samsung 941BW | Win7 Ultimate x64

Comment

http://www.intel.com//support/chipse.../CS-022304.htm
          The link from intel shows the RST driver could support TRIM under windows 7 that in AHCI mode and in RAID mode for drives that are not part of a RAID volume.
          So I think that RST would be a better choice.

Comment

I'm not in a Raid config....just one drive??

It was my usderstanding the RST 9.6 was causimg "blue screen of death" with Sandforce?
            My original install (Win7 Ult) on this drive "blue screen'd" like crazy. I did a re-install, but with no RST 9.6 and everything is stable.....but speeds are far below advertised!
            Intel i7 920@3.67 | Asrock X58 Extreme | 24gb G.Skill DDR3-1600 | EVGA GTX 550 Ti 1GB | G.SKILL Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-120GBP2 120GB SSD & Samsung F4 2TB & Hitachi 3TB | Samsung & Lite-on DVD-RWs | Antec NSK6580 w/ Corsair TX850W | Samsung 941BW | Win7 Ultimate x64

Comment

But i often test with the RST 9.6 driver and never encountered BSOD.
              Hou did you install RST 9.6 driver? ?Would you tell me the steps you install it?

Comment

how do i align to 4KB?

i installed W7, and didnt see any options for that, nor did i see an option to format in any formats during install....im assuming it just did the standard cluster size.. whatever that is

Comment

Originally posted by loueber View Post
                  how do i align to 4KB?
                  Looks like Windows 7 does it for you if you create a new partiton when you format and install Windows 7.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=5560

Comment

Originally posted by vaca View Post
                    http://www.intel.com//support/chipse.../CS-022304.htm
                    The link from intel shows the RST driver could support TRIM under windows 7 that in AHCI mode and in RAID mode for drives that are not part of a RAID volume.
                    So I think that RST would be a better choice.

Hi so should i d/l and install the rapid driver even though i'm not running raid?

Comment

another tweak

Add 8 or more gigs of ram turn off paging files off completely. since it will run on the ram.

Comment

Originally posted by Chosin View Post
                        Add 8 or more gigs of ram turn off paging files off completely. since it will run on the ram.
                        I have 8GB of RAM, but I set the page file to 400MB so that if and when my PC crashes, it can generate/write an error report to disk and I can be able to send it to MS.
                        ASUS G73JH-RBBX05 | Intel i7 920XM | 8GB (2GBx4) PC3-10600 | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 | 1920x1080 LED | 120GB SSD G.Skill Phoenix Pro | 500GB HD | Intel 6200 Advanced-N | Windows 7 HP 64Bit

Comment

somethinking

Well ive discovered a way to keep the performance up on your ssd. Dont put windows on it. Put everything else such as games, pictures, whatever. I know its kinda stupid. Windows is constantly reading and writing to C: drive right!! That's the actions that degrades performance of a SSD. Also ive notice that some antivirus programs that run auto scans in background. Ive notice with bit defender ever since i set scanning to manual do it say every week it seems my pheonix read and writes have stayed up higher than before. who knows maybe its just my drive. After using alot of stuff on this forum it still wouldn't stay above 100m/s for over a month. Now going 2 months and still above 100m/s

Comment

Just enjoy it!

@Chosin - I think there's a misconception that SSDs are some fragile porcelain dolls to be admired from behind a glass case... I know what you're trying to get at - that it's a relatively expensive investment at this point, worth "protecting", but still, let's not get carried away and suggest next to not even unwrap it and just admire it while it's in the box. Use it, enjoy it - run it as much as you can doing EVERYTHING that it was meant to do - OS, hardcore everything... trust me, that drive will still perform perfectly at the time when you'll already be replacing it, and you will be replacing it... And if you're only worried about synthetic benchmarks and showing off those benchmarks, well, then you'll always be stressed and you'll never just chill and enjoy what you have. It's a toy - play with it.
                            AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.8Ghz
                            Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (Rev 2.1)
                            Gigabyte GV-N56GOC-1GI GeForce GTX560 @ default factory OC (830/1660/4008)
                            8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 4x2GB @ 800Mhz
                            Corsair 650TX psu
                            Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
                            G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD (firmware 4.2)& 5.5TB combined HDD
                            Windows 7 Pro x64
                            Samsung P2770 via DVI
                            Case air cooled
                            BIOS and drivers always up-to-date

Comment

omnimodis78 It was not to say dont use it. ideas of other uses for the drive it was prob stating the obvious. But it was observation. Everyone puts their OS on it. But the other uses haven't been explored. Such using it as storage and quickly accessing the data on it (home movies, mp3, games whatever.) Everyone is complaining about losing performance with OS installed to it. So just throwing some ideas about. Its the first time within a two week time frame that it didnt drop random I/O below 100 m/s and was sharing my experience. Sad thing is my intel X-25 doesnt do that. It keeps its specs for months. Just opinion

Comment

Working...
                              X