Update Phoenix Firmware - nVidia chipset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update Phoenix Firmware - nVidia chipset

I read instructions on how to update firmware. I attempted to use to tool to see what firmware I have currently, and to update if necessary. The software will not detect my SSD, although it shows up just fine in Windows. When I re-read the directions, I was disappointed to learn that the firmware update software does not work on nVidia chipsets. It says that this will be addressed in the future, and the post that stated that it will be addressed was dated 2008!

This drive was sealed in its package until yesterday. I RMA'd it about a year or so ago because it failed about a month after I bought it. I was afraid it would fail again, but then I read about new firmware fixing these issues.

Is there absolutely no way for someone with an nVidia chipset motherboard to update the firmware? Do I have to put the SSD in another computer, flash new firmware, and then put it back in the computer with the nVidia chipset?

I tried searching the forums, but I couldn't find clear directions on what to do.

Thanks in advance for the help.

**turns out the new drive actually did come with the latest firmware. Good to know**
    Last edited by yourbrokenoven; 06-28-2015, 07:19 PM. Reason: update

Fixed

I found someone's post about using windows ahci drivers and starting the update tool in admin mode. This worked.

Turns out, the drive I got back after I RMAd the original came with the latest firmware.

All that work for naught.
    Last edited by yourbrokenoven; 06-28-2015, 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Now S.M.A.R.T. Says my brand new Phoenix 60gb that I've used for 2 days is bad.

Comment

Try secure erasing then re-install everything to see if that solves the error.

Comment

Drive spontaneously started working again. I didn't change or reinstall anything. This is exactly what my previous Phoenix did before it died a couple years ago.

Comment

try boosting the southbridge / ATA controller voltage to see if that helps. may be slightly inconsistent and causing strange issues.

Comment

Drive failed again after just over one month of use just as previous drive did. Planning on throwing it in trash unless you can RMA it again. It's been a while, though. I doubt the warranty is any good now.

The M4N98TD EVO does not have an option to change the voltage for the southbridge or ATA controller, sorry. It does offer spread spectrum (linear down) that is off.

Now I alternate between automatically booting into windows repair (which fails) or I get an error that BOOTMGR is missing.

It's unfortunate that my daughter will not be able to game temporarily while I reinstall windows onto the regular old HDD or order a new cheap-o SSD from somewhere else, but I completely expected this to happen, which is why I hesitated for so long prior to even attempting to use the new RMA'd SSD.

Fortunately for me, I can get a drive twice the size for like a third of the original cost depending on the brand.
              Last edited by yourbrokenoven; 06-28-2015, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X