Profile corruption and general disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile corruption and general disappointment

I have a well working system but the KM780 RGB profile gets corrupted once-twice a week. Most of the times the lighting setting is changed to off or reset to rainbow default. Sometimes the whole profile is empty. I backed it up now so I can restore it, but it is still annoying.

Furthermore, the software is so buggy. Linking a profile to an application for example: The switch between profiles takes about 10 seconds in which the LED's will turn off and on. Meaning if you switch through applications (which obviously happens a lot) the keyboard is restarting all the time. Profiles are totally useless now.

I am planning on doing a big review of the keyboard but currently for the price it costs G.Skill really disappointed, especially on the software side.

Can you post some details about your hardware and software?

When does this corruption occur? Is there something in particular that causes it?

Comment

G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 RGB with Cherry MX Red

AMD Ryzen 1700X
      Asus Prime B350-Plus
      G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR
      Samsung 960 EVO 250GB
      Club3D Radeon R9 280 royalKing

I don't know exactly when. Maybe if system crashed during clocking, maybe more random.

Actually, when thinking about it, the profile getting corrupted I don't care about super much. But the keyboard restarting for every application switch is wayyyyyyyy more annoying.

Comment

Are you using the latest firmware and software from the website?

If you think it may be a problem with the keyboard, feel free to send it in for RMA exchange:

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Comment

Yes SW 0.107 FW 60 2016 Dec 20.

Well, I guess it's normal behaviour? Application switching restarts keyboard?

Comment

Yes, a complete profile change can take some seconds to completely change over. We will look into this to see if it can be improved.

Comment

That would be really good and appreciated.

I will do a big assumption: Currently it looks like the software sends the profile to the keyboard on profile change. Instead just let the software remap the meaning of the keys based on the selected profile. I might be way off here.

Anyways, switching profiles with minimal delay (<0,2s) and no flashing lights etc is really important to me, and I bet others too. I mean if you are gaming and press alt tab to do something and go back to gaming and you need the keyboard for both things, you kinda loose 10-20 seconds. Not the way to go.

Comment

Any progress?

Comment

Hi Saturnus,

When linking profiles to applications, the software does save the profile to the keyboard whenever the application switch occurs. Saving large amounts of key and lighting settings do take a few seconds. The keyboard is designed to work independently from the software, so the settings do need to be loaded into the keyboard before it takes effect.

If you do need instant profile switching, perhaps due to different macro or lighting settings, using mode switches do offer instant switch-overs (the M1, M2, M3 buttons on the top left of the keyboard). So if you have very often used applications (like internet browsers) that you often switch out of, this may be a better alternative.

We will let the keyboard team know about your usage experience, and perhaps they can figure out a better way for the profile switch to happen. Thank you for your feedback.

If you don't mind us asking, what kind of applications are you linking to?

Comment

I see the software is updated recently.
                    In normal use the software is quite better and faster. Nice.

When programming it seems there is being saved to keyboard after every little change. Now that's annoying although I rarely change programming.

But again I had corruption:
                    In M1 no key is working anymore. Gonna make new profile now.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturnus View Post
                      I see the software is updated recently.
                      In normal use the software is quite better and faster. Nice.

When programming it seems there is being saved to keyboard after every little change. Now that's annoying although I rarely change programming.

But again I had corruption:
                      In M1 no key is working anymore. Gonna make new profile now.
                      I think that is related to those topics:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=14654
                      http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=14619

What is your keyboard layout? (English, German, French, Spanish, etc...)

Comment

English I think.
                        QWERTY 26 character alphabet with big shifts.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturnus View Post
                          English I think.
                          QWERTY 26 character alphabet with big shifts.
                          Thanks for the information, I send an email to G.Skill Support with the new information.

Comment

Working...
                          X