Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KM780 RGB & MX Firmware Downgrade/Reset (Manual Firmware Update)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KM780 RGB & MX Firmware Downgrade/Reset (Manual Firmware Update)

In some cases, firmware may be corrupt, causing usage issues on the KM780 MX/RGB keyboard. Please download and follow the instructions below to reset the firmware. The included firmware version is FW26 for KM780 MX and FW46 for KM780 RGB; please use the firmware update in the program files folder (folder name: FWUpdate) for later firmware versions. It's recommended to reinstall the software after resetting the firmware (similar to step 9c) to ensure matching firmware and software versions.

===========================================
    -------- KM780 MX, FIX FOR WINDOWS 10 1809 ----------
    ===========================================
    The update to Windows 10 version 1809 caused the KM780/KM780R MX software to be unable to detect the keyboard. The software is updated to version 2.00 (SW 2.00) and the firmware is updated to version 32 (FW 32) to resolve this issue. SW 2.00 and FW 32 must be used together. Using other software and firmware versions with SW 2.00 or FW 32 will not work.

For the full guide, please visit: https://www.gskill.com/gskill-device...-Fix-Guide.pdf

Please make sure to uninstall previous versions of the software before continuing. You will also need to download the following ZIP files and then extract the contents to a known location.
    Firmware binary file:
    www.gskill.com/gskill-device/firmware/GSKILL_KM780_MX_FW_V0032.zip
    Software installer file:
    www.gskill.com/gskill-device/keyboard/G.SKILL_RIPJAWSKeyboard_KM780_MX_Setup_V2.00.zip

Firmware Manual Update
    1. Unplug the keyboard from the PC.
    2. Locate the small hole under the leg standoff on the upper left corner (underside of the MR key).
    3. Use a paper clip, or something similar (at least 2cm long and less than 1mm in diameter), and insert into the small hole. You should feel a click or feel a switch/button pressed down.
    4. While it is being pressed, insert and connect both USB connectors. The keyboard will not function and the LED lights will not light at this time.
    5. Go to "This PC", and there should be a drive with 64KB size (Drive Name: "CRP DISABLD" or "CRP1 ENABLD").
    6. Delete the drive contents (should be a single file named "firmware.bin"), and then copy the "GSKILL_KM780_MX_FW_V0032.bin" file into the drive.
    7. Remove the paper clip, and reconnect the USB connectors again.
    8. Once keyboard LED is lit up, confirm keyboard is functioning by pressing Windows key.

Install Software (SW 2.00)
    9. Double click on the software installer file ("G.SKILL_RIPJAWSKeyboard_KM780_MX_Setup_V2.00. exe ") and follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.

================================
    -------- KM780 MX INSTRUCTIONS ----------
    Download link for KM780 MX: https://www.gskill.com/gskill-device...M780_MX_26.zip

1. Locate the small hole under the leg standoff on the upper left corner (underside of the MR key).
    2. Unplug the keyboard.
    3. Use a paper clip, or something similar, and insert into hole. You should feel a click or something pressed down.
    4. While it is being pressed, insert and connect both USB connectors. Keyboard will not function and LED will not light at this time.
    5. Go to My Computer, there should be a drive with 64KB size (Drive Name: "CRP DISABLD" or "CRP1 ENABLD").
    6. Delete the drive contents (should be a single file named "firmware.bin"), then copy the GSKILL_KM780_MX_V0018.bin file into the drive.
    7. Remove the paper clip, and reconnect the USB again.
    8. Once keyboard LED is lit up, confirm keyboard is functioning by pressing Windows key.
    9a. Execute and run FWUpdate.exe from the "FWUpdate_KM780_MX_26" folder, with Administrator rights (right click on FWUpdate.exe and click "Run as Administrator"). Wait until update is complete.
    9b. Alternatively, if the G.SKILL driver software is already installed, the paired firmware version can also be found at C:\Program Files (x86)\G.Skill\G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780 MX\FWUpdate
    9c. If G.SKILL driver software is not installed, you may obtain the latest firmware version by downloading and installing the G.SKILL latest software driver from the G.SKILL website. (www.gskill.com/en/download)

-------- KM780 RGB INSTRUCTIONS ----------
    Download link for KM780 RGB: https://www.gskill.com/gskill-device...780_RGB_46.zip

1. Locate the small hole under the leg standoff on the upper left corner (underside of the MR key).
    2. Unplug the keyboard.
    3. Use a paper clip, or something similar, and insert into hole. You should feel a click or something pressed down.
    4. While it is being pressed, insert and connect both USB connectors. Keyboard will not function and LED will not light at this time.
    5. Go to My Computer, there should be a drive with 64KB size (Drive Name: "CRP DISABLD" or "CRP1 ENABLD").
    6. Delete the drive contents (should be a single file named "firmware.bin"), then copy the GSKILL_KM780_RGB_V0037.bin file into the drive.
    7. Remove the paper clip, and reconnect the USB again.
    9a. Execute and run FWUpdate.exe from the "FWUpdate_KM780_RGB_46" folder, with Administrator rights (right click on FWUpdate.exe and click "Run as Administrator"). Wait until update is complete.
    9b. Alternatively, if the G.SKILL driver software is already installed, the paired firmware version can also be found at C:\Program Files (x86)\G.Skill\G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780 RGB\FWUpdate
    9c. If G.SKILL driver software is not installed, you may obtain the latest firmware version by downloading and installing the G.SKILL latest software driver from the G.SKILL website. (www.gskill.com/en/download)
    Last edited by G.SKILL; 03-09-2022, 01:55 AM.

you're kidding cannot access this via programming

a paperclip

This firmware is Keylogging us I was on up to date drivers now I'm on MS drivers no gskill stuff and months later it just reoccurs?
    MY RIG:
    "THOR's Hammer"
    http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=35441

Comment

So I was getting the error that this guy was getting, https://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=13985 , so I clicked on the link he was told to fix his issue, and I followed the steps here. I managed to get the keyboard to let me access the 64kb drive, but no matter how many times I unplug it and plug it back in it will not light back up, and keeps letting me access the 64kb drive even when I dont have anything in the hole to depress whatever switch is in there.

How do I fix this? I had to get my old membrane keyboard out just to type this up.

Comment

Originally posted by Snebbik View Post
        So I was getting the error that this guy was getting, https://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=13985 , so I clicked on the link he was told to fix his issue, and I followed the steps here. I managed to get the keyboard to let me access the 64kb drive, but no matter how many times I unplug it and plug it back in it will not light back up, and keeps letting me access the 64kb drive even when I dont have anything in the hole to depress whatever switch is in there.

How do I fix this? I had to get my old membrane keyboard out just to type this up.
        I have the km780MX and everytime I plug the keyboard in it just pulls up the CRP1 ENABLD drive

Comment

Snebbik,

If you aren't pressing down on the pinhole switch when plugging it in (and you've already copied in the correct firmware BIN file), and it's still giving you the CRP1 ENABLD drive, then the switch is probably stuck. Try inserting a paper clip in the pinhole and click a few times to see if you can get the switch to un-stick.

If that doesn't work, then you'll probably have to RMA the keyboard.

Comment

Okay, so my many issues I've been having with this keyboard, all which started about five months ago, is the sole reason I joined this forum. I immediately noticed this post and went through the procedure. I wasn't aware of the reset hole below and how it could be used to access the onboard memory. This actually gave me some hope.

I inserted the paperclip and was able to delete the .bin image file from the drive, then copied over GSKILL_KM780_MX_V0018.bin and proceeded from there. I tried to re-flash the newest FW, which is stored in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\G.SKILL\G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780 RGB\FWUpdate" directory, but it would fail and tell me to unplug the device and try again. So I then flashed the older FW provided in the file download above, which actually worked. From there I was then able to flash the latest FW, again from the "C:\Program Files (x86)\G.SKILL\G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780 RGB\FWUpdate" directory.

From here, I just set everything back up like I had it from scratch. I use four of the Macro keys and set them up, as well as the default three hardware profiles I use (lighting settings and all). After this, I exported each profile just to have them in case I needed them, because for months now I've had to use them whenever the keyboard simply faults out in numerous, very strange ways. I've had it COMPLETELY DISABLE all the keys upon a cold boot, which is the craziest thing. This forced me to temporarily connect another keyboard just so I could log-in and use the "KB_HW_Reset.exe" utility that's in the program directory. I've come to know this utility very well, as I have to use it at least twice a week when something goes wrong.

In addition to the issue with all the keys simply disabling themselves, I also have had my Macros simply delete themselves, or change to different keys without explanation. NOTHING about what happens makes any sort of sense. There is no pattern to it. About the only fault I can continually reproduce is whenever I have the main software window for the keyboard open, switching to the M3 profile causes it to crash about 70% of the time. After crashing, it will usually screw up my profiles completely and simply importing them back in doesn't work without a complete reset first.

I was about to give up completely, until I decided to come here to see if I could learn anything I haven't tried. This was something I didn't try. Sadly, even though I was able to reset the FW as shown here, then reinstall the software, I'm still having issues. I've already had the dreaded M3 crash so I'm assuming nothing has changed and when I reboot I'm going to have the same exact issues.

I was sent this keyboard as a review sample from Newegg as I am an eggXpert reviewer for them. I liked it so much at first that I bought the MX780 mouse to go with it. But now it's been just two years and these game-breaking issues that started five months ago have completely changed my opinion about this keyboard. The hardware seems fine, but the FW and software are flawed beyond repair, at least in my revision.

I'm running the Cherry MX Brown switches on a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H MOBO, i7 4790K CPU with 16GB of DDR3, and a 1080Ti GPU. My OS is Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1803 (these issues occurred in 1709 as well).

I don't think I can even RMA this unit as it's just slightly past the two year mark. But I'm going to update my EggXpert review on Newegg to let everyone know that there is something seriously wrong with these keyboards. It could just be an isolated case, but I've seen way too many people with the same exact issues as mine. I'm starting to think that the driver software is corrupting the FW when running on later versions of Windows 10. It's really sad because this is such a great keyboard when it works.
            Last edited by slamscaper; 05-25-2018, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Ok, so I dont know how all these relates to me but. Every time I shutdown and boot my PC my Keyboard (KM 780 RGB) is completely disabled and nothing lights up and no button, volume roller works. I have to use the "on screen keyboard" to log in and use the gskill software to select M2 or M3 button then everything works, Lights up. Similar case ?
              Do I reset the keyboard using a paper clip ?

Windows 10 version 1809
              Specs
              Intel i7 8700K + Cryorig A40 Hybrid
              Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 Wifi + Intel Optane 16GB
              Aorus 16gb RGB RAM DDR4 3200
              Colorful RTX 2070 Super
              Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 ARGB 850W Gold
              Hitachi 1tb 7200 rpm + Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb 7200 rpm

Comment

Do you have the keyboard connected directly to motherboard? Check USB port settings to make sure they do not go into a half power state or power saving state during system shut down. The keyboard power should be always be fully ON or OFF.

Should problem persist, you can consider resetting firmware using the instructions above to see if that can solve the issue. Paper clip is only the first step to accessing the keyboard firmware, it is not a settings reset button. Loading keyboard defaults can be done in the wrench icon page of the software.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

I had the keyboard connected to motherboard back I/O oanel since last year, no problem.
                  Nothing is helping , I also did a clean installation of windows. It's still the same. Have to use Windows on screen keyboard to logging and then use the GSkill software and press M2 or M3 profile key to turn the keyboard on.
                  RGB fusion is not changing colors like before. If I select color the entire keyboard goes back dead again
                  Last edited by Kruger Hawke; 01-09-2020, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Kruger Hawke,

Usually, when the keyboard is disabled or loses its settings after a shutdown or a cold boot, it's usually due to either insufficient power or faulty firmware/firmware chip. If you recently have added a USB device, please try moving the two keyboard USB connectors to an empty hub or use another two USB port. Best if it's USB 3.0 ports in the motherboard rear I/O panel.

The firmware reflash makes sure that the firmware is not corrupted, which may cause detection or operational issues.

If none of the above helps, but the keyboard was in normal operating condition before, then it might be a degraded firmware chip. In this particular case, if the keyboard is still under the two year warranty, we'd recommend you to request an RMA replacement with us.

Thank you.

Comment

Yes, The keyboard is still under 2 year warranty from Newegg.com USA. I have all documents and receipt, but there is a catch, I reside in Bangladesh so how do I RMA from here ?
                      I also have dead LEDs in the keyboard. Do i need to send the keyboard back to USA for it ? Can it be from any state ? like the keyboard was purchased in Massachusetts but I can send it back to New York only.

Comment

If you're living anywhere in North America (and where your keyboard is), our RMA procedure will direct you to send it back to our RMA facility in California.
                        If you're living in Bangladesh (and where your keyboard is), our RMA procedures will direct you to send it to our headquarters in Taiwan.

The online RMA request form is here: https://www.gskill.com/rma
                        The address in the online RMA request form will be used as the return shipping address.
                        After submitting this form, you may be asked to send in your proof of purchase, so have it ready in PDF format or a file format you can attach in the email. If you have any other questions, our RMA representatives would be glad to assist you via email.

Before requesting RMA, please do make sure you give our warranty policy a quick read. If there's liquid damage or physical damage to the keyboard, it may prevent the keyboard from qualifying for a replacement.

Comment

Ok so here is a link of my problem, please check the video

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0c?usp=sharing

Comment

There seems to be a couple of different issues, which may need to be resolved differently.

For the dead LED in the Windows key, please feel free to request an RMA replacement.

Regarding the unresponsive keyboard on boot or sleep, please check that both USB connectors are inserted into the rear motherboard USB ports. And that the motherboard BIOS is updated to the latest version. And also try to flip the switch on the top (next to the USB and audio passthrough, above the media keys) to "S" instead of "G". This is usually due to the PC not providing enough power to the keyboard when the system wakes up or boots, causing the keyboard to be not detected by the system.

For the Gigabyte RGB Fusion software, there seems to be a couple of bugs in the recent updated version with detecting or controlling non-Gigabyte devices, so we would recommend you to contact Gigabyte tech support to report this issue.

Comment

Tried every method, its not working. keyboard does not turn on even if I connect it to another PC with no Gigabyte software and flipping the G / S switch, its still the same.
                              Its in dead state till I install the software

Comment

Working...
                              X