Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus B450F Gaming and Trident Z 3200 RGB

Greetings
    I was in the process of building a pc and before I do I always research a lot before I actually lay down cash. I use pcpartpicker and user bench as defaults when building. Since I live in Taiwan naturally I'm a big fan of and Asus so that's what I went with. I decided on your memory because of the lifetime warranty and the popularity of the products. I could not find a quad set in stock anywhere so I just purchased a 16gb set from PC home.
    Installing the set was easy and immediately synced to aura. Since I was purchasing a new case I decided to purchase another 16gb set from pc home since it was working so well, but that's where the trouble started.

Adding the second set to my system first caused the system not to post. The system would just run and I would just have a black screen. Taking them out however fixed that problem but booted me back to bios defaults. That's when I discovered that the ram I had initially been using was only running at 2133 since I never used any overclocking DOCP or anything I just assumed that you stick the RAM in and it works (at least, that's been my case using Kingston Ram for the past 15 years or so as long as the speed was the same). So I got on the net and learned about DOCP and how Asus doesn't have XMP and setting the frequency in bios. I did that and the system then crashed bsod and I was forced to reinstall windows because it gave me a "diagnosing your PC" and I couldn't repair it regardless of what I tried.

Long story short. No where does it say except on your website that there are two separate versions of this ram a tzr and a tzrx. Pcpartpicker told me nothing was wrong user bench told me nothing was wrong and PC home did not notify me either. It wasn't until I researched it deeply that I discovered that I have the tzr and not the tzrx. I went to Asus qvl and this ram is on the list (not the x) but only as 2x8, so I'm not sure if I can only use 2 x 8 sticks or if they just mean the set.

Needless to say I'm upset as everywhere I look (except your site) the internet sings tales of your praises about being compatible with AMD and Intel as well as all the syncing software thats out there. Let me tell you I've been up for close to 30 hours trying to sort this. I managed to get all 4 sticks in but only running at 3000mhz and to be honest I'm scared to touch it in fear I'll have to go through the whole process of testing every stick in every slot and loading bios and then optimizing defaults and then shutting down and inserting another stick and then no post so I take it out and do it all over again.

I ran memtest86 on all 4 sticks and there is no problem with the RAM. So tell me how is it that I can run one stick in any of the slots but the moment I stick a third in I'm in the case flipping the CMOS battery and jumping it to start the process all over again just to crash for no reason or get all sticks running but dealing with stuttering and jigging or flat out shutting down whenever I try to watch netflix.

I've checked everything very carefully and even have a new PSU coming today just to rule out it's not a power issue. (I did get the PSU and installed it last night)

EDIT: This is an email I sent to support yesterday, instead of responding they finally authorized me to post on their forums. I just copy/pasted in hopes that someone out there can help me figure this out. After installing the PSU the system started right up and is now clocked at 3000 MHZ according to userbench - 3d Mark Time Spy crashes at CPU test and to be honest I'm scared to even mess with it. I did notice that now it's not syncing with Aura it just rainbows and does its own thing - but do I dare unseat it to see if it updates?

I've attached an image of pcpartpicker to show you that there should not be a problem. Pc home won't take it back as it's been opened and the 7 days are up. I feel like I just threw 500 bucks away. I can't even find tzrx in stock anywhere with the hope maybe I could sell it second hand to some Intel sucker.

Please help me resolve this issue.
    My specs
    Antec Extreme Gaming Gold 850 PSU
    Asus strix b 450 f gaming bios 1201
    Ryzen 7 2700x
    32gb trident z rgb
    Samsung evo drive
    Vega 56 card no oc
    I can't oc it because every time I try to push the volts or frequency or the dram it crashes. I've tried just using Bios as well as the AISuite Auto overclocker and as soon as it needs RAM it just crashes.

Every driver is updated everything is today current. Please help. Did I make a huge mistake buying the Non X version? Have I wasted my hard earned money on nothing? I only hope that someone out there has an answer for me.
    I will get home from work today and run some more benches and post any updates I get here. Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy post/rant.

Thanks

It is not advised to use two separate kits of RAM in the same system. Only a single kit of RAM should be used.

The GTZRX and GTZR difference is not a concern as the latest BIOS addresses that.

If you are able to get four modules working at DDR4-3000, that may be your best setting. It is not easy to reach a high frequency with 32GB.

Comment

I'm sorry but your statement doesn't help me in any way.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ht-separately/

I've been building PC's for over 15 years and have never encountered a problem using different kits as long as they were the same speed. I've never even touched a timing in my life and once in a while I'll get a bad stick, but G.Skill RAM literally destroys my computer where I have to either reinstall windows or open up the damn case and take them out one by one and literally spend HOURS getting them to operate at an acceptable speed. I had it at 3000 two days ago. Last night started it up and was forced to open the case reset the CMOS and optimize BIOS and reinstall windows! Seriously! if I drop it to 2133 its the only freq that is stable enough to run stress - I can't even finish a Time Spy run which was EASILY done with KINGSTON crap RAM 2400! C'mon!

I'm not trying to refund, I'm not trying to RMA. I'm just trying to get it to work at an acceptable speed that would justify spending close to $500 just to get pretty lights and speeds that I can easily obtain through other RAMS for a fraction of the cost.

I came across a DRAM calculator and will try that tonight. If that doesn't work I will remove 2 of the sticks set it at 3200 but will accept 3000 I guess. If I can't get it to run that way, then we are in for a much more serious conversation.

Comment

Ok, so I came across this nice little program
        https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-a...-dram-am4.html

But I cannot seem to find the manufacturer of my specified RAM. On the Asus QVL is states N/A and here:
        https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...nfusion_eg_on/

are some sets but not mine. Perhaps you could assist me in what chip brand/die was used? I'm at work currently so I do not have the actual part number, but from your site I believe its this set:
        [Trident Z RGB] F4-3200C16D-16GTZR

DDR4-3200 (PC4-25600)
        16GB (8GBx2)
        CL16-18-18-38
        1.35 Volt
        if you could help me with that information that would give me a decent base to start manually OC the sticks to see if they'll run.
        Sorry if I come across as angry. I'm not. I'm really frustrated and I feel cheated and fooled honestly.

Comment

No problem, but that's the reason for complete kits otherwise we can just sell individual modules and people can purchase as many as they need. It's good that you never had issues, because in many cases it can work fine, however from our end it's not something we can recommend because we know how sensitive modules can be especially to reach high frequencies such as DDR4-3200.

To see chip info, download Typhoon Burner software and it can give you all the details you seek.

Comment

Working...
          X