Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there be support for other DIMM slots configurations in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will there be support for other DIMM slots configurations in the future?

Hello guys,

I have a pair of DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 8 GB memory modules and a MSI Z170A GAMING M5 motherboard.

The motherboard has 4 DIMM slots to put my memory in, named DIMM 1 to 4. DIMM slot 1 and 2 form channel A and DIMM slot 3 and 4 from channel B.

According to the motherboard manual (see picture below) the recommended slot configuration for two memory modules is to use DIMM slot 2 and 4. They explicitly say that you should put the first memory module in DIMM slot 2.

When I want to use the Trident Z RGB controller software while having the modules in DIMM slot 2 and 4 (as recommended by the MSI manual), it doesn't recognize them: "No G.SKILL Trident Z RGB DRAM module(s) found on your computer system! Program will be terminated.". So I cant control the RGB with that configuration.

A solution is posted in the topic "[Trident Z RGB Software BETA] Known Issues" by G.SKILL (also see second picture below).

When I use the memory configuration DIMM slot 1 and 3 (as a solution from G.Skill), the RGB controller software works again. However the configuration is not optimal according to the manual. I'm not using DIMM slot 2 as the first slot (it's empty) and I am not using configuration DIMM slot 2 and 4 as recommended for two memory modules. The RGB controller software does seems to work with the configuration DIMM 1 and 2, but the problem with that configuration is that it's single channel mode instead of dual channel mode.

The only dual channel optimal configuration (according to the manual) is DIMM slot 2 and 4, but the Trident Z RGB software only works with one of memory slots in DIMM 1 it seems. I want to have a optimal performance, while still being able to control the RGB lighting of the modules. Is there a way to use the DIMM slot 2 and 4 configuration as specified in the MSI manual below? Or is there going to be support in the future for this kind of configuration?

Thanks in advance!

~Alex

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	136.4 KB ID:	161004

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	161005
    Last edited by RgbRam; 12-04-2018, 04:40 AM.
Working...
X