Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What could be wrong with my F4-320016D-16GTZR

Hello,

I'm building a new rig and facing challenge with memory. Setup is as follows
    • Ryzen 2400G
    • MSI B450 Tomahawk
    • Corsair V650 PSU
    To this added Trident Z RGB F4-320016D-16GTZR ( 2 Dimms of 8GB )

******************************************* I N S T A L L A T I O N **********************************************
    First Day
    The install went fine. Rainbow colors. Booted without issue
    XMP settings
    • Tried to set XMP 2.0 .. long beeps on mobo
    • reset bios
    • booted fine
    • realized bios is not updated
    • updated bios
    • set XMP profile 1 - runs fine at 2933 MHz
    Mystic Light
    • Installed latest version from MSI portal 3.0.0.19
    • it is able to control mobo lights
    • And it also able to control Trident Z
    Subsequently I continue with my work to setup windows

Next Day
    In Mystic Light I tried various combinations which were working. Although I did not pay attention to Dimms and their lights as I was not at all aware there could be any lighting issue
    Later in the day I realize that Dimms are not lighting up. It was then I started reading and trying out fixes mentioned
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************

**********************************************T R Y T H E F I X E S ************************************************* ******
    What I have so far tried
    • Re-seated
    • Change Slots
    • Tried on another PC - I6700K / Asus Sabertooth Mk-1. Rams did not light up on boot - NOT Worked
    • Unplugged power to drain any charge - NOT worked
    • Mystic Light
    • ----- Uninstalled, Reboot - NOT worked
    • ----- Reinstalled, Reboot, Tried off, default , rainbow etc - NOT worked
    • ----- Installed beta version 3.0.0.28 - NOT Worked ( This version is better in terms of memory and CPU usage than 3.0.0.19)
    • GSKILL RGB Software
    • ----- Uninstalled Mystic Light , Reboot, Install GSKILL sw v 1.06.68 , Reboot
    • ----- Error - No Trident Z RGB modules found
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************

****************************************** T H A I P H O O N B U R N E R ******************************************
    Further reading revealed issue about SPD. So I downloaded the THAIPHOON Burner. It showed that
    • CRC is OK on both A2/B2 dimms
    • SPD is OK on both A2/B2 dims
    At one point I had both mystic light + thaiphoon open. And I noticed changes to SPD info. Further probing it I realized
    • When using OFF option in Mystic Light …. it would set the SPD same as reference SPD in Thaiphoon.
    • When using RAINBOW (or say any other) option .. the SPD would not match the reference SPD .. and shows CRC error
    To try this info, I set colors to OFF via Mystic and rebooted with a hope that RAM will pick up default setting on reboot. But it didn't work
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************

*****************************************O F F ___ V S___ R A I N B O W **** A 2 SLOT ****************************************
    Here are various screens from Thaiphoon
    A2 Read / Report

A2 CRC
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************

*****************************************O F F___ V S___ R A I N B O W **** B 2 Slot ****************************************
    Here are various screens from Thaiphoon
    B2 Read / Report
    B
    2 CRC

Appreciate any suggestions on how to get my RAM LED working
    Last edited by ztrident; 10-08-2018, 11:03 PM.

Any suggestions what could be wrong with the ram and can be possibly done to fix/reset them ?

Comment

Any other details I can provide to have some suggestions.

- The RAMs are working fine except the light
      - G.Skill latest application does not detect the RAMs
      - RAMs SPD looks ok
      - No lights even during post
      - No lights when tried on a different system

Comment

Thanks for the PMs I got .. but none of those tricks worked. I tried to share as much info possible. But I guess that pretty much explains it. GSKILL Trident Z RGB is a sure shot NO GO .. One pays premium to get a LED RAM .. only to find that LED won't work. And GSKILL Do Know How To Fix it.
        Last edited by ztrident; 10-14-2018, 11:24 PM.

Comment

did you try these RAM sticks on another pc/ motherboard? asus ai suite utility also caused same problem for me as far as i recall! i had tro reinstall windows and NEVER mix these 2 applications again..Simple (!) software conflict.
          DO NOT USE GSKILL APP WITH ANOTHER RGB APPLICATION CAME WITH THE MOTHERBOARD. at least do not try to control your Gskill RAMs with any other software.

Comment

Originally posted by zrbappy View Post
            did you try these RAM sticks on another pc/ motherboard? asus ai suite utility also caused same problem for me as far as i recall! i had tro reinstall windows and NEVER mix these 2 applications again..Simple (!) software conflict.
            DO NOT USE GSKILL APP WITH ANOTHER RGB APPLICATION CAME WITH THE MOTHERBOARD. at least do not try to control your Gskill RAMs with any other software.
            Yes. Plus many more things I have already tried. Check the *** TRY THE FIXES *** section of my first post

Comment

You have to scan SMBus (System Management Bus) to get a list of connected devices (SPD EEPROMs, LED Controllers, Thermal Sensors, Voltage Regulators, Real Time Clock, etc.). Select SMBus -> Enumerate i2c/SMBus devices. All the DIMM LED controllers may be combined into a single logical device with one SMBus address. In this case RGB is synchronized. Also each DIMM LED controller may work independently from each other. In this case each LED controller has its own address on SMBus and can have an independent RGB color scheme. As far as I know, G.SKILL software can't find LED controllers if they are combined.

Comment

Originally posted by facehook View Post
                You have to scan SMBus (System Management Bus) to get a list of connected devices (SPD EEPROMs, LED Controllers, Thermal Sensors, Voltage Regulators, Real Time Clock, etc.). Select SMBus -> Enumerate i2c/SMBus devices. All the DIMM LED controllers may be combined into a single logical device with one SMBus address. In this case RGB is synchronized. Also each DIMM LED controller may work independently from each other. In this case each LED controller has its own address on SMBus and can have an independent RGB color scheme. As far as I know, G.SKILL software can't find LED controllers if they are combined.
                Thanks for the info. I'll check this part once I have access to the system which is at a different place now. I did use the sync button in MSI software. Sadly, I do not know the exact time when these LEDs turned off.

Having said that one thing that I can't wrap my head around is that this is a well know issue. And that it has resulted in so many RMA's.
                Is it that difficult for GSKILL to check those RMAed Dimms and observe what exactly goes wrong with the LeDs ( ... even if we ignore the why part of it owing to variety of run environments )
                • Is it a software issue (SPD or similar). If yes, can a patch be released to 'reset' the RAM to factory setting.
                • Or are these hardware issues with damage to dimms. If yes, then why is no advisory in place.

Comment

Check out Corsair's support forum. Users all over the world are running into the same issue with the Vengeance PRO series of DDR4 memory modules. So far Corsair doesn't have a solution as well and can help with RMA only.

Comment

Wow. Wasn't aware of Corsair facing similar issue. Looks like some standard is required for RAM LED controller

Comment

Working...
                    X