Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which software can I use without corrupting SPD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which software can I use without corrupting SPD?

I just send my corrupted sticks back and want to get new ones because there is no other RGB quite as good as trident z.
    Which Hardware monitoring software will not result in corrupted SPD data? I really need to use hardware monitoring software in order to check for system stability obviously.
    Can i use Ryzen Master, HWmonitor and msi gaming app also what about CPU-Z ? What if i boot up with those programms installed already? I only removed asus aura, trident z software and msi command center aswell as cleared the registry of those. The others mentioned above are still installed and i wont be able to boot up to the system without the ram because I dont have a spare one compatible with this system.
    Last edited by XBloodyR; 06-05-2017, 06:04 AM.

It is only RGB lighting software that may be a concern.

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Comment

Yes, i have the latest official bios.
      MSI gaming app is a RGB lighting programm although it is just for motherboard and the RGB header which is connected to my wraith spire so i hope i will be fine with that?

Comment

Hi XBloodyR,

Can you list out the motherboard model, BIOS version, and CPU model? For now, you can avoid using software that controls our Trident Z RGB, including ASUS Aura, and you can use software that controls other lighting in your system.

Comment

Tomahawk B350 with the BIOS version 1.5 and the CPU is Ryzen 1700 which i use with the stock RGB cooler which can be controlled by the MSI gaming app.

Comment

Originally posted by G.SKILL View Post
            Hi XBloodyR,

Can you list out the motherboard model, BIOS version, and CPU model? For now, you can avoid using software that controls our Trident Z RGB, including ASUS Aura, and you can use software that controls other lighting in your system.
            I plan to buy a Ryzen system very soon and here is the spec:
            Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 (will flash the latest beta bios)
            Ryzen 7 1700
            NZXT Kraken cooler, Hue+, Aer fans and RGB stuffs
            And of course a 16GB 3200mHz Trident Z RGB

Like the topic said, what can i really install to avoid causing any issue? I just need basic monitoring software. Will installing both Gigabyte fusion and cam software corrupt the RAM? I can live with rainbow for now.

I still have faith in G.skill!
            Planning stage:
            Ryzen 7 1700
            Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5
            Gigabyte Aorus RX580 XTR
            G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8 3200mHz
            NZXT Kraken X52

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post

This is NOT TRUE!! ANY utility that does SPD reads is liable to cause problems, including CPU-Z, HWINFO, HWMONITOR, SIV, Speed Fan etc. and there are multiple reports of this on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by BillB View Post
                This is NOT TRUE!! ANY utility that does SPD reads is liable to cause problems, including CPU-Z, HWINFO, HWMONITOR, SIV, Speed Fan etc. and there are multiple reports of this on this forum.
                Can you name any program I could use to check my cpu temps which does not cause SPD problems, is there even a program like that?

Comment

Originally posted by XBloodyR View Post
                  Can you name any program I could use to check my cpu temps which does not cause SPD problems, is there even a program like that?
                  Core Temp has been working fine for me...

But any hardware monitoring programs seem to cause issues.

It's Embarrassing really.

Comment

Yes I am sorry. I did not respond because I don't know of any. Accessing the SMB Buss is required to read RAM data which every program I know of does. I forgot about Core Temp. Core Temp ONLY reads CPU temps so I THINK it should be OK. I can't offer you a guarantee as I have not tested it.

Comment

do you have to send in both or just the one that doesn't light up?

Comment

Ideally both because they are a matched set; if you do that you can get a new kit back.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post

^^^This is what irriates me!

Originally posted by BillB View Post
                          BillB is correct! Anyone who has purchased this memory or who are considering it need to know that just about anything a user would use to view system information can put you in an RMA situation with this memory. To make matters worse, the customer has to pay for the shipping for their memory to go back to G.Skill.
                          Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
                          Arctic Cooling Freezer 360
                          Asus Crosshair VI Hero
                          32GB (4X8) F4-3600C15D-16GTZ - G.Skill took too long getting their act together with their RGB RAM!
                          2X Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
                          Samsung EVO 960 500GB
                          3X Seagate 3TB SATA3/7,200RPM
                          LG 16X Blu-Ray/DVD Writer
                          SilverStone Strider 1200 Watt
                          Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered

Comment

Originally posted by Syaoran View Post

^^^This is what irriates me!

BillB is correct! Anyone who has purchased this memory or who are considering it need to know that just about anything a user would use to view system information can put you in an RMA situation with this memory. To make matters worse, the customer has to pay for the shipping for their memory to go back to G.Skill.
                            Are these SPD issues still an issue? How can simple diagnostic software corrupt these DIMMs? I use OpenHardwareMonitor frequently, so this is a concern for me.

Comment

I don't know about G.Skill's LED control software. I have not been on this forum in a while, and posts about G.Skill LED RAM problems seem to have died down. Taking a quick look around, it seems like G.Skill just stopped releasing updates to their software. I bought a set of F4-3200C14D-16GTZR (Samsung B-Die) which I was able to easily run at 3200MHz and pass Google stressapp test via Linux Mint and HCL Memtest. So the RAM part of the RAM works great.

As for the LED part, it was with great trepidation that I purchased G.Skill LED RAM after reading the horror stories on this site in mid to late 2017. When I took the plunge, I vowed to NEVER install ANY G.Skill software on my new system. The LED RAM went into a Z370 build with an Asus Maximus X Hero (wifi), and has been under Asus Aura control. On first power up the DIMMs came up with the default Rainbow pattern running. I immediately used Thaiphoon Burner to capture full dumps of the SPD data so I could re-blow the DIMMs if they got corrupted. Then I tried changing the LEDs with Aura. Aura is a bit clunky, but it controls the G.Skill RAM flawlessly on my system. I run SIV and HWINFO64 all the time and have yet to have an issue. I am not familiar with Open Hardware Monitor so I checked it out. Looks a lot like HWINFO64, and I suspect works in a similar way.

If you go for the G.Skill LED RAM, and have an Asus motherboard, my advice is to not install any G.Skill LED control software and use Aura to control the LEDs. I don’t know what the options are if you are not using an Asus board. I think you can run Aura on systems with non-Asus motherboards, but probably not concurrently with another brand’s LED control software (Mystic Light or whatever). I have not had any problems doing it this way and running system monitoring software (HWiNFO64 and SIV anyway). YMMV...

edit to add - I definitely would NOT run Corsair Link if using G.Skill LED RAM. Link used to, but no longer uses the SPD buss access interlock - a decision Corsair made as they changed so software based LED control for their latest LL series fans. Link now can NOT be run concurrently with SIV or HWINFO64, or Aura.
                              Last edited by BillB; 06-05-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X