Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My experience with the Trident Z RGB Ram...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience with the Trident Z RGB Ram...

Hey guys,

Just thought I would post my experience...

I upgraded my machine to an i7-7700k, with a Z270 TUF Mark 1 & 32 GB Trident Z RBG DDR4-3200 memory. I enabled the XMP Profile after getting the machine up and running and tried to install windows. no luck, it kept on blue-screening during the installation at different points... I knew pretty much with the XMP enabled the system was unstable. So i disabled the XMP profile and windows installed no problems. So i figured the BIOS was out of date v.0505. It was and updated it to the v.0906. I then went back in and enabled the XMP profile... no post... i was like great... So i figured ok, i'll just set the timings manually and get my 3200Mhz that way. No post... So then I set the clock speed back to 3000Mhz and the system is working fine at that speed... no issues, the system appears stable. I'm ok running the ram at 3000Mhz.

Then the lighting on the rams were starting to stop working... after some digging around on the g.skill forums, i had installed both ASUS Aura and G.Skill Trident Z RGB software. So i uninstalled both from the system, i pulled the power plug from the computer for about 5 minutes and plugged it back in, installed the Trident RGB Software and the lighting is working fine, no issues.

Unfortunately, if i want to run CPU-Z, i have to remember to disabled the G.Skill lighting first...

Will I have to do the same for HWiNFO? Does anyone know?

Also, for the G.Skill developers and engineers. I'm curious that you can send a signal through the SMBus to change the lighting on the ram. Are you able to distinquish if the signal is coming from your software or another software?

Thanks
    AJ
    Last edited by AJCroteau; 05-31-2017, 04:00 AM. Reason: Changing the Title

No, CPU-Z and HWINFO is fine. Problem can occur if multiple software is trying to gain access to RGB lighting, so as long as you avoid that everything will be fine.

Comment

There are reports that running CPUz or HWINFO or HWMONITOR causes the LEDs on the DIMMs to lock up or otherwise malfunction and the G.Skill RGB utility to crash. So are you SURE about this?
      Last edited by BillB; 06-06-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

If you stop the G.SKILL lighting service (AsLedService/LightingService) in the services menu, or if you turn off the lighting in the Trident Z RGB software (on/off switch on the top right), then you can run CPU-Z or other hardware detection software without locking up the lighting on the modules.

We have found that some chipsets and motherboards tend to lock up more often than others, but the best way to avoid locked up lighting is the above method.

If you've updated to v1.00.22, please do make sure to press "DEFAULT" after the first software launch. This would clear everything, and then the modules would reset to its default rainbow wave by shutting down and rebooting if it happens to get locked up.

Comment

So this morning, with the lighting on the dimms, I tried both HWiNFO and CPU-ID/CPU-Z. HWiNFO had no affect so that appeared fine. However, i'm running the rainbow effect on my memory modules. When I ran CPU-ID, the rainbow effect stopped on the DIMMS. I tried opening the GSkill lighting program and turning the memory on and off, which turned the dimms off and on, but didn't restore the lighting effect. Ultimately, I had to completely shutdown the machine, wait a few seconds, and then turn the machine on and the lighting effect on the ram started working again.

That being said, I would say definitely turn the lighting off before running CPU-ID. HWiNFO appears to be ok with the lighting enabled.

AJ

Comment

By CPU-ID do you mean CPU-Z? I am not clear on what CPU-ID is. A separate utility?

Comment

Originally posted by BillB View Post
              By CPU-ID do you mean CPU-Z? I am not clear on what CPU-ID is. A separate utility?
              My bad, CPUID is the developer for CPU-Z... I'm referring to CPU-Z.

Comment

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure because a G.Skill rep has been posting that only RGB utilities can cause problems and CPU-Z is OK to use. I don't think that's true as your post and others indicate. I would hate to see people read his post and end up having more problems after they run CPU-Z.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                  No, CPU-Z and HWINFO is fine. Problem can occur if multiple software is trying to gain access to RGB lighting, so as long as you avoid that everything will be fine.
                  I'm sorry but I think you are incorrect in advising that using CPU-Z and HWINFO is fine. There are reports in this very thread that CPU-Z is causing problems with the LED DIMMs. Also here is a statement from Elmo at Asus regarding this.

"Aura software and RGB sticks corrupting SPD

If you're using out Aura software and have compatible RGB sticks installed, please make sure you're not running any other software which is reading SPD (CPU-Z, HWMonitor, HWInfo32/64, SIV, AIDA64, Speedfan etc) or you might end up with a corrupted SPD. Most of the time they will still work fine, but there's a slight chance your sticks might become unusable. It's currently being investigated on our side, until then I have to recommend to uninstall Aura until we've fully assessed the situation. From what I've learned it's a bug present with several different vendors and combinations of both motherboards and DRAM modules."

This was posted at OC.net at the following link:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/r...locking-thread

I really think you should reconsider telling people there is no risk in running CPU-Z or HWINFO or ANY utility that reads the SPD data until you have this sorted out. If I am wrong then please confirm and I will shut up but you should also explain what happened to those posting that when they ran CPU-Z, they lost their LED RAM settings.

Comment

BillB is correct! At least Hwinfo can probe the temperature from the on-die thermal sensor of SPD EEPROM device. Both the SPD EEPROM and thermal sensor are I2C/SMBus-compliant devices.

Comment

THANK YOU facehook. The problem is bad enough without G.Skill reps posting incorrect and dangerous information. ANY program that does SPD reads could cause problems. Thank you for backing me up on this.

Comment

Working...
                      X