Can't uninstall, re-install, open app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't uninstall, re-install, open app

So I thought I'd like to use Aura for my lights, and because I read I can't have the g.skill RGB software and Aura at the same time, I should uninstall the g.skill software.
    Well, I'm getting a "catastrophic error" error now upon trying to uninstall. Re-install gives the same error, and the app doesn't open any more. The uninstall instruction found on this forum doesn't apply/work either.
    Short of reinstalling Windows, is there anything else I could try?

And another thing: The memory is DDR4-3000, yet CPUz (and BIOS) shows me the speed as 2132MHz. Why is that?
    Last edited by naujoks; 05-03-2017, 02:29 AM.
    Asus STRIX Z270F
    i7700k
    16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB

Try enabling xmp in the mem settings, and see if that corrects the speed.
    As far as removing and installing/uninstalling.

Try using a 3rd party program uninstaller. I have been using Advanced Uninstaller pro i think it works well, and removes registries associated with the specific programs.

I would try uninstalling the Aura software, as well as the G.Skill software. then try to reinstall the Aura software and see how that goes.
    Remember after uninstalling software to reboot your system and verify your recycle bin is empty.

Comment

Thank you, the Advanced Uninstaller did the trick!
      I didn't bother reinstall the G.skill software but used Aura for now.
      Asus STRIX Z270F
      i7700k

Comment

naujoks

To get higher than 2133 Mhz on DDR4 Memory sticks you have to overclock the SMBUS for your RAM. The simplest way to do this is to go to your motherboard BIOS and enable XMP.

If this does not work or it says that the previous overclock setting have failed, try clearing your CMOS from a powered-off state or if you do not have a clear CMOS button then remove the battery for 2 mins. Next time you boot it should tell you that the BIOS settings have been reset.

Try enabling XMP again.

Go to advanced options, Overclock Settings, set DRAM timings from Auto to Linked and then advanced DRAM configuration and set the command rate from 2 to 1.

Let me know what your timings are after this or if you have issues. These are the exact steps for my MSI motherboard, yours may vary slightly.

The key to remember is 2133 MHz is the maximum default that DDR4 can run unless your overclock the SMBUS, XMP does this for you.

Good Luck

Comment

Make sure you are looking in the 'Memory' tab of CPU-Z. This tab is all current operating values.

If you are looking at 'Maximum Bandwidth' in the SPD tab, that is just showing you maximum default for DDR4 module. Everything in SPD tab is standard/profile information, not the current operating values of the RAM/system.

Comment

Thank you, sorry to be a noob, I actually wasn't aware that I have to manually overclock the memory for it to run at the right speed. I have an Asus Strix Z270F board, and the memory section in the overclocking BIOS menu is quite overwhelming to start with. I will have to do quite a bit of research on it. It's good to know though that there's no general problem.
            Asus STRIX Z270F
            i7700k

Comment

Working...
            X