Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Trident Z RGB Software BETA] Known Issues (OUTDATED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they cannot condone re-writing the SPD data because they have no control over what people may do in Thaiphoon Burner. Re-writing over corrupted SPD data is not something customers should have to figure out how to do, and not something most people have ever done before. And it's a risky process. I agree it's the only way to get the sticks working again but as far as I know, if you do it, and you tell them (or they can tell somehow), they will void the warranty. Since they are refusing to issue refunds, I am not sure what difference that really makes. Isn't that the whole point of a warranty - that the manufacturer GUARANTEES that the product will work AS ADVERTISED? Well for whatever reason, G.Skill is not honoring the warranty and offering refunds for defective product anyway. That really sucks but since they won't, you might as well risk doing the re-write (after spending $16 to enable that function in Thaiphoon Burner).

If people could send their defective product back for a full refund because it does not work properly, through no fault of the customers, and it's recently purchased and UNDER WARRANTY, then you could just return the kit, get your money back and go get something else. Since G.Skill has chosen to NOT honor their warranty, you are basically up the creek. If you have corrupted sticks, doing an SPD Write is the only way to (try to) fix it.

Comment

Tried that

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      PandaMan,

send your information to techsupport@gskill.com and they can help right away.

Which slots are you using? Have you tried the other slots?

Did you have any other RGB lighting software installed? Test each to see if one can work normally.

MREMTFF,

At this time, only one RGB lighting software can be used or conflicts may occur.

If you must use other RGB software, it may be best to wait for an update.
      To revert back to default rainbow, end all RGB lighting software, swap modules around, and see if the software can recognize the modules.
      Did you even read my post I've tried everything that you've mentioned still not getting any rainbow light nor even let me in the Trident Z software...

Comment

Originally posted by HeroCrusher View Post
        You gotta try and use Taiphoon burner to restore the SPD BRO!

I have no idea why the GSKILL TECHS wont tell people the real fix but my 2 dark sticks are lit back up and fully functional after.

I trouble shot on the forums, even sent in my system stats and GSKILL never was of any help to me.

I swapped sticks like 20 times and even re seated my CPU do to a memory error just to find out from Google that it was corrupt SPD...
        can you elaborate on this thaiphoon burner? did it fix your non lighting modules? one of mine will not power on no matter what i try. i would like to try this option.

Comment

You can download the free version of Thaiphoon Burner and do a CRC check. This will tell you if your DIMMs have corrupted SPD data. If they do, they are not going to work properly, EVER, until the corrupt SPD data is overwritten by doing and SPD Write to the corrupted modules. To do that you need to buy the full version of Thaiphoon Burner ($16), load the proper SPD data profile from the Thaiphoon Burner database, and Write it to the DIMMs. If you have a working module, I think you can read the data from it and then write that same data to the corrupted modules.

I have not done this myself but others on this forum have, with success. There was a link in one of these threads to Whiskey- Fox Trot's page that describes the process in detail. If I run across this link I will post it here, or maybe someone else will. If you try it BE CAREFUL and good luck. If your SPD data gas been corrupted, this is the ONLY WAY to fix it.

Comment

These are the instructions I followed and it worked to correct corrupt SPD.
            https://www.whiskey-foxtrot.com/2017...gb-restore-it/

Comment

i downloaded the freeware to try it and when i have the toggleswitch to OFF in the gskill app and i press the read button in thaiphoon it does give a crc error on one of the modules. but gotta purchase this app to fix it? gskill should have a small little fix that does the same thing as a courtesy download.

Comment

Originally posted by avioni View Post
                i downloaded the freeware to try it and when i have the toggleswitch to OFF in the gskill app and i press the read button in thaiphoon it does give a crc error on one of the modules. but gotta purchase this app to fix it? gskill should have a small little fix that does the same thing as a courtesy download.
                Yes you gotta pay the 16 dollars to acquire the write feature but it's well worth it seeing how I have had to restore the SPD 4 times tell I eventually figured out what programs were conflicting!

The software is worth its weight in gold saving many useless RMA's.

Comment

is this happening to other RGB ram like corsair? or is there no other software controlled rgb ram? what i want to know is gskill working to fix this or are they ignoring the fact there is a design flaw? and is it so hard for a company that makes memory modules to come up with a temporary fix like thaiphoon app.
                  Last edited by avioni; 06-08-2017, 06:45 PM.

Comment

is this happening to other RGB ram like corsair? or is there no other software controlled rgb ram? what i want to know is gskill working to fix this or are they ignoring the fact there is a design flaw? and is it so hard for a company that makes memory modules to come up with a temporary fix like thaiphoon app.
                    You would think GSKILL would come out with a tool to fix Ram modules with errors but nope they are just wasting everyone's time with useless RMA's... One of the biggest blunders I have ever seen in hardware in the last 15 years of building PC's..

and they wont even offer refunds what a slap in the face!

Comment

I don't know too much about Corsair LED RAM other than they do have RGB RAM modules now. Controlled through Corsair Link I think. Link is pretty buggy but at least they had fixed the SMB Bus interlocking problem. But in the last release of Link, the locking semantics are messed up again.

G.Skill decided to hook their wagon to Asus AURA which has never used the proper SMB Bus interlocks properly. AURA and AI Suite have been prime offenders for years. I have heard that now, due to this issue, Asus is FINALLY working on fixing it. CPU-Z, HWINFO, Speed Fan, AIDA, and SIV all use the SMB Bus interlocks so they don't conflict with each other. But since G.Skill and ASUS are not using the interlocks, ANY program that accesses the SMB Bus can cause a conflict which may result is corruption of the SMB data. It's a total mess.

Comment

You would think GSKILL would come out with a tool to fix Ram modules with errors but nope they are just wasting everyone's time with useless RMA's... One of the biggest blunders I have ever seen in hardware in the last 15 years of building PC's..

I don't know why G.Skill will not provide or even condone customers re-writing their SPD data. Voids the warranty (I think) but what's the difference? They are not honoring warranty and issuing refunds to those who have had enough anyway. And yes that REALLY says a lot about G.Skill. It's a shame because they really do have some of the best DDR4 on the market (LED RAM aside). I can't imagine who at G.Skill thinks this is a good business policy. They are losing life long customers in droves. G.Skill - care to comment on this refusal to honor the warranty on brand new defective product? We are all listening...

Comment

i've had such bad luck with my latest build. first i got the acer predator xb321hk. it has some minor but annoying manufacturing defect all the xb321hk have it but acer wont admit to it so we are all stuck with that. and now same story but with this gskill ram. on both cases there are tons of people in forums reporting the issue its so hard to believe we as consumers are not protected against this kind of "fraud" and specially when talking about relatively expensive purchases.

Comment

Whiskey-Foxtrot Thank you for posting the guide to using taiphoon burner. after 2.5 months of merry-go-ram from G.Skill finally get a fix that actually works from a fellow community member. I flashed the SPD, restarted and then installed the G.SKill beta again and works 100% for a few hours until the new Gaming App came out and broke them, now my computer won't even post.

2.5 months ago G.Skill was less aware of compatibility issues with other software and since then have mentioned not to use other programs at the same time, that it would cause crashing and conflicts, but they NEVER said that the DRAM SPD data would be corrupted forever if you do. This is VERY important information that left me without my RAM for over 2 months.
                            Last edited by QuantumsEdge; 06-09-2017, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I've had nothing but trouble with my G.Skill RAM. I was really going to buy Corsair Dominator RAM, but I changed my mind because the RGB ram looks so great. Or, it should if it worked right. Can we hear from some administrators please on whether there will be a patch or fix for this ram issue, or if we're left to our own to figure it out?

Comment

Not lighting issues, but SPD reading issue

Besides the consistent lighting issues G.skill is working to resolve, I noticed the only way that I could get my sticks to work or light up. Was to do a fresh install of Windows, install my normal programs BUT NEVER install the G.Skill app to control the RAM. Yes this means you will be stuck on default rainbow, but since then they have stayed lit the entire time, on my Intel platform even with pushing the system hard for benchmarks sometimes reaching 5.3 Ghz on Intel 7700k.

My issue now is the fact that one of my Mem sticks reads speeds of 1066 instead of XMP 3200, showing PC4 17000 instead of PC4 25600. The system boots, despite most people being unable to boot when this happens, I am even getting similar performance compared to when the stick read normal. This 1 stick out of 4, won't enable XMP, timings arent the same as others, and is running slower. However system seems fine, and modules light up like normal....?.. So I will look into Taiphoon, but wanted to let all of you know this isn't just AMD thats having the issue. And I am willing to share any info requested to help in resolving the issue for all customers.

Asrock Z270 Taichi
                                Intel 7700k
                                32 Gb Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200
                                Aorus 1080 Ti
                                2 x Samsung 960 Evo Raid 0 500 GB total
                                500 GB Samsung 850 Evo 2.5 inch
                                4 Tb Seagate SSHD

Comment

Working...
                                X