Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by G.SKILL View Post
    adamr,

A couple of things. Haswell-E CPUs have lower support for memory speed compared to Broadwell-E, so it's hard to get high RAM frequency if you are clocking it to 4GHz. So our suggestion is to drop the CPU clock about 200MHz, and try the 3000MHz setting on either 100 or 125 strap, but a straight XMP should work.

Usually, the steps go like this: reset BIOS to optimal defaults, turn on XMP and make sure that the memory can work at the intended speed (3000MHz in this case), and then see how high the CPU can clock.

About the DIMMs not lighting up, we're still going through the motherboards one by one, and trying to figure out what's wrong for ones that have issues. Usually it's due to a conflicting software by another company that's interfering with the service operating in the background, so restarting the service should help in most cases. Even with the same motherboard brand, each board is designed slightly different, which needs to be looked at differently when trying to get RGB support.

There are two main types of cases for lighting not operating properly:
    1) DIMM is randomly not controllable, like in your case. This is likely software like CPU-Z or another system spec software is running, and trying to access the memory (like SPD info), causing the Trident Z RGB software to hiccup. In this case, restarting service like the steps you describe helps.
    2) DIMM is stuck on off. This is more likely a major software conflict, where another lighting software was trying to access the RGB on the memory at the same time as the Trident Z RGB software. Usually uninstalling the lighting control software, pressing "Default" in the Trident Z RGB software, wait a minute for the commands to go through, and then a cold boot with power disconnect would fix these type of issues. If none of these work, then we're still gathering more information to figure out what exactly went wrong that causes the sticks to get stuck.

Thanks also for the more detailed specs. It would help.
    Thanks for the reply ... I've actually followed exactly the procedure you've stated. With a bios at optimised defaults (cpu at stock speeds) the system will not post when I choose xmp. Get a 6f (looks like bf) code on the qcode before the system just shuts itself down

Thing to note also is that the corsair vengeance 32gb led kit at basically the same specs would have no issues with xmp and worked fine. That is running 30000mhz at a 125 strap. So the imc controller is able to handle 3000mhz

At present I've left the 2800mhz settings and tightened the timings ... So now at 15-17-17 32 1T.

Hope this additional info can help. Pretty sure a bios update from asus would fix the xmp thing . I am btw running the latest 3504 bios

Regarding the leds ... The trick with restarting the service works a charm. The only software I have running that might interfere with the g.skill software is corsair link (which I need to control my aio cooler)

Comment

• ok happy days

got XMP 3000Mhz to work

Still running my CPU at 4000Mhz at 1.20V, Vcache at 3500 at 1.2V
      The only change i made was to change the "rampage tweak" setting under the dram timings section from "auto" to "mode 1" ... and like that im at xmp

So for now all works for me ... might want to add this for people not getting xmp to work.

Comment

adamr,

A couple of things. Haswell-E CPUs have lower support for memory speed compared to Broadwell-E, so it's hard to get high RAM frequency if you are clocking it to 4GHz. So our suggestion is to drop the CPU clock about 200MHz, and try the 3000MHz setting on either 100 or 125 strap, but a straight XMP should work.

Usually, the steps go like this: reset BIOS to optimal defaults, turn on XMP and make sure that the memory can work at the intended speed (3000MHz in this case), and then see how high the CPU can clock.

About the DIMMs not lighting up, we're still going through the motherboards one by one, and trying to figure out what's wrong for ones that have issues. Usually it's due to a conflicting software by another company that's interfering with the service operating in the background, so restarting the service should help in most cases. Even with the same motherboard brand, each board is designed slightly different, which needs to be looked at differently when trying to get RGB support.

There are two main types of cases for lighting not operating properly:
        1) DIMM is randomly not controllable, like in your case. This is likely software like CPU-Z or another system spec software is running, and trying to access the memory (like SPD info), causing the Trident Z RGB software to hiccup. In this case, restarting service like the steps you describe helps.
        2) DIMM is stuck on off. This is more likely a major software conflict, where another lighting software was trying to access the RGB on the memory at the same time as the Trident Z RGB software. Usually uninstalling the lighting control software, pressing "Default" in the Trident Z RGB software, wait a minute for the commands to go through, and then a cold boot with power disconnect would fix these type of issues. If none of these work, then we're still gathering more information to figure out what exactly went wrong that causes the sticks to get stuck.

Thanks also for the more detailed specs. It would help.
        Yea but what do we do If the software wont even detect the RAM?

I already moved my RAM and finally got them to be detected but now they are back to not detected and dark... It seems once the RAM sticks go dark it doesn't matter what slots I have them in. Besides I cant just move my RAM every time the software has a hiccup... My radiator is in the way and I have to drop the rad every time I move RAM.

HELP!
        Last edited by HeroCrusher; 04-06-2017, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by QuantumsEdge View Post
          X99A MSI Gaming 7, Windows 10-64 bit. The G.skill TridentZ RGB 3000MHZ 15cas 32GB that I have all light up doing the rainbow thing but which ones actually respond to the G.Skill software is random upon each boot.

edit: running the latest BIOS also, H.F0
          Since I posted this no new software from G.Skill has come out and neither has an update for my BIOS so I am not sure what has changed; however, now I can never get the program to launch, even after clean installation and restarting the LED service. It simply goes straight to crash dump.

Comment

• Bios update came out for my MB...ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6.

However it made no difference of course.

Software still cant see my 2 dark sticks.

About to just call it a loss and go with the dark sticks for the long run.

RMA would cause me downtime and very possibly more headaches in the future.

Comment

• Grrr, This is getting to be a real headache.

While still waiting for 2 of my sticks to come back from RMA.. 1 of the 2 I kept here, went dark and is refusing to light back up. I haven't even touched the software, been trying to avoid this crap again..

I'm becoming disgusted.

Comment

• Originally posted by n2nshadow View Post
                Grrr, This is getting to be a real headache.

While still waiting for 2 of my sticks to come back from RMA.. 1 of the 2 I kept here, went dark and is refusing to light back up. I haven't even touched the software, been trying to avoid this crap again..

I'm becoming disgusted.

That's completely disheartening since all we can do is get replacements using the RMA...of course it's too late to return to the store..The only reason I haven't done the RMA is I don't have extra Ram just sitting around to use while the rgb ones get shipped off.

Comment

• Originally posted by MeiBee View Post
                  That's completely disheartening since all we can do is get replacements using the RMA...of course it's too late to return to the store..The only reason I haven't done the RMA is I don't have extra Ram just sitting around to use while the rgb ones get shipped off.
                  I feel your pain...I'm pretty much in the same boat. I built 2 machines a few months ago, for my wife and I. Was able to send just 2 sticks back and keep one stick in each machine while they were out. Since I had to send at least 2. I sent 1 good one and one bad one. Now the ones I kept are acting up.. so frustrating..

Comment

• And yet I'm having no hardware issues only minor software bugs
                    Intel i7 6700K
                    Gigabyte Z270 Ultra Gaming
                    32 GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB 2400
                    Intel m.2 NVMe 256GB
                    (2) 10TB Seagate storage HDDs

Comment

• My RMA'd sticks just showed back up so that's nice Pretty quick turn around time, about 1 1/2 weeks. Still pretty bummed another one is out though.

Comment

• For those of you who have module lighting stuck on off, here's something we've had luck with.

Make sure that you have v1.00.16 beta installed, and that you can open the software. Once you can do that, please try the following set of instructions to reset the lighting to the modules. In some cases, two or three cycles through #1-10 may be needed.
                        1. Open the software, and click on “DEFAULT”. Wait a minute or two for the process to complete.
                        2. Shut down the computer.
                        3. Disconnect the power cord, and wait for 3 minutes. (This is important!)
                        4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the system.
                        5. Open the software and click “On/Off” on the top right corner to turn the modules on and off for two or three cycles. (i.e. Off > On > Off > On > Off > On) Remember to wait a few seconds in between.

If by step 5, the modules are not lighting up, then please do the following:
                        6. Close the software.
                        7. (Win10) Open Task Manager, and go to the Services tab. Then locate “AsLedService” and right click on it to choose “Restart”. (Win7) Go to the “Run…” dialog and type in “services.msc”. A Services window will open and locate “AsLedService” and right click on it to choose “Restart”.
                        8. Wait until the service to stop and start again. It should display “Running”.
                        9. Open the software. This will take a few minutes, and it will give you an error. This is normal.
                        10. Open the software a second time. The software should open properly, and the memory module should return to default lighting.

Also, the link to the v1.00.08 beta version software can be found in the changelog. There's quite a bit of bugs in the 1.00.08 version, so it's not really recommended.

Comment

For those of you who have module lighting stuck on off, here's something we've had luck with.

Make sure that you have v1.00.16 beta installed, and that you can open the software. Once you can do that, please try the following set of instructions to reset the lighting to the modules. In some cases, two or three cycles through #1-10 may be needed.
                          1. Open the software, and click on “DEFAULT”. Wait a minute or two for the process to complete.
                          5. Open the software and click “On/Off” on the top right corner to turn the modules on and off for two or three cycles. (i.e. Off > On > Off > On > Off > On) Remember to wait a few seconds in between.

6. Close the software.
                          7. (Win10) Open Task Manager, and go to the Services tab. Then locate “AsLedService” and right click on it to choose “Restart”. (Win7) Go to the “Run…” dialog and type in “services.msc”. A Services window will open and locate “AsLedService” and right click on it to choose “Restart”.
                          9. Open the software. This will take a few minutes, and it will give you an error. This is normal.
                          10. Open the software a second time. The software should open properly, and the memory module should return to default lighting.

Also, the link to the v1.00.08 beta version software can be found in the changelog. There's quite a bit of bugs in the 1.00.08 version, so it's not really recommended.
                          I've tried this twice now, still no luck. One module is able to be turned on but not controlled and the other remains off. I don't have any more time to keep repeating this process today, but I'll see if it helps when I get a chance to play around with it more tomorrow. The first time I went through the process the software did not open correctly the second time after restarting the service, it just continued to crash. Thanks for another option to try though, it's always appreciated to know that there is still work that is going on to try to solve this problem.

Relevant specs:
                          Ryzen 7 1700
                          ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac on latest BIOS (2.0)
                          16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 Model F4-3000C16D-16GTZR

Comment

For those of you who have module lighting stuck on off, here's something we've had luck with.

6. Close the software.

I tried it many times but it does not work at all.

MSI Z270 GAMING M7 (New bios 1.30)
                            GSKILL TRIDENT Z RGB 3600MHZ 2X8 16GB CL16
                            Last edited by alito; 04-13-2017, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Alito,

Is one module stuck in "Off" or both modules? And are you using the MSI lighting software or the MSI command center at the same time?

Comment

Alito,

Is one module stuck in "Off" or both modules? And are you using the MSI lighting software or the MSI command center at the same time?
                                Only one module is lighted. I tried it when MSI led service was off.

Comment

Working...
                                X