Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX bad?

Hello,

I have G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX DDR4 memory on an ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 1800X CPU.

I have stability issues with my PC crashing at least once daily with Windows 10 Pro BSOD with the error message stopcode MEMORY MANAGEMENT.

I've updated to the latest Crosshair VI Extreme BIOS (7003), loaded Stilts Safe 3200MHz Settings leaving the CPU non-OCed and have run AIDA64 System Stability Test with only "Stress System Memory" turned on.

After very few minutes the SST goes red with the error message "Warning: Hardware Failure Detected! Test Stopped".

Does this imply bad memory sticks? Shall I RMA?

Check if the modules are in the right DIMM slots. If that is the case, test them one by one with MemTest86, otherwise swap them to A2+B2 like it is recommended in the user manual.

If both modules pass MemTest86 at default settings, you can try to stabilize the XMP with a sleight increase in Vdimm and via adjusting Vsoc.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Test one module at a time to see if one performs differently than the other. Each should be capable of DDR4-3200 or 2933 with DOCP enabled. If not, of course both modules installed will not work. These results will give us a better idea of what may be going on.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        Test one module at a time to see if one performs differently than the other. Each should be capable of DDR4-3200 or 2933 with DOCP enabled. If not, of course both modules installed will not work. These results will give us a better idea of what may be going on.
        I've set up DOCP Standard and tested both modules together in slots A2/B2 and separately in slot A2 with AIDA64 SST (stress system memory only).

While testing both modules AIDA goes red again with the same error message after only 4minutes.

Testing the first module went without errors until I've stopped the test after 30 minutes.

Testing the second module went also well for a long time until at the 28th minute my windows froze (not completely, youtube music was still playing but the interface was unresponsive).

P.S. During my previous tests the modules were correctly inserted into A2/B2.

P.P.S. I did not try MemTest86 but few weeks ago windows memory diagnostics ran for several hours without errors.

Comment

I've repeatedly tested the second module and the testing went without errors until I've stopped the test after 2 hours.

Could slot B2 be the culprit?

Comment

I repeated the whole testing in slot B2.

Testing the first module went without errors until I've stopped the test after 1 hour 40 minutes.

Testing the second module it went red after only 11 minutes (Warning: Hardware Failure Detected! Test Stopped").

So it seems that the problem manifests mainly with the combination of second module in slot B2.

Therefore I have tested both modules again but this time swapped them around.

First test went red after 59 minutes.

The second and third test I've done with cache, CPU and FPU testing also turned on.

Second test went red after 16 minutes and third test went red after 45 minutes.

These results are much better than before I shall see in the next days if system and application crashes are less frequent now.

But how shall I proceed to further stabilize my memory if possible?

Comment

Can you send screenshot of CPUz memory tab or provide that info?

Are you attempting DDR4-3200 during all these tests? If so, boosting DRAM Voltage and/or SoC Voltage may improve stability. You can also try a lower frequency such as DDR4-2933 to see if the system can be more stable. We need to determine whether instability is due to settings or the DRAM itself.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPUZ-2019-07-05.png
Views:	176
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	162505

Yes DDR4-3200 was my target during all tests.

Today my system was absolutely stable during normal usage. But I did not OC my CPU yet so I expect stability to get worse when I do.

How many minutes of AIDA64 SST should be my minimum target. Or do you recommend some other/better stability test?

I am just a bit worried about the second test going red after just 16 minutes.

We need to determine whether instability is due to settings or the DRAM itself.
                How shall we discriminate between those two?

Comment

Unfortunately, today during normal usage my PC crashed again (BSOD with the error message stopcode MEMORY MANAGEMENT).

Comment

From now on, until explicitly declared otherwise, all AIDA64 System Stability Tests will be performed with CPU, FPU, Cache and System Memory Stress testing turned on.

AIDA64 SST with memory downclocked to 2933 MHz ran without errors until stopped after 2 hours.

Comment

Memory back at 3200MHz, vdimm set to 1,4V, vsoc set to 1,2V SST ran for 2 hours without any problems.

Comment

Tried Stilts 3333MHz profiles (both safe and fast) but they immediately either froze or went red.

Stilts 3200MHz Fast profile ran without errors until I've terminated it after 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Comment

I've got a new problem and I am not sure whether it could be memory related. Before I've installed the latest BIOS I've had my CPU OCed with a 39,25x multiplier @ 1,3875V. But now with the new BIOS after I have set up my memory my PC immediately reboots when I run AIDA64 SST with any multiplier higher than 36x even @ 1,45V.

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                          X