Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot boot F4-3200C14D-16GTZ on Aorus 7 on anything but default settings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot boot F4-3200C14D-16GTZ on Aorus 7 on anything but default settings.

So, I have an Gaming Aorus 7 Z370 with a i7 8700k(Seasonic Gold 650W, GTX 970 for now) and these G.Skill memory sticks: https://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gtz

Rated 3200Mhz 14-14-14-34 1.35v made Nov 2017 according to what's printed on the sticks. All components except the older GPU and SATA SSD's were bought in December last year.

I have the last BIOS F7 for the Gaming Aorus 7(had everything from December to today updated).

Problem is whenever I want to cold boot the PC after setting the XMP/manual 3200Mhz it doesn't work in any way.

Tried various manual: 3200Mhz 15-15-15-36, 16-18-18-38 etc. And 3000Mhz, 2933Mhz all with 1.35v etc. Just doesn't seem to work in anyway except for default when cold booting: the system goes on for 3-4 seconds, resets and loops like this infinitely until I switch off the PSU, leave it off for 15s, then it boots into default. Mobo RGB don't lit up, only fans go on and that's all.

This has been bugging me for a few months and can't seem to find a solution given I've waited for more BIOS updates, it's pretty clear it just doesn't work.

Of course, I can always set the XMP in the BIOS, reboot and use it like this, but always have to remember to reset to default by the time I want to shut down. No BSOD's or something, works fine apparently (even with the 8700k set at 4,7Ghz - all 6 cores) and it passed memtest with no errors too from the first days (Both on default and 3200Mhz XMP ON), just doesn't when I cold boot.

Is there a solution to get it posting except for what I did?
    Last edited by PaulFCB; 09-11-2018, 09:13 AM.

Which slots do you have the RAM installed in? Did you input any DRAM boot up values? Try one module at a time to see if a stick performs differently than the other.

If nothing seems to help, send them in for RMA exchange to see if a new kit works better:

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Comment

Hi.

The second and fourth slots from the CPU are used. That is DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 on the Motherboard Manual, page 17.

I've set DRAM Boot Values to 1.3500v manually (though it does show 1.35v when left on auto XMP).
      I've also tried to set termination to 1.3500v and no difference from auto.

I've set timing manual and manual advanced to 14-14-14-34 and others.
      Also tried to set System Agent Voltage - VCCSA manually to higher and still no difference.

Always the same thing happens: only 1 red light on the motherboard and the cooler lights for a few seconds then off and on again to do the same thing. Switch the PSU off for a few seconds until power runs out on the ON/OFF button on the mobo and then boot again into "BIOS was reset to default...".

This has been the story from December last year as I've waited for new BIOS version thinking that maybe it's a fix but it seems not.

Comment

Tried all available options.

Different slots when using both ( 1_3 and 2_4 )
        1 dimm at a time.

Only thing that can boot is -> 2400Mhz CL14, at anything more it doesn't boot no matter what the timing or voltage (1.2 or 1.35 ) anything over is dead on cold boot.

Comment

Working...
        X