Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16GB + 8GB GSkill RipJaws V on ASUS Strix Z270F?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16GB + 8GB GSkill RipJaws V on ASUS Strix Z270F?

MB Spec:
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...pecifications/
    Maximum can fit 4x DIMM.

Currently installed:
    2x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 2800mhz (total 16GB)
    Model: F4-2800C15D-16GVRB
    https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c15d-16gvrb

Only 2 slots left but I need more RAM, at least 24GB...32GB is wasteful, so I am considering adding:
    2x 4GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 2800mhz (total 8GB)
    Model: F4-2800C15D-8GVRB
    https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c15d-8gvrb
    It's the same series, same model, same speed latency voltage, just 2x4GB instead of 2x8GB.

Has anyone tried mixing these (preferably on same MB)? Any stability/performance issue?
    If not, how high is the chances that they can work well together?

Please advise, thank you.

There is never any guarantee when mixing two separate kits of RAM. Only through actual testing can we determine compatibility, so you would need to test and see what the two kits you get in hand can do.

Comment

Thank you. Couple of questions then:

1) By testing, do you mean by running MemTest86, or does GSklll has other preferred testing tool?
      2) Is there any standard procedure/guide recommended for running such tests?

Comment

Since they are separate kits, you would need to iinput settings to see which values can work. The rated specs are no longer guaranteed so you need to test and see what values they can achieve together in the system.

I suggest inputting the DRAM Frequency, timings, and Voltage as stated on the RAM, then manually lower DRAM Frequency until the system can boot, then you can fine tune settings from that point.

Comment

Okay, I am trying to weight the "risk to reward ratio" now, if it's worth to risk purchasing:

Can I assume that:
          Worst case, they can work well and stable together, just lower performance? (I know there may be extremes, but just for estimating) Usually how much lower?

Comment

They are different capacity, so there is possibility they can not run together at all.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
              They are different capacity, so there is possibility they can not run together at all.
              So, instead of that smaller capacity one, if I buy the same capacity same model, then worst case they can work well and stable together, just lower performance?

Comment

There is no guarantee but chances are improved when using the same exact model since it is probable same or similar chips are used.

Comment

Working...
                X