F4-3600C15D-16GTZ on Maximus X Apex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F4-3600C15D-16GTZ on Maximus X Apex

I purchased some time ago a F4-3600C15D-16GTZ kit, it was manufactured in March 2018.
    I paired it with a Maximus X Apex motherboard (which is supposed to be RAM-oriented) and a i7-8700K processor.
    I tried really hard to make that kit work at 3600MHz with 15-15-15-35 latencies, but no success, in some games I had from time to time crashes and memtest (v7.5, ran as bootable CD) showed lots of errors in Tests 7, and 9, especially 8.
    Tried a lot of tweaking, XMP, manual, bumped VCORE and even VRAM a bit. I also tuned the VCCIO and VCSSA voltages (default VCCIO 1.22V, VCSSA 1.28V), made them lower (1.20V and 1.25V) or higher (1.30V and 1.35V).

I also tried these settings

VCCIO 1.25/1.15 | 1.25 | 1.15 | 0.95 | ! 1.20 | ! 1.064 |
    VCCSA 1.30/1.20 | 1.32 | 1.20 | 1.05 | ! 1.25 | ! 1.128 |

I even flashed again the bios (of course the latest one, 1602), removed the battery, reinserted the RAM and even the processor.
    I also performed the tests on ANOTHER computer, with a different Maximus X Apex motherboard and different processor, 8086K. No success in having no errors in memtest, so again, total failure.

Contacted the store, they asked me to send the memories to make some tests as well and they sent me back another kit, this time manufactured in July 2018.

Unfortunately, the story repeated AGAIN, after nights of testing and tweaking cannot run them at the 15-15-15-35 latencies. Even 15-16-16-36 was unsuccessful. If I set them on 16-16-16-36, everything is flawless, no errors and crashes whatsoever, but this is NOTwhat I payed for! Those timings correspond to another kit, cheaper and with lower performance.

I also noted that lots of people are struggling lately to run this kit at those latencies, example here:
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/i...p/t-93973.html
    Even on newegg and amazon or other stores I see people struggling with it.
    Is it possible that binning for this kit is not anymore carefully done as in the past? Bad quality lately?

Any other suggestions, tips or additional tweaking are welcome.

I run two kits of that memory on a Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 7 WiFi. They require at least 1.35v VDIMM for the RAM to be stable. In some cases, a little more. Is your RAM Samsung B-Die or Hynix?
    Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 360
    Asus Crosshair VI Hero
    32GB (4X8) F4-3600C15D-16GTZ - G.Skill took too long getting their act together with their RGB RAM!
    2X Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
    Samsung EVO 960 500GB
    3X Seagate 3TB SATA3/7,200RPM
    LG 16X Blu-Ray/DVD Writer
    SilverStone Strider 1200 Watt
    Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered

Comment

This model is only B-die.
      I tried VRAM from 1.35V up to 1.40 V.

Comment

Originally posted by kvarq View Post
        This model is only B-die.
        I tried VRAM from 1.35V up to 1.40 V.
        G. Skill uses Samsung and Hynix chips. Your kit could use one or the other. When I had issues with one of my original kits, that was one of the first things I was asked by support when running two kits of it in the same board. Verifying through Thaiphoon Burner that both of my kits are Samsung B-Die was easy enough.

One thing most overlook with this kit is that you need to run 2T if you are going for 3,600MHz. Thaiphoon Burner will also tell you all of the sub-timings for your RAM that are normally left at auto. Verifying your board is setting those timings correctly and not too tight can also make a big difference in stability.
        Work-in-progress

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
        Arctic Cooling Freezer 360
        Asus Crosshair VI Hero
        32GB (4X8) F4-3600C15D-16GTZ - G.Skill took too long getting their act together with their RGB RAM!
        2X Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
        Samsung EVO 960 500GB
        3X Seagate 3TB SATA3/7,200RPM
        LG 16X Blu-Ray/DVD Writer
        SilverStone Strider 1200 Watt
        Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered

Comment

my kit was with Samsung chips
          I do not think for this particular kit they are using Hynix
          after I sent the second kit to the shop, they were expecting the third kit for replacement, but for some reason they were exceeding the two legal weeks for a solution, so they were forced to give my money back, so I bought the 3000MHz CL15-16-16-35 kit; that one is a super rock solid at its standard XMP, I stressed it for good hours in memtest, for tests 7-9 only, 10-12 passes or so – I am happy with that, no more headaches J

but indeed, it happens for some kit models to switch from Samsung to Hynix, for instance I expected for my new F4-3000C15D-16GTZB to have Samsung E-die, like shown here, http://i.imgur.com/2ACzjYh.png

but I got ones with Hynix chips, MFR, M-die, like most of the Corsair crap kits :P

by the way, this is a good reference
          https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...bo&sh=4201bcbd
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X