Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I mix AMD-optimised Trident set with non-AMD-optimised set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I mix AMD-optimised Trident set with non-AMD-optimised set?

Hi there,

I have an MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon AM4 motherboard, runnning a Ryzen 7-2700X processor and a G.Skill Trident F4-3200C16D-16GTZR set (2 x 8G).

I want to expand to 32G of RAM, so was planning to add another F4-3200C16D-16GTZR set, until I found that there is a F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX set which is "AMD optimised".

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I run a F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX with F4-3200C16D-16GTZR, or will it cause problems?
    2. What is the difference between the two versions? And please don't just say "One is optimised for AMD" - I can see that for myself. What I'm after is the technical differences between the two sets, which may help to explain whether they can run together.

So far I've had no issues with running the non-AMD-optimised set on its own. It is set for 3200MHz in the BIOS.

Thanks!

Pete

They can be the same exact model and you will still need to test and see how well they can work together. Any RAM not out of a single kit has not been tested from factory so we are unable to make any guarantees. RAM is not a mass produced product that we can simply say as long as they are the same model they can just work together at full speed. It is less of a concern for lower frequency such as DDR4-2133, but much more sensitive the higher you go.

Comment

Thanks. I'll take that as a "no" then.

Can someone please answer my second question, i.e. what is the difference between the two types? The specs on the G.Skill product page seem to be the same for each type (GTZR vs GTZRX).

Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X