Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

32GB @3200MHz or 64gb @2933MHz on Asus Zenith?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32GB @3200MHz or 64gb @2933MHz on Asus Zenith?

Hello all

I just ordered a Asus ROG Zenith Extreme MB and am trying to figure out which memory to buy that is amongst its approved lists by whoever, and at least for the brand I am pretty set on going with G.Skill and preferably the Flare X line as I don't need any light stuff.

All in all if I could have my way I would love to load up all its banks with 128GB of 3200MHz -14CL memory and be done with it, but for anything like that in the speeds/specs of that amount if someone even does make it I don't think any are approved for this board as far as I know, but even if there was I am sure could never even remotely afford it.

So sadly I think for now I am stuck with either 32GB of the F4-3200C14Q-32GFX kit which is listed to be able to run on this board @ 3200MHz, or the 64GB of the F4-2933C14Q-64GFX kit which is listed to run at a lower speed of 2933MHz.

So was just wondering about anyone's thoughts as to which will perform better?

In other words, will I do better with less Gigs of RAM that run at a little higher speed, or with twice the amount of physical RAM at a little bit slower speed?

Note, without making a long list of the whys, I am pretty sure a lot of what I will be doing with this machine will be looking to use its memory well, but again is hard to know if it running a bit faster with less would be better, or the more at a little slower would.

Also to note if its of any relevance, will be running a air cooled Threadripper 1950X for the processor, a Samsung 960 PRO M.2 512GB for the main OS drive and Windows 10 Pro for the OS all in a Corsair 750D Air case and for the most part I am hoping to do as mim OC of all things as I might need to.

Thanks for any help.

It basically comes down to: Do you need more than 32GB memory?

If you do, 64GB is faster than running into memory swapping scenarios with 32GB. Otherweise higher frequency memory with comparable timings is faster overall (and 8GB modules tend to overclock a bit better).
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Hello emissary42 and thanks for the reply.

Trust me I am no expert on much of what I am going to say, but while its hard to know how much I would need...for how I use my current machine I end up running many programs at the same time and ones that are not Mem friendly as they leak a lot but regardless I have to use them.

So currently with my 16gb unit, it may vary but typically with in 15 to 30 mins depending on how many are up, my machine slowly begins to bog down to a point its almost unusable and the only way to fix this is to save where everything is, shut them all down, run cCleaner, then start them all up again.

I would suspect greatly that as my current machine while at the time I built it is was a very high end one, being that it is about 15 years old has a lot to do with that too, but was just looking to do all I can as if I am going to spend this kind of money again I just want to give it as much as I can on all fronts and not essentially "build in a choke point" that makes everything else done and spent pointless an all not just for now, but so it can be one that lasts me another 15 years.

Thanks.
      Last edited by RyanRC; 07-20-2018, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X