Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX

Hello,

I've just purchased F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX.

I've got information that these modules provide AMD Ryzen optimized Samsung B-die chips - Is that correct?

I want to run the memory at least at its specified parameters: 3200MHz, 14-14-14-34-1T, 1,35V.

I've got an ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme board with a Ryzen 1800X processor.

I've tried to use AI overclock tuner in the BIOS and select D.O.C.P. Standard and I've also tried to manualy input memory settings (14-14-14-34-1T, 3200MHz, 1,35V).

My computer either boots up with JEDEC #6 values at 1066MHz memory clock or freezes and reboots within few minutes after booting up Windows 10 Pro.

This also happens at lower frequencies (3066, 2933).

Is my RAM defective?

I was using Corsair CMU16GX4M2C3200C16R successfully at 3066MHz but returned it to try your memory that claims to work at 3200MHz with Ryzen. But for me it is not even working at 2933MHz ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have returned the memory kit as it was IMHO faulty. Received a new one today and although not perfect it behaves much more reasonably.

I was able to set AI Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P. Standard (3200MHz, 1,35V, 14-14-14-34).

AIDA64 Business Cache and Memory Benchmark passed without any problems.

But when I ran System Stability Test I've got a "Hardware failure detected! Test Stopped." message after few minutes and few minutes later the system froze and rebooted.

So I've tried to set the timings manualy leaving D.O.C.P. at default.

14-14-14-34-2T, 1,35V, 3200MHz: Unfortunately the board does not boot with 3200MHz for some reason - after boot JEDEC #6 values are effective as shown with CPU-Z

14-14-14-34-2T, 1,35V, 3066MHz Cache and Memory Benchmark passed without any problems. I've run System Stability Test for almost 10 minutes but then I've got a "Hardware failure detected!. Test Stopped." message .Few minutes later the system froze and rebooted.

14-14-14-34-2T, 1,35V, 2933MHz: Cache and Memory Benchmark passed without any problems. I've run System Stability Test for 19 minutes without any issues.

I've performed more tests a bit later:

14-14-14-34-2T, 1,35V, 2933MHz: Tried to reproduce the 19 minute System Stability Test run several times but unfortunately the system either freezes and reboots or I get a "Hardware failure detected! Test stopped." message few minutes after the start.

14-14-14-34-2T, 1,35V, 2800MHz: Cache and Memory Benchmark passed without any problems. I've run System Stability Test for 2 hours and 3 minutes without any issues but then I got a "Hardware failure detected! Test stopped." message.

Can you please give me advice on how to configure the system for better stability and performance?

I bought the most expensive and powerful AM4 components (motherboard, CPU, memory kit) so I hope there is a way to run them at 3200MHz which they all AFAIK specify to support.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dusank; 12-20-2017, 09:11 AM.

Updated BIOS to 3008.

Tried memory preset "Stilts SAFE 3200MHz, 1,4V". The computer boots up but freezes/restarts after few minutes so no tests could be conducted.

14-14-14-34-2T, 1,35V, 3200MHz: Boots up but freezes/restarts

14-14-14-34-2T, 1,35V, 3066MHz: Cache and Memory Benchmark passed without any problems. 57 seconds after running System Stability Test I've got a "Hardware failure detected!. Test Stopped." message.

14-14-14-34-2T, 1,35V, 2933MHz: Cache and Memory Benchmark passed without any problems. 34 seconds after running System Stability Test I've got a "Hardware failure detected!. Test Stopped." message.

14-14-14-34-2T, 1,35V, 2800MHz: Cache and Memory Benchmark passed without any problems. 2 minutes and 19 seconds after running System Stability Test the system froze. Second run is at 13 minutes and still going...

Comment

Cannot ProcODT be used to stabilize memory?

Comment

Hi dusank,

Can you let us know if you've changed CPU settings in any way? If so, which settings?

Also, can you PM me the serial numbers on the modules? It should be located below the bar code on each module.

14-14-14-34-2T, 1,35V, 3200MHz should be the correct settings for this kit. Can we also ask which slots you installed the memory modules? For example, [CPU][A][B][C][D], do you have it installed in AC or BD?

We'll see if there are further troubleshooting steps we can take. Thanks.

Comment

I did not OC. I did not change any other settings than those specified in my posts.

I've installed the modules in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 as the manual recommends.

According to your nomenclature that would be the case of BD.

I will send the serial numbers ASAP.

Comment

14-14-14-34-2T, 1,35V, 2800MHz: Cache and Memory Benchmark passed without any problems. 2 minutes and 19 seconds after running System Stability Test the system froze. I've stopped second run at 17 hours and 20 minutes. No issues.
            Last edited by dusank; 12-21-2017, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Are there further troubleshooting steps we can take?

Is it possible that the IMC of my CPU is faulty?
              Last edited by dusank; 12-21-2017, 07:40 AM.

Comment

With the help of the users of the ASUS ROG forums I was able to configure the board to run my memory at 3066MHz stable:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post693687

Unfortunately the board does not boot at 3200MHz.

Do you have any suggestions on what to try to make it run at 3200MHz?

Comment

G.Skill doesn't list that motherboard on their QVL at all. Maybe ASUS lists that ram on their QVL? I've found motherboard QVL for higher speed memory to be inaccurate at this time for AMD boards though.

If it's not on either QVL and you want to run XMP you might consider eBaying that motherboard and buying one on G.Skill's QVL.

I have that kit on my AMD Threadripper Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7 mobo and it's the first kit I have zero issues with. It's on G.Skill's QVL, not Gigabyte's.

Comment

It is the most expensive and powerful motherboard for AM4 CPUs. Why would I want to sell it, it is great. If there is some incompatibility then I am sure a BIOS update will solve it. Anyway I was able to configure it to run my memory stable at 3066MHz with tight timings. The performance is great.

Comment

After reading through your settings, if the CPU isn't overclocked, you've got the latest BIOS, and you've got the memory installed the correct slots... then it likely at this point that it might just be the rare case of a weak IMC. Although after reading through your posts at the ASUS forum, you might either want to double check your PSU or your motherboard power settings. It might be a random setting that you changed along the way, or a minor power connection that isn't stable.

So perhaps start with checking the power connections between the PSU and the motherboard, and then try resetting all the BIOS settings to defaults, and configure it from scratch to your last known good settings.

Comment

I've checked the connections between PSU and motherboard. All 3 cables are tightly attached.

I have configured BIOS from scratch many times (did many BIOS flashbacks and CMOS resets).

Can you please list the motherboard power settings on your mind that I should check?

As I was running AIDA64 System Stability test with my settings for over 10 hours without issues at 3066MHz I thought that I have solved all issues and a BIOS update would make 3200 MHz accessible.

But then I started getting problems with bootability: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-16GTZRX-(BUG)

Yesterday I've tried to OC the CPU a bit. I was able to stably run it at 3700 even 3800 MHz for hours (AIDA64 stability/stress test). But then suddenly my PC started rebooting without having made any changes in BIOS. I removed CPU OC settings but it did not help. I realized that now I have stability problems with running memory again. My PC freezes or reboots, sometimes in BIOS sometimes in Windows login screen, sometimes I am able to run AIDA64 stability test for a few minutes before it happens. These problems happen with the same settings that worked before (enabled me to run stably for tens of hours) at all frequencies above 2133MHz!

=> With the same settings at the same frequencies it sometimes does not even boot up, sometimes when it does it freezes and sometimes it works for tens of hours under stress testing. Thus my hardware behaves inconsistently!

What do you think is most likely the culprit - what should I RMA - the motherboard, the CPU (IMC) or the RAM?
                        Last edited by dusank; 12-25-2017, 12:48 AM.

Comment

AIDA64 System Stability Test after 1 hour @ 2133MHz: "Warning: Hardware failure detected! Test stopped"

Comment

Left the PC running at 2133MHz for a day. Did not make any BIOS settings changes.

Tried 3066MHz, it booted and runs AIDA64 System Stability Test successfully for 12 hours already.

My PC runs nondeterministically - some component is giving it up occassionally but then resurrects again.
                            Last edited by dusank; 12-25-2017, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dusank View Post
                              It is the most expensive and powerful motherboard for AM4 CPUs. Why would I want to sell it, it is great. If there is some incompatibility then I am sure a BIOS update will solve it. Anyway I was able to configure it to run my memory stable at 3066MHz with tight timings. The performance is great.
                              I have this same board and also the same memory kit which ran fine on the base C6H (not the extreme or wifi). When the Extreme was released it also ran fine up to BIOS 1701. Their 3008 BIOS is absolutely horrible and I get all sorts of inconsistencies with this (and other brands of memory). Memory that ran stable before, now can't pass basic tests in Windows.

I'd give Asus some more time - for now I'm sticking with 1701 - at least I can boot up at 3200MHz and things are stable.

If you want to stick with 3008, do not use the Stilt settings - instead go with the default memory frequency (3200MHz) and let the BIOS do the rest. I also OC the CPU, but via p-states - using the other auto OC settings never worked for me and I'd rather have p-states anyway.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X