Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hang when setting memory (GSKILL F4-3000C15Q2-32GRBB) using XMP on MSI X99S Gaming 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hang when setting memory (GSKILL F4-3000C15Q2-32GRBB) using XMP on MSI X99S Gaming 9

Hi
    I'm experiencing some problem when using MSI X99S Gaming 9 ACK motherboard and 4096MBX8 memory modules of GSKILL F4-3000C15Q2-32GRBB (DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 -- CL 15-16-16-35 1.35v)

I've been in contact with MSI support and they are going to repro my tests - meanwhile I thought perhaps you can give me some advice.

I experienced some problems when enabling XMP in MSI MB bios to reach 3000MHz.
    First: I enabled XMP in BIOS and started 64bit Win 8.1 Pro. As soon as it ends loading it, it restarted itself.
    Then, inserting a USB key it started rebooing endlessly and now, if XMP is enabled, Win8.1 asks to be restored. Obviously, this is a no-sense message because as soon as I disable XMP the system restarts and works without any problem.

Therefore, I cleared cmos, leave the latest bios available installed in the MB an I started a thoroughly memory check: first using Win 8.1 memory check tool. Then, I made a deep test using MEMTEST tool. No problems were detected by both tools. Reading some similar problematic found in this forum, I run memory @ 2666MHz to see if the DIMMs would have caused any problem.
    At that speed I didn't encounter any problem, anyway.
    But it does not mean anything as their SPD speed are 2133MHz.
    Setting them to 2133, I didn't have any problem, too.
    But when enabling 3000MHz through XMP the already reported problems happens again. I'm currently using bios v.2.4.

So I made some other few tests, suggested by MSI, loading less modules and then increasing the number of them.

Test A. I tested 2modules (Dimm1 & Dimm5) in Dual-Channel mode (as by MB manual, pag.EN-15) with XMP enabled and set to 3000MHz (even if the BIOS stated 3001 for some strange reason). In this configuration Win 8.1 starts regularly. So I made some tests with OCCT 4.4.1 and HeavyLoad, performing also some other tests (copying files, usb key inserting and so on). Results: I didn't experience any problem.

Test B. I added 2 modules (so configuration now is Dimm 1 & Dimm 3, Dimm 5 & Dimm 7) in Quad-Channel mode with XMP enabled as the previous step. Win 8.1 started regularly. Then I run tests as in previous step and everything went fine.

Test C. I added 2 other modules as by MB manual (pag.EN-16), still in Quad-Channel mode (this time the memory banks occupied are 6, then: Dimm1,2,3 & Dimm5,6,7). Win 8.1 started regularly, but OCCT made my computer restart without any error flagged. Second time computer froze. Tests with HeavyLoad causes same problem: computer froze. Strange thing is that starting Win 8.1 again no errors were reported and it starts regularly.

Test D. I made another test: I left the 6 modules in previous DIMM configuration but this time XMP was DISABLED and Ram frequency was set to 2666MHz. Then I made same tests with OCCT and HeavyLoad and no problem arose. Everything went fine. As I know memory module are not corrupted due to previous tests I made, I'm wandering what is happening in here.
    For the moment I set speed ro 2133 with Auto option.

Thanks, jj702

What CPU are you using? Sounds like some voltage is lacking for DDR4-3000. Did you try to increase CPU VCore, DRAM Voltage or System Agent?

Comment

I forgot to tell you: my cpu is an i7 5960x. I'm not able to perform changes on CPU VCore, DRAM Voltage or System Agent as I didn't perform anything of these changes before (I know these are settings on bios I can change). So I would like to know if you can suggest me any guidelines for a step-by-step procedure (I know every cpu may have little variations in settings so I'm not asking for precise values in here). I thought that after bout 8 months of X99 MBs these values were set in stone and bios updated in order to use every DDR4 existing on earth - so I thought that enabling XMP the system could be able to change those values itself without human assistance I was wrong

Thanks for your patience.

Comment

Can you post pics of BIOS?

Comment

I'm going to upload them now. Hope they met your request.
          Last edited by jj702; 06-04-2015, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Hi,
            I posted the images in this site - hope I did it well.

Comment

And here are the other ones - the latest two are referred when I'm trying to enable XMP - the 8 DIMM Memory specs are all similar so I've posted one image for them

Last edited by jj702; 06-04-2015, 10:22 PM.

Comment

With XMP enabled, manually input all the values as shown in the XMP information page, then see how that works.

Comment

Bios won't let me change the values nor set the speed to 3000MHz when not enabling XMP.

Comment

Maybe hard reset BIOS and try again. Otherwise, you may need to boost BCLK to 125, this is another method, but it should not be necessary with the latest BIOS version.

Comment

Working...
                    X