F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR + ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 + Intel i7-2600K Bios Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR + ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 + Intel i7-2600K Bios Settings

Ever since I built my PC, I've been having random hard lock ups (mainly while playing a game/editing video, but sometimes when I'm not even doing anything). Ruled out the board being an issue since I bought a new one (same board) and have the same issue. Started playing around with the settings in the bios, and now I'm able to use the PC a bit longer before it eventually locks up. This leads me to believe that I just need the right settings to get things running stable. Here are a few pics of where things are currently at:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ecomog; 10-24-2013, 10:28 PM.

First thing that comes to mind is from that first screen, AI tuner change it to xmp and that will make things go much faster. You bought some pretty high performance ram then ran it very slowly all its life. See if that helps anything to start with. Additionally, do you have to stock cpu cooler? Seems a shame to have bought an unlocked cpu and not oc it some... and a couple of last suggestions things to try.... update the bios on your motherboard, can always help, and update your video card drivers, hard locks while gaiming could be caused by it as well.... you spent a lot ov extra money on top of the line parts on this computer and ran them at stock.... could have saved a decent chunk of change
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Originally posted by supahos View Post
      First thing that comes to mind is from that first screen, AI tuner change it to xmp and that will make things go much faster. You bought some pretty high performance ram then ran it very slowly all its life. See if that helps anything to start with. Additionally, do you have to stock cpu cooler? Seems a shame to have bought an unlocked cpu and not oc it some... and a couple of last suggestions things to try.... update the bios on your motherboard, can always help, and update your video card drivers, hard locks while gaiming could be caused by it as well.... you spent a lot ov extra money on top of the line parts on this computer and ran them at stock.... could have saved a decent chunk of change
      I've only recently started running the RAM this slow. I've tried a lot of different configurations which is what leads me to believe that I just need the exact numbers to get things working correctly. I've tried both XMP profiles, the bios are up to date (as are the video card drivers).

As far as a CPU cooler, I'm using the ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED

Comment

My best reccomendation would be enable xmp, run them at 1.65V (dram voltage) and bump VCCIO a couple of notches and see if that fixes things. If thats stable you can try walking the Dram voltage down some. Was it stable at XMP settings ever? you could have a stick going bad, however if it was always unstable then maybe the bumps will fix things.
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

My best reccomendation would be enable xmp, run them at 1.65V (dram voltage) and bump VCCIO a couple of notches and see if that fixes things. If thats stable you can try walking the Dram voltage down some. Was it stable at XMP settings ever? you could have a stick going bad, however if it was always unstable then maybe the bumps will fix things.
          Things have always been unstable unfortunately. The only change is the more I lowered the ram, the longer I was able to use it before it locked up. Back when I thought the ram was the issue, I bought different ones, and had the same issue.

I've enabled XMP, and set everything except the VCCIO and dram voltage back to auto:

I've been gradually bumping it up everytime I get a freeze, so this is where it's currently at. What should the other settings be set to?

Comment

Oh please turn down that vccio back to the stock value from that picture i meant bump it a couple of notches once maybe twice not everytime your froze... if you havent cooked anything already take the vccio back down. If everything is still okay run memtest on each stick by itself, and see if it finds any errors

Comment

Oh please turn down that vccio back to the stock value from that picture i meant bump it a couple of notches once maybe twice not everytime your froze... if you havent cooked anything already take the vccio back down. If everything is still okay run memtest on each stick by itself, and see if it finds any errors
              Not sure what the stock value is, since I always set everything to auto. What should I set it to?

Comment

Load BIOS/EFI defaults, test each module with XMP enabled and see how that works.

If they all work fine, put them together, with XMP enabled, set VCCIO to 1.10V and see how that works.

You can also add one module at a time to see exactly how much VCCIO may be necessary.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                  Load BIOS/EFI defaults, test each module with XMP enabled and see how that works.

If they all work fine, put them together, with XMP enabled, set VCCIO to 1.10V and see how that works.

You can also add one module at a time to see exactly how much VCCIO may be necessary.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH
                  Set the BIOS to default, and tried a single stick of ram but still had lockups. Are there any settings I should change?

Comment

Have you tried running memtest on the sticks individually? That would be your best bet to try and see if its perhaps memory or something else. Go to the overclocking forum, and there is a sticky called OC tools and download memtest, burn it to a cd, then restart your computer and let it run.

Comment

Have you tried running memtest on the sticks individually? That would be your best bet to try and see if its perhaps memory or something else. Go to the overclocking forum, and there is a sticky called OC tools and download memtest, burn it to a cd, then restart your computer and let it run.
                      Just tried that. No errors on any of the sticks. Each test basically yielded these identical results:

Comment

Hello there, ecomog.

Please list your complete system specifications for me as detailed as possible.

Also are you running the latest BIOS for your motherboard? If not please download the latest version to an USB pendrive and update your BIOS using the EZ Flash Utility in the BIOS. Then proceed to clear your CMOS. Upon first restart, enter your BIOS and load the optimized defaults. Save and restart.

Go use your system like you normally would and see if the lockups still occur at default SPD speed (1333MHz). And we'll go from there.

Comment

Do you have cpu-z on your computer? If so download it and check the memory tab and see what it says it is running at with xmp enabled... I know it says the target is 1866 at the top, but at the same time the xmp profile says ddr 2000. I see memtest says its 1866, but I just want to double check things. As said above do ensure there isn't a newer bios. It seems the memory is all working properly however. You might try just loosening your first timing to 9 and see if that fixes anything, but you shouldn't have to. Last thing I can "suggest" is try a stick in the other 3 slots and see if possibly a slot on the board is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Chino_ View Post
                            Hello there, ecomog.

Also are you running the latest BIOS for your motherboard? If not please download the latest version to an USB pendrive and update your BIOS using the EZ Flash Utility in the BIOS. Then proceed to clear your CMOS. Upon first restart, enter your BIOS and load the optimized defaults. Save and restart.

Go use your system like you normally would and see if the lockups still occur at default SPD speed (1333MHz). And we'll go from there.
                            I'm on the latest version of the bios. Updated it earlier this year. I tried running the ram at 1333MHz as well (check out the images in the first post) and was still getting lockups.

Do you have cpu-z on your computer? If so download it and check the memory tab and see what it says it is running at with xmp enabled... I know it says the target is 1866 at the top, but at the same time the xmp profile says ddr 2000. I see memtest says its 1866, but I just want to double check things. As said above do ensure there isn't a newer bios. It seems the memory is all working properly however. You might try just loosening your first timing to 9 and see if that fixes anything, but you shouldn't have to. Last thing I can "suggest" is try a stick in the other 3 slots and see if possibly a slot on the board is bad.
                            Yes, I have CPU-Z:

I'll try bumping the first number up to 9

Comment

Originally posted by Chino_ View Post
                              Hello there, ecomog.

Forgot to list my specs in the previous post, so here ya go:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
                              Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
                              Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
                              PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W
                              RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR
                              Case: XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Tried bumping up the first timing to 9, and ended up getting super fast lockups. Turned it back down to 8, and tried using 1 stick of ram at a time in each of the slots. Still got lockups. Tried 2 sticks of ram and got a BSOD:

Comment

Working...
                              X