X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-2400C10D-8GTX + ASUS Maximus V Extreme + Intel i7-3770K

* Sorry for my bad English .

Hi, I'm totally new to the overclocking world and bought in 2012:

Asus Maximus V Extreme + i7 3770K + G.Skill F3 - 2400C10D - 8GTX (DDR3 - 2400 4096MBx2).

I do not like overlock , I'm just an idiot who likes the look of the Asus Rog products, bought the G.Skill memory because they use the same motherboard colors, but I read at the time that I just needed to activate the XMP profile to make the memory work at 2400.

Well, googling i found a lot of people with the same problem as i (bios wont post at 2400), they lost alot of time making a variety of tests, but none was able to post, some say that is Asus fault and should RMA the motherboard, others says that the problem is G.Skill memory.

I dont wanna the same fate and time lost, so my objetive is more simple, i wanna try the memory at 2133/2000/1866 speed, can you assist me? :P

Questions:
    1- I can overclock the memmory at 2133/2000/1866 using the CPU in stock?
    2- What is the values i need to change to manually set the memory running at 2133 or 2000 or 1866.

Tks

**Bios up to date

Try 10-11-11-31 at 2133 and see if that will post, set vdram to 1.6v
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Asus Maximus V Extreme + i7 3770K + G.Skill F3 - 2400C10D - 8GTX (DDR3 - 2400 4096MBx2).

That is exactly what i was using for a few months. Never had any problems with these sticks on my M5E. What Postcode do you get on the segment display when activating XMP?
      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post

That is exactly what i was using for a few months. Never had any problems with these sticks on my M5E. What Postcode do you get on the segment display when activating XMP?
        Postcode: 23

*sry for the bad english.

Thank for the answers, i tried 10-11-11-31 at 2133 with 1.6v and is working fine, i will make more tests with memtest.

CPU-Z shows:
        DRAM Frequency 1066.7 Mhz
        FSB: DRAM 1:8
        10-11-11-31
        CR: 1T

The AI Suite II showed a fast warning message, I could not see in time, i guess is the Vcore, my Vcore is 1.234v, that is normal?

Thanks again.

Comment

Depends on your CPU frequency, but feel free to raise it a little bit to see if it can work better.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            Depends on your CPU frequency, but feel free to raise it a little bit to see if it can work better.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH
            Stock CPU, memtest was ok, no erros during 3 hours +.

Vcore 1.234 + stock CPU is normal ? i dont know anything about overclock.

Memory at 2133 10-11-11-31-1T, 1.6v.

The Bios configuration was default, so I followed “Beginner´s guide to setting up RAM speed”, changed Ai Overclock Tuner to Manual, Memory Frequency to 2133, in DRAM Timing Control i used the values that supahos gave(Thank you supahos) and DRAM Voltage 1.6.

I have not changed anything else, anyone have any more advice or it is ok?

I m happy with 2133.

Comment

That vcore is fine wont hurt anything, just keep an eye on temps if you do over clock the cpu, you should have a co.outer capable of doing anything you ask it to
              ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Originally posted by Tulkas View Post
                Postcode: 23
                That usually means you would have hit IMC limit. However until today i have not seen a 3770K that could not do DDR3-2400. So have you fiddled with system voltages beforehand? The Maximus V Extreme should raise VCCIO and VCCSA if needed*, when voltages are configured as AUTO.

I guess you are using one of the newer bios versions?

Then i would try downgrading to one of the earlier "better" ones, like 1309, 1408 or maybe at the latest 1501. At some point ASUS just screwed up with their bios fixing and it went downhill from there... I have gone back to 1408 as well and since then never had any problems with one of my TridentX kits ever again (F3-2400C10D-8GTX, F3-2400C9D-8GTXD, ...).

*on manual voltages try it with VCCIO 1.075V and VCCSA 0.950V first and if that does not help VCCIO 1.10V and VCCSA 0.975V next (that should not be necessary however)

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
                  That usually means you would have hit IMC limit. However until today i have not seen a 3770K that could not do DDR3-2400. So have you fiddled with system voltages beforehand?...
                  No, i bought the MB+CPU+G.Skill in december 2012, they always ran in default settings, i dont like overclock but when i read about XMP i tought it needed only a simple settings to make it work.

You can search and find alot of people with 3570K or 3770k + Z77 incapable of post at 2400, for those people with 3570k G.skill common words are “2400 is only guaranted with 3770k”, the reality is that some people like you with 3570K can succesfully post 2400 and others can not, same thing happens with 3770k.

I do not known the % of sucess rate or what is the problem(Intel, Asus or G.skill), but G.skill cant say “2400 is guaranted to work with 3770k” without making a false propaganda.

The Bios is not the issue here, i updated my bios as Asus released them, and none was able to post with XMP, i dont feel confortable to make the changes you suggested because:

1-I m noob and dont know the normal/minimum/maximus value of VCCIO/VCCSA and what they do at system, like increase of temperature.
                  2-I found(google) some users with my problem, and after alot of tests and waste time they couldnt post.
                  3- Im happy with 2133(was 1333) even not knowing if the values are ideal.

My noob option is or it post 2400 and work fine, no matter if it is 3570K or 3770K, or it just wont work, no matter what you do without replacing MB and/or CPU and/or Memory.

Thanks for you answer emissary42, hope I not sound arrogant and sorry for my english.

Comment

It is doable to get 2400 with that setup but it does require extensive knowlege of tweeking sometimes, most people actually dont seem to benchmark much better @2400 than 2133 since they usually habe to relax timings a bunch, but you should fell a difference between 1333 and 2133 for sure! That is still a very good compter top to bottom

Comment

You can search and find alot of people with 3570K or 3770k + Z77 incapable of post at 2400, for those people with 3570k G.skill common words are “2400 is only guaranted with 3770k”, the reality is that some people like you with 3570K can succesfully post 2400 and others can not, same thing happens with 3770k.
                      Well, i tested dozens of 3570K and 3770K and every single i7 was able to hit DDR3-2400. In fact only one piece did fail to post DDR3-2600 at stock settings. A lot of those reports you found, probably go back to simple problems with the bios configuration. Some of ASRock Z77 mainboards for example have difficulties posting at DDR3-2400. If you have an ASRock Z77 OC Formula or an ASUS Maximus V however...

I do not known the % of sucess rate or what is the problem(Intel, Asus or G.skill), but G.skill cant say “2400 is guaranted to work with 3770k” without making a false propaganda.
                      I am pretty sure they tested even more cpus than i did, before they made that claim.

The Bios is not the issue here, i updated my bios as Asus released them, and none was able to post with XMP...
                      What was the first version you tested? Did you ever try to use the maximus memory profiles for 2x4GB samsung (medium)?

I could also give you a full set of manual settings from one of my saved profiles, if you want to give it a shot.

i dont feel confortable to make the changes you suggested because...
                      Thats fine of course, it is your decision in the end.

Thanks for you answer emissary42, hope I not sound arrogant and sorry for my english.
                      Don't worry about it =)

Comment

Working...
                      X