Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [RipjawsZ] F3-2133C9Q-32GZH + ASUS P9X79 WS + Core i7-4820K

Hi everyone !
    I am going to buy custom PC with this setup - [RipjawsZ] F3-2133C9Q-32GZH + ASUS P9X79 WS + i7-4820K.
    Will this combination work ? (I just have some doubts )
    This is mostly for work with CAD and VM's, RAM drive, but not for overclocking or gaming
    (primarily)
    My question is - can I slightly downclock CPU, without sacrificing memory bandwidth ?

Second question - what G.Skill RAM is really the best for my needs (and such setup) ?
    Did I chosen the best one, in a matter of compatibility ? (also, keeping in mind, that I will use i7-4820K CPU).
    Third question - why does GSkill RAM configurator do not offers any TridentX
    series RAM for this my selected mainboard ?
    Thanks, everyone !

Quad channel memory designed for Intel LGA2011 and X79 systems
    Compatible with Intel LGA1155 and AMD AM3/Llano/AM3+ platforms
    Intel XMP support for 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors

Is in the description so yes I think it definatly should be compatable, and Asus and Gskill do a lot of joint testing so I think that is a plus as well. You should be able to downclock as you see fit, however for what you're wanting to do I would suggest not downclocking. You are one of the few people who buy high end stuff who might actually use it. Trident isn't on the list b/c the ripjaws Z series was designed specifally for the X79 platform, Tridents certainly should work, but they are more broadly focused. To be honest Just looking at specs and whatnot I think the black ripjaws and tridents are basically the same memory, I'm sure thats not the case but you won't be disappointed either way.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Yep, thank you ))
      I think, I am ordering those components' together.
      But I want to say my thoughts about downclocking:
      I think it is a good idea, because those LGA 2011 CPU's (excluding some low frequency Xeons)
      has too high heat dissipation, and their typical power consumption is about 100 W.
      Comparing to 3-rd gen. core i5 - just 25 W drift and 45 W on full load (just 32 C and 60 C temperature, respectively - with the stock cooler (!)). Situation on the notebooks is horrible - if I do not downclock CPU, it can reach 100 C - 102 C easily (on some systems).
      I already had a warranty issue with my Dell notebook, because of the overheating.
      So now, I have 1.6 GHz CPU at 0.9 GHz, and it is still not so good - very noisy.
      But I think, that if I downclock that i7-4820K just by 5-10%, I can get almost 20-30% lower heat dissipation. So I would not have to worry about overheating, when I convert the audio (I will work on the full load then). Of course, in that shop, when I will buy it, I will have a flexible warranty
      (hardwareversand.de - they deliver to Sweden as well), but I prefer to have a system, that work stable all the time 24/7.
      And I will sleep tidier under silent noise of it's coolers
      Actually, for CPU, I think it is good idea to have a water cooling.
      Mounting 1.5 kg monster with 2 coolers on CPU is just insane.
      And I will have to mount it myself, in that case, because no shop will do that -
      for safety reasons - it is a high risk to damage the CPU chip, with such cooler on it during the transportation.
      I will come back here for some instructions, probably, when I will get my new PC

Comment

Sounds like a plan, but this processor does NOT come with a stock cooling fan, unless you're buying it somewhere that will put it all together for you and add their own. So just get a decent cooling solution and leave it at stock, If you actually think you will hit 100% on this cpu then downclocking it is silly. The temps at stock aren't that bad and since you'll HAVE to buy a cooler anyway might as well spring the extra $20 for a good one. Hope this helps and hope if you didn't already know it comes fanless that you notice this before you get your parts in.
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I know, that it is fan less out-of-the-box.
          That shop, where I will buy everything, makes assembling for like 20 euros,
          and I can buy an extended plain warranty, and free pickup warranty is quite cheap.
          But they will not mount a really heavy cooler, the same like any other shop -
          I can buy a cooler from them, buy I will have to install it myself then.
          I can do that, I did that before a couple of times, but I prefer, that they would
          do that in the shop, for some reasons.
          That is why I want some "hydro" - it is actually not much more expensive ,
          comparing to air cooler and especially to the other base components. I will order Corsair brand - it is just about 100 EUR.
          It is not a top solution, but I think that it is good enough.
          But any good air cooler for LGA2011 will be heavier than 500 g, and nobody will install
          such heavy cooler, keeping in mind, that the PC will have to be transported.
          Do you think, a cheap (good brand anyway) liquid cooling is a reliable solution ?
          (there will be two 14 cm coolers on the heat radiator, but I am a little concerned
          about a water leaking danger)
          Of course, it is a little off topic, but anyway, might be it will help somebody.
          And I will make a plain test and report here later

Comment

I know you're not in the US and newegg isn't an option, but I think this is probably your best bet product wise

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181032

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181035

First one a tad better second one cheaper but still should do the trick

and last I knew a euro was worth more than a USD so its about 100 EUR, and there will be absolutely no need to under clock, I suspect you can put a mild OC on it and never see 60C under stress. (chip is rated to go pretty dang hot, ppl just aren't used to it and freak when they see 80C)

If you use a name brand cooler leakage shouldn't be possible unless you intentionally do something to the system (buy a closed loop system for maximum security). My system isn't water cooled but only b/c I don't have an unlocked processor and there is no need. Either of those watercooling systems should be rock solid, and be better than a 500 KG (not g) air cooler
            Last edited by supahos; 10-04-2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I seen that stuff ))
              That was exactly, what I was looking to ))
              For some reason, stuff that costs in US $100, in Europe costs 100 euros :-//
              (especially in Sweden - they are all fu**in speculators here - that is why I am ordering from Germany -
              they have only 12 % VAT instead of 25 % in Sweden, and it is not only about the taxes)
              But should cost 73 euros.
              There is another option, that I am thinking about - from Cooler Master.
              http://www.coolermaster.com/product/...idon-240m.html
              This one is even cheaper, and should be a good quality. It only do not have something,
              like "Corsair Link" technology.
              But, I noticed one thing - normally, those water cooling systems
              are rated as "2-years no leak" operation.
              But Okay, I can replace it after 2 years, if something.
              Anyway, I will do a minor upgrade after 2 years, so I will send
              it to shop for that and for w/c system maintence.
              I think, that you are underestimating those LGA2011 CPUs' wattage
              Well, if I will get 45 C on drift and not more that 75 C on 100 % load,
              (you know I use EZ CD Audio Converter for audio transcoding, it is multithreaded -
              I can add more threads on the fly, or use only 2 or 1 if I want, or I can use LAME encoder - it is like a "CPU kill" utility - it always loads any CPU damn heavily to 100% )
              then I will not downclock.
              I hope, that w/c system will help me to reach not more than those numbers .

I want to make a little excursus - I am waiting for some technology to come to our life, that is an ultrasonic cooling. I do not have a link, but I seen something about that, might be on youtube. Damn it - they do zillions of things with ultrasound, but I can not find about a cooling. Anyway - I have seen it once somewhere
              It is just a flat a couple millimeter think plate, that is connected to the ultrasound frequency generator.
              Works similar to Peltie cooling, but the different way (physically)
              I have seen the prototype, already.
              They will use it in a high density server systems, first, probably.
              That will be like a holy Graal for the IT people and different gadget freaks
              Ok, thank you for support, I will disappear for a while, order my PC, wait for it,
              then I will get it and make tests (I am crossing the fingers )) ).

Comment

Originally posted by klugemann View Post
                that is why I am ordering from Germany - they have only 12 % VAT
                Actually it is 19% for us in germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxatio...alue-added_tax

The F3-2133C9Q-32GZH are a good choice.
                Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

I will keep in mind (my mistake), but anyway, even with 19 % VAT, if you know where to buy, it can be much cheaper than in Sweden.
                  Just because of the Swedish speculators.

Comment

Hi, every body !!
                    I got my system 1.5 weeks ago, and I was busy on installing everything.
                    Had to mess with the cables for 2 days, first - in the store they assembled
                    it in not very quality way. They just want to fit in 20 minutes interval,
                    because 1 minute of service cost 1 euro, and price tag on assembling is 20 euros.
                    damnit ((
                    But now it is almost perfect ))
                    It works perfect with GSkill memory, of course ))
                    I will do RAMDrive test later - still did not got to that.
                    But I will post some pictures that illustrates CPU temps and power consumption -
                    I was shocked, that it is more energy effective on idle than Core i5-3xxxS, that is rated
                    as 65W TDP. So, supahos was right - temps are good, at least with
                    a liquid cooling system.
                    I tested with EZ CD Audio Converter - screen is here

I hope this pic is not too big and do not violates the forum rules.
                    Picture shows 91% CPU load with 8 converters and 17 threads, but, actually
                    8 converters are maxing out to 100% - it probably was 91% for very short moment.
                    For the comparsion, Core i5-3xxxS 3.6 GHz gives me about 130X speed, this one
                    is faster because of Hyper Threading and bigger L3 cache, probably.
                    And GSkill RAM of course
                    CoreTemp test measuring screens are here

I think I will do some more tests later (together with RAM performance test with RAMDisk),
                    like 3D rendering test, to show the real possibilities of this RAM combination with this CPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X