Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is the best RAM to buy for a 990FXA-GD80 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the best RAM to buy for a 990FXA-GD80 ?

Hi, I 'd like to upgrade my old AM3+ PC FX-8150 MSI 990FXA-GD80 (MS-7640) v2.2 it has a v13 BIOS 01/28/2013 currently running 12GB (3x4GB) 1866mhz Corsair Vengeance.

I almost bought G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C11Q-32GAR but according to "G.Skill RAM Configurator" is not listed, the fasted ones seems to be 1866. However MSI is advertising DDR3 2133 support for their 990FXA-GD80 MB... according to some folks on this forum who has the same motherboard reported to have some issues with 2133 memories back in 2011 having to manually set basic timings and DRAM voltage to such high frequencies. I don't want to have troubles messing with OC functions if possible. I expect running a stable & reliable high quality rig intended for office use rather than gaming (will be doing a lot of cryptography though).

I'm wondering if things have changed now? Last BIOS available at MSI support is v13.6 (2015-06-15)
    if not which other RAM would you suggest buying instead of 2133 or Ares series?
    btw, I could eventually change my CPU to a FX-8370.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Animus; 04-06-2019, 08:02 AM.

DDR3-2133, especially 32GB will be very stressful for the CPU memory controller to support

You can still purchase DDR3-2133, and set up as high as the system can support with stability. For example, if DDR3-1866 is most stable, you can lower timings to make up for some performance and it will be great.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      DDR3-2133, especially 32GB will be very stressful for the CPU memory controller to support
      Would it be that stressful even if I use FX-8370 processor + latest motherboard BIOS?

You can still purchase DDR3-2133, and set up as high as the system can support with stability. For example, if DDR3-1866 is most stable, you can lower timings to make up for some performance and it will be great.
      How is the best way to lowering the timings? doing this voids any warranties?
      Also, there is a way of simulating or knowing (prior purchase) which hardware as well as which settings will deliver stability at the higher performance possible at 32GB ? How can it be calculated / estimated accurately?
      Last edited by Animus; 04-14-2019, 11:31 PM.

Comment

That is the best combination, however still the same platform so DDR3-2133 is difficult.

Lowering timings does not void warranty. You can lower first 3 timings by 1 to see how that works.

For guaranteed results, the G.Skill QVL is available, that is a list of what we have tested to be certified combinations for XMP Profile.

Comment

For guaranteed results, the G.Skill QVL is available, that is a list of what we have tested to be certified combinations for XMP Profile.
          According to G.Skill QVL aka "RAM Configurator" these are the only models that seem to fit my needs:

[Ares] F3-1866C10Q-32GAB
          DDR3-1866 (PC3-14900)
          32GB (8GBx4)
          CL10-11-10-30
          1.50 Volt

[RipjawsX] F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL
          DDR3-1866 (PC3-14900)
          16GB (8GBx2)
          CL10-11-10-30
          1.50 Volt

Also note that the QVLs are by no means an exhaustive list of possible combinations.. in principle, all fully-compliant DDR3 DIMMs should work with all fully DDR3-compliant motherboards and QVLs should be unnecessary so there will be several times more usable configurations than those found in QVLs. I found this post to be very useful: http://www.gskill.us/forum/forum/gen...oard-qvl-lists
          Unfortunately MSI support sucks, their forum is disabled without registering my product S/N first which also requires a lot of personal information including submitting a copy of the bill. I wanted to ask as well as seek for answers on regard of hardware compatibility but I'm unable to do so atm.

It seems that I'm going to purchase 4 sticks 8GB each at 1866 hopping that cpu FX-8150 memory controller can handle 32GB at once in dual channel. Willing to activate MSI OC genie II auto or lite with the latest BIOS, firmware and utilities available for Windows 8.1 64-bit OS.
          Last edited by Animus; 04-17-2019, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Should be fine, that's the typical upper limit for the FX CPUs.

You can try XMP Profile, however manual set up may be better. Let us know how it goes, we are here to help

Comment

There are 2 other kits that I'm also considering which are not listed on QLV:

[RipjawsX] F3-1866C10Q-32GXL
              [RipjawsZ] F3-14900CL10Q-32GBZL

DDR3-1866 (PC3-14900)
              32GB (8GBx4)
              CL10-11-10-30
              1.50 Volt

You can try XMP Profile, however manual set up may be better. Let us know how it goes, we are here to help
              afaik XMP is for intel only, perhaps you mean AMP ? I've never tried messing with those settings before. Can you point me toward some thread / article / tutorial ?

Comment

Check the user's guide for the motherboard, or look around in BIOS, it can have different name but same purpose.

Comment

Working...
                X