F3-8500CL7S-4GBRL BIOS Error on MSI 770-C45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-8500CL7S-4GBRL BIOS Error on MSI 770-C45

MSI 770-C45 MOBO, replacing a 1GB stick of Crucial RAM with a single F3-8500CL7S-4GBRL stick. Powered up the system and got three short beeps and a message on the screen that my BIOS was corrupt. Put the old RAM back in and the system booted up fine. Board had a 5 year old BIOS and I figured that was the problem. Upgraded BIOS, MOBO drivers, etc with the latest from the MSI website and verified everything was booting correctly. Powered down, put the new stick back in, powered up and now I get continuous short beeps and nothing on the screen. Sounds like I got a bad stick of RAM but I don't want to go through the hassle and wait of an RMA and since this is the first G.Skill RAM I've ever bought I'm hoping this is just some wierd MOBO config issue.

The stick should work, have you checked the bios to ensure the ram speed, and timings are correct? Its also possible you'll have to dowbclock it to 800mhz or oc your processor depending on what you're running
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

No joy

Cleared CMOS via jumper, still couldn't get the system to post with the new memory. Put the old RAM in slot 1 and the new RAM in slot 3 and was able to get into BIOS. The new DIMM is detected, but the serial number field was blank, indicating a problem. Anyhow, changed memory timing to match the DIMM , saved changes, booted to Windows, got a page fault BSOD. Powered off, went back into BIOS, changed clock rate to 400, booted, BSOD. Tried umpteen combinations of memory timings, clock rates, etc. Overclocked, under-clocked, tried DIMM in different slots, etc. No matter what I did the system either sat at a blinking cursor when the G.Skill RAM was in by itself, or blue screened when in with my old DIMM. Next stop RMA.

Comment

my last suggestion is to write down the timings/speed that the single stick runs at, and put the new stick in, go into bios (if you can get that far) and set the timings manually to that stick. I suspect the board is detecting the stick to run faster than your computer can handle so it wont boot at default settings, then you get the BSOD b/c the sticks won't play nice with eachother. Could just be a faulty stick however.
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Final resolution

RMA'd the RAM. Got the replacement stick today and it worked right out of the package, no mucking with settings. All's well that ends well.

Comment

Working...
          X