• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z77X-UD5H + F3-1600C10D-16GAO, Request for Timing Suggestions

Ok, so this is my motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
    This is my CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
    And the RAM: ARES 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600

All hardware is set to stock bus speeds and multipliers.

Like many of the NewEgg commentors, this board defaults the RAM to 1333MHz. It calls them 1600MHz, but it says the actual speed is 1333MHz based on the multiplier of 13.33. Now I figured out how to change the multiplier to 16.00 and that seems to put it at the correct value of 1600MHz (10-10-10-30), but I wanted to be sure that was the right thing/way to change for this memory. I see all sorts of voltage numbers, etc that I'm extremely leary of touching for fear of damaging the brand new system.

Being a new system and new to the SATA era PC builds I'm also trying to make sure I get everything tested before my RMA periods expire. I tried using the Windows 7 x64 installation DVD to run the WMD, but I kept getting an error. I tried it once from within Windows (triggering a reboot) and it sent me into the Diagnostic tool post-boot. I chose the most detailed option and left the cycles to default. Any idea how long that would have taken to complete? Is it Really testing all 16GB of RAM? Any clue as to why the Boot DVD utility wasn't working, but the in-OS one was? If it matters, the DVD is pre-PS1 and the installation was post-SP1. Perhaps I should create a Slipstream disc?

Now hopefully I'll remember to make my way back here. >.<

When a motherboard doesn't know what to do with a RAM, it'll sometimes default back to the JEDEC standard of 1333MHz.

Have you tried going into BIOS and enabling XMP Profile? (You should reset back to optimal default first.) That should let you run the RAM at the intended speed.

Let us know if you're still getting errors after enabling XMP.
    ultra terminum

Comment

I answered your questions in the body of my initial post, but everything I read in the BIOS seems to say I'm running at 1600MHz, but there's one section that never changes from 1333MHz that could be a base reference point.

Comment

Download and run CPU-Z (a free utility program), check the MEMORY tab, it should show the DRAM Frequency as appr 800 if you are running 1600 (DDR Double Data Rate so 800 x2 = 1600).

You said you changed the multiplier to 16.00, what Mr.Mark was saying was to go to the DRAM settings normally manual, Auto, XMP and enable XMP the select the 1600 profile.

On the booting from the CD/DVD, you may have to go into the BIOS settings and set the CD/DVD player to be first in the BOOT Priority....normally people have it set to HardDrive

As far as WMD, it's not bad, but if any doubts, I've found it best to test each stick individually with Memtest (generally 4-5 passes is plenty, as Memtest can take all night to run all testing routines.

Hope I covered everything, if not, give a shout

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Having read through the motherboard's manual first, yes I did set the XMP profile (it only lists one that you edit). It's just weird that 90% of the numbers you read agree with what you're doing and then there's that small % that wants to confuse you. Even in the CPU-Z it has a section under SPD that lists the Max Bandwidth of the memory as PC3-10700 (667MHz). Just another one of those things that makes you go...*headdesk*

Comment

That Max Bandwidth is a major bone of contention w/ me, I've approached them but they won't change it, even as misleading as it is, it's explained more fully in my info thread here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10565

Again, any other questions, throw them out

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X