Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between F3-12800CL9Q-8GBNQ and F3-12800CL9Q-8GBRL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between F3-12800CL9Q-8GBNQ and F3-12800CL9Q-8GBRL?

Hi, I try to make my questions clear so that you can understand what I ask.

F3-12800CL9Q-8GBNQ
    F3-12800CL9Q-8GBRL

Their specifications are almost the same, like DDR3 1600Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5v and 2GBx4 etc.

I know that both of them can be used on the Intel X48 and P45 chipsets, according to the G.Skill official website.
    But I want to know the difference.
    Your answers can give me the comparison when I buy them.

Q1.
    The last two letters of the model name, like NQ and RL, what are their represented meanings?

Q2.
    Are they, NQ and RL, both Double-Side module? Or, Single-Side module?

2GB, Double-Side module, use 128Mx8 (bit)/per chip.
    2GB, Single-Side module, use 256Mx8 (bit)/per chip.

I guess that 2GB, the Single-Side module, 256Mx8 (bit), cannot be used on the Intel X48 and P45 chipsets.
    So,
    I think, the other products, like
    F3-12800CL9Q-8GBXL
    F3-12800CL9Q-8GBZL
    both use 256Mx8 (bit), Single-Side module.

That are all my questions that I can think about right now.
    Thanks for your answers in advance.
    Last edited by tmc_00; 07-26-2012, 09:35 PM.

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
    What all is in the Model number of GSkill DRAM?

To explain this I will a model at random - F3-2133C9Q-32GXH which I hope will cover the major points, if anyone has a question on a model # feel free to ask?

We?ll look at a set of Ripjaws X ? Model # F3-2133C9Q-32GXH and we?ll break it down to ?F3? - ?2133? - ?C9? - ?Q? ? ?32G? ?XH?

A) F3 - indicates that this is DDR3 (may also see F2 for DDR2, F1 for DDR
    B) 2133 - indicates the rated frequency of the DRAM
    C) C9 - This indicates the rated CAS Latency of the stick/set, a lower CAS is indicative of higher performance. Here this appears to be the new indicator, ?C9?, in older models will show with an ?L? as in ?CL9?, as it appears in the next example.
    D) Q - indicates the number of sticks in the set, here Q is for Quad or 4 sticks, also will see ?S? for a single stick package, ?D? for a dual or 2 stick package, ?T? for Tri or a 3 stick package, T2 for a Tri x 2 or 6stick package and Q2 for a Quad x2 or 8 stick package
    E) 32G - indicates the total DRAM of the package ? alsoshown in older sets as 32GB with the inclusion of the ?B? . GSkill sells 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32 and 64 GB sets (hope I got them all)
    F) XH - indicates the specific model line, in this case ?XH? is for Ripjaws X High, and as long as we have Ripjaws X, there is also the XL ? Ripjaws X Low, and ?XM? Ripjaws X Medium others include RL, RM, RH for the Regular Ripjaws (low, Medium and High for OCing potential, often tied to the CL where lower CL indicates higher performance), the Ripjaws Z lines use ZL, ZM and ZH (yes, you guessed Low, Medium and High), then there are the Snipers that use SR 1.5 volt, SR1 for 1.35 and SR2 for 1.25, Ares com in AB for Blue and AO for Orange. While these are the primary models there are also earlier models like NT, NS, NQ, HK, PK and others.
    G) You might also find a ?D? at the end of a model # - this indicates the set comes with 1 or at times 2 cooling fans for the sticks.
    ten chars
    AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Hi, damric, thanks for your information.

It is a great help to understand how the characters of model name is named.
      NQ and RL, the N and R letter, it supports to represent the different product line.

But I still do not understand what is the difference of specifications between NQ and RL.
      According to the G.Skill official website, their specifications are almost the same!
      It seems the F3-12800CL9Q-8GBNQ and F3-12800CL9Q-8GBRL to use the same module, but different heatsink.
      Maybe they use different chips.

That is why I asked the Q2.
      According to the G.Skill official website,
      I reason that the F3-12800CL9Q-8GBNQ and F3-12800CL9Q-8GBRL are both Double-Side module.
      Because both of them can be used on the Intel X48 chipsets.

I think that the F3-12800CL9Q-8GBNQ is more suitable and safer for me than the F3-12800CL9Q-8GBRL,
      if I want it to be used on the Intel X48 or P45 chipsets.
      Because the NQ series, the maximun capacity of per module is 2GB,
      and the R(L, M, H) series, the maximun capacity of per module is 4GB.
      Last edited by tmc_00; 07-26-2012, 09:36 PM.

Comment

The earliest DDR3 lines were NT and NS (NT became their Value line) followed soon after by the NQ, HK and PK, all were oriented towards P45, X48 and early DDR3 AMD derivatives. The Ripjaws came soon after when the 1156 and 1366 mobos, got close, Ripjaws X and Snipers when 1155 came up, Ripjaws Z and Ares with the socket 2011 and the Tridents oriented towards the 3rd Gen CPUs and in the 1155 socket/Z77 chipset. Generally as the new lines come out, they are based on different memory chips and even within a given line they may use different ICs. To my knowledge they don't release the IC info to the public (most DRAM manufacturers are the same)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi, Tradesman, thanks for your explanation.
          It is useful.

Actually, when I brought up the question(or thread),
          I just try to figure out what kind of model name can work well and appropriately on the specific chipsets.
          I do not want to know what kind of chips or ICs are used on the module.

I think I will use NQ series if I want to use the X48 or P45 chipsets.

Comment

Snipers and Ripjaws work well also, put those into a few P45s

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X