Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this RAM compatible with the ASUS M5A97 board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this RAM compatible with the ASUS M5A97 board?

I tried the RAM Configurator on the website but it didn't seem updated at all.

I purchased these here:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 EVO AM3+ AMD 970
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131757

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231476

Looking at the memory compatibility for the motherboard here:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97/#MSL

I don't see it listed... it only shows the F3-17066 versions. Does this mean it won't work? I don't want to assemble everything and mess up the RAM or Motherboard because of incompatibility issues and wont' be able to return it. Would you recommend me finding a different version? On Newegg, all the 2133 versions of GSkill that are available for purchase aren't listed in the RAM compatibility chart neither. Thanks - Dale

There's no problem w/ the DRAM and mobo, you don't mention a CPU though, and that's the biggest thing w/ AMD, if you have a FX-8150, you can probably get them to run at 2133, but no guarantee, the FX series is advertised as UP TO 2 DIMMS of 1866.....and many have had problems even with that. What CPU do you have/are you ordering?
    Last edited by Tradesman; 07-24-2012, 08:26 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

wth i thought i responded already, guess it didn't go through... anyway tyvm for the reply

i actually did order the FX-8150 surprisingly... so i guess for now i'll try and see if i can get my desired 2133... i didn't know the processor is directly correlated to how fast my RAM can perform though? i thought it was more about the motherboard.....

so let's say this doesn't work and i can't get up to 2133.... what would you suggest since newegg doesn't seem to have any of the GSkill RAM compatible of 2133? just wanted to see if you had a suggestion before i go to a different brand if i have to... thanks - Dale

Comment

Indeed, the CPU really has as much to do with how high the memory will clock, as the the memory. That's why all these RAMs are advertised intel qualified, intel has a stronger memory controller that makes compatibility so easy.

Now with your FX-8150, you should be able to get some high frequency going because it has a pretty good memory controller. Maybe not as fast as 2133, but it's a worthy target, and you at least know that your RAM isn't holding you back.

The trick with AMD is always loosening certain timings (they tend to default a little too tight for high speeds on AMD). It's really something you need to play around with, and have a lot of patience. Also juicing the CPU-NB can help.

I haven't been able to get stable at 2133 on my own FX chip, but I am rock solid at 2000CL8. In my experiments, I have even booted unstable at over DDR3-2500, so I know it's not my ripjaws holding me back
        AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Working...
        X