Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G.SKILL F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL and Asus M5A97 compatibility issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.SKILL F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL and Asus M5A97 compatibility issues.

To the tech gurus,
    Installed this 16GB RAM with an Asus M5a97 MoBo and motherboard gave a CLEAR solid red DRAM light when powered on which means one thing: Memory incompatibility. The on-board DRAM controller does have the ability to "overclock" the R.A.M Timing and Voltage settings to facilitate operation, and even though it was able to tune the modules to a boot-able state it did so by changing the factory parameters listed on each stick of R.A.M. This kit is not listed in the Memory QVL but has similar settings with compatible G skill modules on list. Question: Could the pairing of these two ?incompatible? components caused the motherboard to become overloaded and damaged one of the essential operating capacitors?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Actually there could be a number of reasons - you don't mention the CPU, many of which can't handle 4 sticks of 1600, normally I suggest a minimum of a 965 Rev C. Next the DRAM (1600 and above needs to be set up manually or through DOCP or XMP (if your mobo has it). You may not have the latest BIOS and even if you do, it may not be ready for 4x4GB of this 1600. The changes to the timings and freq is based on initial bootup with the sticks and is done by the mobo itself, the MC (memory controller) is in the CPU (and as mentioned may not be capable of 1600). Try setting the freq to 1600, set the base timings per spec and CR (Command rate/timing) to 2N or 2T, try DRAM voltage initially at 1.55 and raise CPU/NB voltage to about 1.2 see how that goes. For 1600 sticks this thread might help, depending on CPU:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Also, for additional info on QVLs, might look at this info thread:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Which CPU do you have?

You will need to test each module with the proper settings to make sure they all work properly.

Notice the sticky about AMD CPUs + G.Skill 1600, you will need to use that to configure settings if you have a Phenom II CPU.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Currently running an AMD Fx 4100.

Comment

For 16GB may have to increase DRAM and CPU/nb voltages to try and get the sticks to work. Would think it can run the sticks, haven't worked with the 4100, it's supposed to be able to run 2 sticks of 1866, though haven't heard of many having luck at that, so I really don't know on 4x4GB, it may be to much for the MC or it might work...sorry bout that

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I had 16GB running smooth on my FX-4100.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthrea...8038#post58038

The trick is to pump CPU-NB voltage, and loosen timings where needed.
            AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Working...
            X