Getting GSKILL F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD to run @ 2400 mhz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting GSKILL F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD to run @ 2400 mhz

Well after tinkering with my build while waiting for my forum account to be activated I think I may have already solved my problem! (fingers crossed!) Been running stable for almost 2 hours now...

Anyways I just built a new PC, spec are:

ASUS p9x79 pro mobo
    gskill F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD ram kit
    core i7 3.6 ghz cpu (right now clocked @ 4.2ghz)
    eVGA GTX 680 4 gb video card
    2 x samsung 730 256 gb SSD (just single drives, non-raided)
    corsair vengeance c70 case w/ corsair 850watt power supply
    corsair h70 stand alone liquid cooling for processor

Was able to get system up and running stable with ram running @ 2133 mhz, even with clocking CPU all the way up to 4.6 ghz. However when I would try to load the XMP profile @ 2400 mhz, sometimes would boot, sometimes not, and if so would lock up between 5~15 minutes.

I did not have the memory fans installed as I didn't think I would need them. So I installed one though the 2nd one would not fit as the radiator for the CPU cooler was in the way over that memory bank. However I did have a left over corsair memory fan in my old CPU, which is a smaller profile and was able to fit. So just switched those two out and as I said, up and running stable for about 2 hours which is much longer than before so hopefully that was the problem. Just figured I'd share my experience, and if it does lock up I'm sure I'll be asking some questions!
    Islamorada Fishing
    Islamorada Fishing Report

If any problems, look to raise MC (memory Controller) Voltage to 1.1 or so and possibly VCCSA to about same - also check that you have the latest BIOS - Asus is still working to get their BIOSs up to snuff on big sets of DRAM

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well just as I was going to reply to the thread again it seized up

However, may possibly be due to the fact the corsair fan I put in is pretty old, squeals, and I can see the RPM in BIOS fluctuation heavily so may not be working properly. Now when it does boot again it seems to be seizing every 5-10 minutes, but again maybe fan is no good.

I am up to date with the BIOS, I don't see an MC voltage in my BIOS options though, could it be labeled something differently?
      Islamorada Fishing

Comment

Look for CPUVTT or VTTCPU, VTT, something like that

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok well tinkering with those settings now, turned VTTCPU to 1.1 and just had a crash with that. Now I've got VCCSA and that at 1.1 and trying it.

What about raising volts for the DRAM from 1.65 to 1.7? I had read some people suggesting that in various places...

GSKILL support emailed me back, I tested each stick seperatly and getting crashes on all of them. Tried them in different slots as well...

I was able to run @ 2133 all night, with the baseclock OCed so I was at 2257 or something like that, and still no problems. Just doesn't like 2400 for some reason 8P. Any other ideas?
          Islamorada Fishing

Comment

May need to move up on the VCCSA. DDR3-2400 is in the top range, so CPUs need a boost to support/stabilize it.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Tried bumping VCCSA, just crash with it up @ 1.35..
              Islamorada Fishing

Comment

Can you post your DRAM timings (base and advanced) as well as system voltages

Tman

Comment

Think that's everything. I didn't include the spread sprectrums (which would be on the bottom of the 3rd picture down). They are both set to Auto.

Islamorada Fishing

Comment

Try VttCPU 1.2 and their BIOS isn't ready for this set, advanced timings are off from what I've seen on other systems , these won't be exact but at 2400 my RJ use tRC 42, tWR 16, tRRD 7, trfc 278, tWTR 8, tRTP 8, tFAW 27, tCWL 7

Tman

Comment

No luck getting it to boot with VTTCPU @ 1.2, I did get it it boot at 1.1625 or something but it locked up while booting windows, and wasn't able to get it to go again, may try some more later.

I noticed in the AI Suite tools that ASUS provides there is something called DIGI+ control, which I'm sure you can mess with these settings in the BIOS as well. But would turning up the DRAM Current Capability or Power Phase Control possibly help? Descriptions of each seem to indicate they can extend overclocking frequency range...

Anyhow, sounds like the board is just likely not ready, so either have to wait for a BIOS update or get a new board? Being I can run the sticks @ 2261 I think I'll just likely wait.
                      Islamorada Fishing

Comment

All tight, keep us informed, may want to drop a note to the mobo maker and ask about BIOS upgrades

Tman

Comment

Change these values for secondary timings, they are too tight right now:

Let me know how that works.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well I just updated to new BIOS they released today. When I try to load XMP profile, I am having trouble getting it to boot with RAM @ 2400 mhz. The two times I did get it to boot, it is only recognizing 16 GB of RAM installed. When it defaults back to 1333 and if I go up to 2133, it recognizes all 32 GB.
                            Last edited by syxx; 07-23-2012, 11:31 AM.
                            Islamorada Fishing

Comment

Did you try the secondary timings that GSkill tech provided

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X