• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Motherboard: Asus M5A97
    Memory: F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
    CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3ghz

Problem: Where to start.... It really quite confusing because of how random it is. Let me try to start from the beginning.

I finished putting my computer together, booted up. Everything was great. The ram was running at 8 GB but only 1600. Since this ram is supposed to run at 1866 I changed the timings to 9-10-9-28 and the voltage to 1.5v. Then the Mhz to 1866. Rebooted and it was back down to 4GB at 1866Mhz. For some reason everytime I tried to change it to 1866 it would go back to 4GB, I tried browsing forums. I tried D.O.C.P, manual, auto. I tried multiple different settings and configurations. Nothing worked. It always went back to 4 GB. Finally i said forget it, it was running good enough at 8GB 1600mhz. Then tonight I noticed it was only running 4 again. So I rebooted and trying changing it to 1866 and then back to 1600 again hoping that would work. It didn't. So I took 1 stick out and booted it. No such luck. Wouldn't even boot. The fans and LEDs and such were all running but it wouldn't post, just a black screen. I tried the MemOK! button to no avail. So I tried the other stick. Same thing....I then tried both sticks in the other DIMM slots. I tried them 1 by 1 in every slot. Nothing... Why would it work(halfway) for a few days then just stop working all together? Bad ram? Should I get a replacement?

If your mobo has DOCP, try enabling that and setting to 1866, if no joy, manually set freq, timings to 1866 and raise DRAM and CPU/NB Voltage + .05

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Those were some of the many things I tried when I could actually get this thing to post. Which it won't do now. Now it just gives me the blinking red DRAM light and it won't start.

Comment

Try resetting the CMOS, then try with a single stick, raise the voltages then power down and add second stick (and while in the BIOS if you get there make sure you have the latest version, if not upgrade the BIOS bfore adding second stick

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

no such luck, same issue. Could the ram be bad? I kind of figured it wouldn't have worked at all. Or god forbid the motherboard?

Comment

If it runs with a single stick can run Memtest on each stick individually 4-5 passes to see if both good...could also try running at 1600, many 6100's cant carry 1866 sticks

Tman

Comment

This 6100 can, i already checked the spec. Plus i can't even boot with 1 stick. Maybe we weren't on the same page. My computer won't even boot right now. All of my fans run and the leds are on but the Memok! light blinks and the screen just stays black. I'm probably going to send it back to newegg tomorrow i must have just received a bad kit.

Comment

If neither stick will even POST, might try resetting CMOS, and also check that all standoffs are tight (so the mobo isn't shortening), check CPU for any thermal compound on bottom or in socket, bent/broken pins in socket, etc....it's very, very seldom you'll get a set of sticks and all be bad

Tman

Comment

you already told me to reset cmos and i did so, with no luck. Is it really worth checking the pins and such if the computer already worked for a week now? i was very careful putting the cpu in and i'd rather not mess with it unless i have to. Same goes with the motherboard, the computer has worked for a week. The ram hasn't worked correctly since the start and now it won't work at all.

Comment

Might want to go ahead and RMA then, I'm simply say it's highly unusual for a whole set to be bad, if you get the replacement and still have problems then it's quite possible the CPU just can't handle the 1866 or mobo or CPU may be failing. Could try running at 1600 or see if you have or can borrow another set of sticks and see what happens

Tman

Comment

Okay thanks a lot for your help, My buddy has the same ram i do so i'll try to borrow them from him and i'll update with my results. If those don't work as well i'm guessing it's the motherboard since my friend just had to RMA his M5A97 for other issues.

Comment

Keep us updated

Tman

Comment

got my friends ram, put the ram in, it booted no problem and turned it to 1866 and it worked like a charm. Sending the ram out on monday. So happy it was something so simple and not the motherboard. Cheers for the help.

Comment

Glad problem is solved, let us know how it goes when you get replacements

Tman

Comment

Replacements

Just got the replacements, works like a charm first boot. thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X