ASRock X79-Extreme9 & 32GB 12800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock X79-Extreme9 & 32GB 12800

I have an ASRock X79-Extreme9 motherboard and i7-3930K CPU.

I've tried both a F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (8x4GB) and F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (4x8GB) kits and I cannot get all memory to work.

With all DIMMs from either kit my machine will not POST. I've tried the standard BIOS and also the latest and neither works.

With the 8x4 kit, I can get 6 DIMMs working for 24 GB. I think 7 DIMMs do actually work and there is just one that doesn't reliably POST. (i.e. it has a couple of times but will not reboot).

With the 4x8 kit, I can only get 2 DIMMs working. If I swap these for the other two I get either a failure to POST or intermittent reboots on the way to the OS starting.

Have I just been really unlucky and got 2 kits that don't work or is there something else I'm missing?

Do you have the latest BIOS? that might help, but it might not be fully ready for so much DRAM either. May have to manually set up the timings, advanced timings and voltages manually. Many mobo makers are ill prepared for people jumping in with maxing out DRAM and using high capacity sticks, much of their 'testing' is based of 2-4 sticks w/ 1-2GB per stick

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

yeah, i've tried the latest BIOS as well as what came with the board.

is it normal to get different behaviour with different modules in the same slot in the motherboard?

the 8x4 kit has 7 modules which will POST in the first slot and 1 which won't reliably POST.

the 4x8 kit has 2 modules which seem to work in the first 2 slots and 2 which cause all sorts of problems (no POST or restarts).

do these errors seem like faulty memory? if the motherboard or CPU were at fault i'd expect the same regardless of the memory module.

the gskill site lists both of these kits as supported for the X79-Extreme9 motherboard so i thought it would be OK for this much memory.

Comment

If running single sticks, it would be best to manually set (turn XMP off) and prob run Memtest (4-5 passes on each stick), with all sticks of a set installed use XMP and check voltages, it might not be adjusting voltages correctly (and possibly advance timings may be off). Could you post the Timings, Advance timings and system voltages that are set on the 4x8GB set, I can take a look and see if anything looks off (don't have an 8x4GB set)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Here are the timings and voltages for the 8x4GB set. I'm sending the 4x8GB set back as I think that is the worse of the two.

24576MB (Tripple Channel Mode)
          6x 4096MB (DDR3-1600)
          XMP 1.2 Profile 1: DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.50v

Frequency: Auto (DDR3-1600)
          tCL: Auto (9)
          tRCD: Auto (9)
          tRP: Auto (9)
          tRAS: Auto (24)
          tRFC: Auto (160)
          tWR: Auto (12)
          tWTR: Auto (8)
          tRRD: Auto (7)
          tRTP: Auto (8)
          tFAW: Auto (24)
          tCWL: Auto (8)

Command Rate: 2N

CPU Voltage: 1.136v
          VCCSA: 1.195v
          DRAM: 1.5v
          VTT: 1.202v

Comment

Can try raising DRAM voltage to 1.55, if no joy, try VCCSA to 1.25

Tman

Comment

What does raising the VCCSA voltage do?

Are either likely to cause different problems?

I'll try this evening, thanks.

Comment

No problems the settings are safe, just wanting to see if it might be something major wrong, if stable with this can try lowering the voltage .01 at a time. VCCSA is the System Agent Voltage, when running high speed/high capacity sticks it oftens requires extra voltage to the DRAM and MC (Memory Controller) as does the CPU require extra voltage for an OC, the VCCSA does voltages to other parts of the computer to keep up with the faster CPU/DRAM

Tman

Comment

That seems to have fixed it. My system will now POST with 32GB of memory installed and so far it seems stable.

Many thanks :-)

Comment

Glad to hear, keep in touch

Tman

Comment

i've been having trouble with this system for a while - keep getting BSODs when either gaming, watching video or running VMs.

always seems to be when memory usage jumps.

i've run memtest and that does show some errors, but i've also moved the memory modules to different slots and the errors are reported at similar addresses so i'm not totally sure the memory is at fault.

any advice to track down where the problem is and what i need to look at replacing?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X